Topic: camping

is anyone camping  on this grand adventure.  it looks like i'll be in the smart, travelling solo.  Michael has concerns that the bus is about to blow up.  I'm still looking at camping and would like to stay with others.  email asilverstein@hotmail.com or FB me.  i'm still using michaels log in

Looking forward to hell
Amanda

Re: camping

We're camping for a couple spots--for sure in Fallon, probably in Monterey, and we're trying but failing at finding a spot near Santa Cruz. We wanted to go hide in the redwoods (WOOD!) but it looks like the camping spot availability is as miserable as the hotel situation there.

Just booked a reservation at the Fallon RV Park for Tuesday: http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds-details/25311.htm

Monterey is "can we camp at Laguna Seca?" Because if there's an option to camp at Laguna Seca, you camp at Laguna Seca. Hopefully there's still room for a tent.

I haven't yet decided if I'm going, but if I do I'll be camping.   All I need is a spot to park my car and pitch my tent.   Since I'm a disaster at anything resembling cooking, I'll be depending on fast food for the entire trip.   I just hope I can find a place to take a shower at least once during the trip.

Alan

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

"I just hope I can find a place to take a shower at least once during the trip."

Large truck stops are the easiest for this.  YMCA day pass is second easiest.  State and National parks used to be easy but have gotten harder over the last 15 years unless you pay for a spot.  Do not forget public pools in smaller town that still have them.

5 (edited by ninjacoco 2016-08-01 08:34 PM)

Oh, it's hard even if you're looking to pay for a spot. Laguna Seca is open for Monday night, but booked up Saturday, FWIW. Santa Cruz is a big pile of nope everywhere I've looked into.

........anybody want a roommate in friggin' Santa Cruz? We've got sleeping bags, I guess. Yikes.

i'll very possibly be camping Friday night, before Concour's's's. i have a simple cot and sleeping bag setup that i often use on road trips, and i'm fine with sleeping off-road in rural (desert) areas, but i hope i can use a beach parking lot or equiv.

When I needed a room in Santa Cruz one time I ended up staying in Watsonville. Not so bad.

Everything's priced out of reality hotels-wise in Santa Cruz/Monterey. Like, that whole section of coast.

But oh, there's an AirBNB campsite for $80 a night! hmm I'm actually considering this, just to have somewhere with decent reviews to pitch a tent since all the state parks are full up. Anyone want to split one of those for Santa Cruz that lists OK for multiple tents? Most of those seem to offer an indoor bathroom, so huge bonus there.

I'm willing to split, although I think my group will have two tents, three, maybe four people, but we can all squeeze into one if need be. I was hoping to camp at Laguna Seca on Friday before Lemons, but haven't had time to call from work and am not interested in making an international call on my cell phone. But if Saturday's booked solid, I'm guessing Friday night will be as well.

Nuts--I ended up booking one of the one-tent sites. (Ugh, that's a thing.)

Laguna Seca was full that Saturday, but maybe you'll have luck Friday? We're in for Monday before the rally there.

i'll certainly split camping/hotel fees with anyone.  i'm looking to travel cheap.  i'll check the campground in marina, and with some friends that might offer there back yard.  i'll check in with everyone monday night

crazymike wrote:

i'll certainly split camping/hotel fees with anyone.  i'm looking to travel cheap.  i'll check the campground in marina, and with some friends that might offer their back yard.  i'll check in with everyone monday night

I will happily split fees with you and/or anyone else.   I would be happy with my sleeping bag on the floor of a Motel 6, a campground, a back yard, or whatever.

Alan

ninjacoco wrote:

Oh, it's hard even if you're looking to pay for a spot. Laguna Seca is open for Monday night, but booked up Saturday, FWIW. Santa Cruz is a big pile of nope everywhere I've looked into.

........anybody want a roommate in friggin' Santa Cruz? We've got sleeping bags, I guess. Yikes.

Got a room at the suggested Comfort Inn hotel on Friday night in Santa Cruz. Will be there Friday night to see everyone come strolling into town. I can offer up a place for you and your co driver to shower and floor space if you do not have better accommodations.

Bummed I cannot make it to the entire rally but life is getting in the way.

The room was on points so the price is right for me.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Am I the only one who's sleeping in their vic?  It may actually be hard for me to sleep through the night then, I'm use to sleeping only a couple hours and hitting the road again.

As for showers, baby wipe baths!

We managed to get into the Islander Motel in Santa Cruz...not too far from the HQ motel.  If anyone gets stuck without a room, shoot me a text.  602.281.5151.

jimmystikx wrote:

Am I the only one who's sleeping in their vic?  It may actually be hard for me to sleep through the night then, I'm use to sleeping only a couple hours and hitting the road again.

As for showers, baby wipe baths!

If I can't find a cheap motel (Super 8, Motel 6) nearby, I'll be sleeping anyplace I can roll out my sleeping bag.   If that doesn't work out, I will try sleeping in the car.

I like the idea of baby wipes, I may try that.

cdickman12 wrote:
ninjacoco wrote:

Got a room at the suggested Comfort Inn hotel on Friday night in Santa Cruz. Will be there Friday night to see everyone come strolling into town. I can offer up a place for you and your co driver to shower and floor space if you do not have better accommodations.

Bummed I cannot make it to the entire rally but life is getting in the way.

The room was on points so the price is right for me.

We finally found an AirBNB one-person campsite. Woods! I'll smell extra piney for the next day.

We'll let you know if that falls through, though.