Re: $300 To Spend on Tools

Late and slightly pricier, but...

As far as electric/battery  impact, the latest Milwaukee units are beasts.  2763-20 has 700 lb/ft forward torques, 1100 reverse.  Bare tool is available for under 200 new. 

I just upgraded and got a deal (cpo outlets, IIRC) where you buy 2 bare tools, you get free- (2) 5.0 Ah batteries, charger and bag.  I got impact and grinder for 388 all in.  My previous Milwaukee units are around 10 years old and I'm sending them to my brother, who is very happy to take them off my hands.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

FreeRangeTexan wrote:

Dont forget S&K and Proto when looking for tools. Their quality as good if not better than Craftsman but most people don't know the name and pass them off as junk. I have a scratch and dent Proto top box that i picked up for home and the quality is right up there with my Snap-On boxes at work. I have the HF low pro long reach steel jack Its awesome and worth the extra $. +1 on the timing light but we still have points on the Lark.

+1 for this.  I came across a Proto 44in top box for a good price a while ago. It looked good in the photos but in person it was too rough around the edges.  I bought the HF 26in top box of craigslist the other week.  It was $85 bucks and has a lot of drawers which I like.  It will probably brake, but ehh.  When I have a bit more space and money I'll invest in a quality chest and roll cart. 

I want to get a one on the high lift HF jacks but we already have a good hydrolic one and I can't justify $100 for just a little bit more convenience.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

jimbo_se-r wrote:

OK, I realize I'm late to this thread since the OP already bought tools, but my few cents in here for anyone going through this themselves:

Go cheap on things you may use infrequently, quality on things that see more use.  The only Harbor Freight power tool I own is a grinder, and it's still in the box.  I recently picked up a 20v DeWalt Impact (ok, my work picked it up for me...) and I totally love it.  It sucks to have an expensive tool that won't do a job, drills/impacts without enough power, things that break, etc.  I bought the HF grinder on sale for cheap, if it fails, I can buy another easily.

Air Compressor from HF was a no brainer, definitely useful for multiple projects.  Agree with getting a larger tank if you can afford it and have the space.  You can also read up on converting various sized propane tanks to expand capacity later if you've got space to keep those.  Read up on keeping moisture out of the tanks, relieve the pressure and drain when you won't be using it for a while.  For me, that's basically any time I fire it up, when I'm done I pull the plug underneath since it will be months till the next use.

For Harbor Freight, watch those sale ads!  Sign up for their mailing list, and if you search online you can even find links to their Inside Track coupons even if you aren't a member.  All you need is the code at checkout.

Others have already said watch Craigslist for tool sales, shops clear stuff out often, people have garage sales, etc.  You'll end up with lots of mismatched brands, but you pay pennies on the dollar.  Engine hoists are a great thing to find on Craigslist, usually half the price of one from Harbor Freight, which is already a good deal with a coupon/sale ad.

Eventually, you'll want to have a complete set of tools for the garage, and another set that you take to the track or maybe the local salvage yard.  This other set should be tools you won't cry over if they break or go missing (not your high dollar SnapOn set). Again, watch the HF ads for basic wrench/socket sets, extensions, etc.  Sears also has a low cost line of tools I've picked up a few of as well.   I've only left a handful of things at the salvage yards over the years, but I learned quickly not to take my best stuff (which at the time was my only stuff).  I don't worry about lending someone a tool at the salvage yard or at the track for this reason.  If it comes back, I've made a friend, if it doesn't, I'm not out that much.

I have been eyeing that 20v Dewalt impact but I decided that I really only need that much power one in a while.  I have a 18V woodworking impact, (1/4in quick release hex drive)  I have started using that for when I need to zip something apart.  It works great for low torque stuff and for the larger stuff I can just get out the beaker bar. 

I was so close to buying the air setup from HF.  If you go to the tent sales they have return units for sale at very low prices.  I almost picked up the 21 gallon compressor for $85.  But like the electric impact I decided that I don't really need it and a nice set of ratchets and wrenches would have more value.  The 311 piece set cam with the 75 tooth ratchets and they are so smooth.  I do know about using propane tanks to expand capacity.  I actual have a back pocket project to take this extra engine we have and build it into a compressor/generator.  There is a lot of projects in that pocket though.

I have basically expanded into two sets of tools already.   I have just got that new craftsman set to be the master set of tools for the shop where the racecar is.  I need the other set because I live in CT and the car is in MA.  I am going to take my mismatched set back to CT to use around my apt and on my motorcycle/road car.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

your all gonna laugh at me ... http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth … 66313.html

Harbor Freight Composite ratchet ... yes you heard that right ... I'm suggesting you but the cheap plastic hand tool from HF....

Everyone laughed at me until I left one in all my friends tool boxes (we call them Johnny appleseed ratchets)... It will soon be your favorite and when I return after a few months they have multiplied.

They are comfortable, they have a million "teeth" (great for small spaces), and since they flex I actually can get more torque on them by loading the force and bending the handle ... never broke one even the ones I beat with the hammers!

Buy a bunch, you can never have too many handles, you and your friends will be fighting over "who took the johnny appleseed?"

Jeff
Three Pedal Mafia
Ombudsman - Coalition of Alternate Breakfast Meats

littleturquoiseb wrote:

your all gonna laugh at me ... http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth … 66313.html

Harbor Freight Composite ratchet ... yes you heard that right ... I'm suggesting you but the cheap plastic hand tool from HF....

Everyone laughed at me until I left one in all my friends tool boxes (we call them Johnny appleseed ratchets)... It will soon be your favorite and when I return after a few months they have multiplied.

They are comfortable, they have a million "teeth" (great for small spaces), and since they flex I actually can get more torque on them by loading the force and bending the handle ... never broke one even the ones I beat with the hammers!

Buy a bunch, you can never have too many handles, you and your friends will be fighting over "who took the johnny appleseed?"

I have the 1/2" version, no complaints. Its light weight really makes those 12 hour thrash sessions a bit more tolerable.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?