Topic: Middle finger

Does anyone know Lemons feels about "unsportsmanlike conduct"..

Is the the middle finger during a race considered unsportsmanlike conduct?

This last race a faster car must not have liked something I did then flipped me off.  I was shocked to see that and kinda surprised me. I re-watched my video probably 100 times and cannot figure out what the driver was so upset about.   In the other sanctioning body's I race with this would get you DQ / Time penalty or even kicked out for the day (maybe this is why I was shocked by it). 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84233763/flipoffracing.png

Re: Middle finger

Meh, it's just a finger.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

Yeah, if this offends..please leave the paddock before nightfall and certainly do not show up for the meat of BS.

Is it petty and childish, sure.  Is actionable...lordy I hope not.

I only communicate in that fashion to Red Preludes. But they easily deserve it each time.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

5 (edited by gunn 2016-08-03 04:37 PM)

He could be suggesting a "point-by" for the next time he passes you.
-g

PS. I think unsportsmanlike conduct would be something like intentionally swerving to try and run someone off the track or using someone else's car as a way to make a hairpin turn because you've driven your car beyond it's braking capabilities.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

BrianZ wrote:

This last race a faster car must not have liked something I did then flipped me off.  I was shocked to see that and kinda surprised me. I re-watched my video probably 100 times and cannot figure out what the driver was so upset about.   In the other sanctioning body's I race with this would get you DQ / Time penalty or even kicked out for the day (maybe this is why I was shocked by it). 

I've probably given the finger, or some other such similar form of communication, a couple of times over the past 8 years of Lemons.  One I can remember in particular was when I gave somebody a point by, left them room, took my foot off the throttle, and they still managed to hit me as they passed me.

If you honestly don't know what you did to piss them off, then it was probably something stupid, like not recognizing that you were holding them up for a lap or three.  I think the proper thing to do is wait for the track to go cold, give tempers (at east his) time to cool down as well, then go find them at the end of the day and have a polite conversation.  Most Lemons racers I know that have had some kind of 'altercation' on the track have ended up sharing a beer at the end of the day and making a new friend.

bs

I've probably given the finger, or some other such similar form of communication, a couple of times over the past 4 years of Lemons.  Several I can remember in particular was when I gave somebody a point by, left them room, took my foot off the throttle, and they still managed to almost hit me as they passed me.

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

OnkelUdo wrote:

Yeah, if this offends..please leave the paddock before nightfall and certainly do not show up for the meat of BS.

Is it petty and childish, sure.  Is actionable...lordy I hope not.

This exactly. I've thrown the finger maybe twice and I got it once, that I've seen. It's a thing- I will always remember LFMAO watching a video of Scrubby getting chopped off by a GTO at Sonoma. Finger popped up like a jack in the box. ZING!

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

BrianZ wrote:

That looks like California, Probably just an automatic response to passing someone.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

wow... thanks for the quick replies!

I'm not necessarily offended by it.. but just not used to it in wheel to wheel racing. Our two cars seemed to be very similar in the corners with his having an edge in the straits.  If I did block him never did it intentionally, just driving the racing line (I know there is no racing line in Lemons).   

If I flipped off everyone that blocked, turn down, or didn't move out of the way I would only have one hand on the wheel all the time. 

I look at is as "its just racing"  and in Lemons you can NEVER tell the skill level on the car.  I don't assume anyone will let me by and if they cut me off or do something erratic I just take note for next time I see them. 

Its just a FUN race.. I guess others take it WAY more seriously than I do.

I use it sparingly.  Ya gotta earn it.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

BrianZ wrote:

I guess others take it WAY more seriously than I do.

Yes. They do. Something that surprised me a bit when I first started but I've grown to love. Stupid cars, serious racing.

13 (edited by fleming95 2016-08-03 09:41 PM)

Looks like you were flipped off by someone driving a Volvo station wagon, who _passed_ you, and the car in all likelihood was recently organically harvested from:

a.  Alameda, where it was driven 3 miles a day, slowly
b.  or in Berkeley, slightly less slowly, between fancy food shops and therapy sessions

because you were too slow?

Consider yourself a lucky guy.  Probably the fastest that car ever went has been in its Lemons career.

Lemons in a nutshell!

Maybe he was channeling Lewis Hamilton... http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/lewis-ham … 1784218195

He was saying "You are #1" take the compliment and carry on

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Means pass over the top if you can?

I've used it. Guy repeatedly would turn into me once my bumper got to his front wheel and try to push me off track. I'm all for racing but waiting to push people off track at the point they are supposed to be giving room repeatedly is not cool. I tried to go have an adult conversation with him about his tactics. He was no where to be found. What was the kicker was I donated brake cooling ducting, ducts, and tubes to bolt to their backing plates because they were melting down brakes the day before. I gave it to them so they could race that day. I let the team know what he was doing.

It should be used sparingly so it keeps its meaning.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCF4ydX23Rk

Mr. Bean says that's what your supposed to do

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Jv-2SdPwxFs/maxresdefault.jpg

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

18 (edited by RobL 2016-08-04 05:49 AM)

BrianZ wrote:

Our two cars seemed to be very similar in the corners with his having an edge in the straits.  If I did block him never did it intentionally, just driving the racing line (I know there is no racing line in Lemons).   

If I flipped off everyone that blocked, turn down, or didn't move out of the way I would only have one hand on the wheel all the time.   

Interesting observations here. 

You talk about just driving the racing line.  If you are driving on that, you are making your car big and wide especially if you are 'leaving room' from the track edges.  Someone who is a little faster than you might need a little help from you to make the pass easy and without drama.  IE if they caught up to you, they are faster, let them pass, you are not in the same race.  If you continue to drive the 'racing line' with cars queueing behind you,  well... 

If you say that the cars are very similar in the corners - was that when you were in front?  It can seem that way if they have to slow down in the corners for you. 

In fact, let me theorize something - they were faster than you in the corners.  They were able to carry more speed out of the corner and that would make them appear to be faster than you on the straights.  So what would happen is that they would get a good run off one corner, catch you on the straight, but then you would take the 'racing line' away from them on the next corner and make them slow down to your speed (making it appear you were even).  Lather, rinse, repeat for a few corners/laps and I'd get frustrated too.  So, once they passed you - how fast did they pull away?

You have video, post it.  It's all theory until we can see some data.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

This happens to me (me being the car catching someone who then keeps their car "wide") a couple of times every race.  A majority of drivers drive their car in a way so that I can pass and neither of us really slow down.  It's a skill we all have to learn.  Having driven a class C car for years it isn't always easy.  So I don't judge.

So.. If someone is making it hard on me I presume they don't know what they are doing as opposed to just being a jerk (unless it's a certain red car in the Midwest and they're no longer fast enough to hold me up).  So, I've never flipped someone off.  I don't think it is necessary.  Unless there is some previous history between teams or drivers.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

That Volvo was leading the entire race until late Sunday with a mechanical problem. If I see those guys or many others like cerveza, eyesore, blows, discount, etc, in my mirror I consider that a blue flag.

https://www.cycleheart.com/content/images/thumbs/0004094_horn-broken-watch-for-finger-sticker_550.jpeg

Silversleeves Racing
Austin Mini #42 | John Lemmons Wolseley Hornet
Austin 1800 #49  V6 Landcrab - Organizer's Choice PNW2013 | Class C Winner 2015
Barbie's Corvette #44 - Organizer's Choice PNW2014

I got one once for basically blocking a guy to keep him from passing under yellow.  It didn't work of course, and by all outward appearances it looked to the corner workers and tow crew that he was flipping them off whilst passing a line of cars and strafing the tow truck. 

Funny, I didn't see that car back on track for the rest of my stint.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

23 (edited by BrianZ 2016-08-04 02:40 PM)

RobL wrote:
BrianZ wrote:

Our two cars seemed to be very similar in the corners with his having an edge in the straits.  If I did block him never did it intentionally, just driving the racing line (I know there is no racing line in Lemons).   

Interesting observations here. 

You talk about just driving the racing line.  If you are driving on that, you are making your car big and wide especially if you are 'leaving room' from the track edges.  Someone who is a little faster than you might need a little help from you to make the pass easy and without drama.  IE if they caught up to you, they are faster, let them pass, you are not in the same race.  If you continue to drive the 'racing line' with cars queueing behind you,  well... 

If you say that the cars are very similar in the corners - was that when you were in front?  It can seem that way if they have to slow down in the corners for you. 

In fact, let me theorize something - they were faster than you in the corners.  They were able to carry more speed out of the corner and that would make them appear to be faster than you on the straights.  So what would happen is that they would get a good run off one corner, catch you on the straight, but then you would take the 'racing line' away from them on the next corner and make them slow down to your speed (making it appear you were even).  Lather, rinse, repeat for a few corners/laps and I'd get frustrated too.  So, once they passed you - how fast did they pull away?

You have video, post it.  It's all theory until we can see some data.

I'm not looking to call out any individual driver or team.  I was just surprised to see the finger.  I can understand getting frustrated passing a slightly slower car but that is part of racing (especially multi class racing) and in Lemons its incredibly difficult to tell what car is in what class on track. 

If the driver felt I was blocking him on purpose I apologize as that was not my intent.  My intent was to race!

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

This happens to me (me being the car catching someone who then keeps their car "wide") a couple of times every race.  A majority of drivers drive their car in a way so that I can pass and neither of us really slow down.  It's a skill we all have to learn.  Having driven a class C car for years it isn't always easy.  So I don't judge.

So.. If someone is making it hard on me I presume they don't know what they are doing as opposed to just being a jerk (unless it's a certain red car in the Midwest and they're no longer fast enough to hold me up).  So, I've never flipped someone off.  I don't think it is necessary.  Unless there is some previous history between teams or drivers.

Funny that a certain red Prelude came up twice in this discussion...last year I found myself apologizing to the aforementioned team for spinning in front of them and thanking them for not collecting me. This year I had to take evasive maneuvers on more than one occasion to avoid them running into me when I was trying to "skinny up" and let them pass. After a couple of those I started getting real tired of the near misses and just decided to get 3 cars wide whenever I saw them in my rearview, that way when they rear end me it will absolutely be their fault and no room for interpretation. Never actually gave them a middle finger point by though, maybe next race I'll have the opportunity try that one out. I am told that they are salt of the earth in the paddock, apparently the red paint off gasses red mist in front of them whenever they are on track.

Butt Sweat & Beers.

We use the finger as our "I'm coming in" signal. It's so meaningless in modern society.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"