Re: Middle finger

All my fingers are usually pretty busy in a death grip on the wheel, trying not to hurtle the car off of the track.

El_Macho wrote:

we were running either first or second overall in the Volvo at that point. OP, operating #199 blue "petty crash" Subaru and not in the race, perhaps afflicted with the Cavalier effect, decided he would not let me pass. He very aggressively -- moreso than ANY other car out there -- moved to block me whenever he could. Not race me. Block me. So when I finally got around him, I showed him he's #1 and with good reason.

Our car is surely not the fastest, but you have to know, at least IMO, where you are in the standings relevant to the other cars, especially the leaders.  That is yet a another good reason to have a working radio.  Here one instance that comes to mind:

Barber Race 2015.  This was our first race in the new car (drove and old Prelude for 5 years prior) and we had a few growing pains.  Transponder issues, driver got sick in the car, almost lost a wheel, etc.  By the last hour or so of the race we were in like 20th place or something and the Road Warrior E30 is driving the wheels off trying to catch the race leading Save The TaTas Camaro.  I have a radio, my team watches Race Monitor, so we all know who the leaders are.  They radio to remind me and to keep an eye out.  As I see the Road Warriors closing, I move OFF THE RACING LINE, and point them by so they can move on a dice it out with the Camaro.  Of course I have the right to just drive the line and say f*ck you to these guys, but I'm in 20th place so I move over as a courtesy.  After the race the Road Warriors thanked me for the gesture, and I asked "Would you have done the same if our positions were reversed?"  They said "Absolutely", which is why I did it.  Just mutual respect IMO. 

The flip side of this is when we are doing well (finished 5th ate CMP in the spring) I know who is ahead of and behind me.  When a faster car was dogging me who's running in 20th place, I just point him by.  Why would I hold him up or race him hard when he is like 20 laps down?  Again, knowing what car is in what position helps you manage this.  Get a good radio, get the Race Monitor app on your phone, and keep up with what's going on in the race.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

53 (edited by gunn 2016-08-08 09:15 AM)

ninjacoco wrote:
FPRbuzz wrote:

Meh, it's just a finger.

That.

I mean, if horn use is highly discouraged, you've got to do something.

Wait, what? "Horn use is highly discouraged"? Really?

I specifically left my horn on the car and re-wired it to one of the buttons on our "fast and furious" quality quick detach steering wheel specifically so we could voice our displeasure at driver's being too aggro.

In 6 races, I think I've only used it twice.
-g

PS. It helps to start out with a slower car. Just like getting C's in college, the time you get passed it hurts but then you get used to the idea. I always took a bit of perverse pleasure in watching cars blow past me under sketchy  conditions (like right in the middle of a blind turn) only to find themselves in the dirt or backwards a few turns later. Even with a v8 now, I still let "faster" cars (or ones that think they are faster) blow past and just pray for their comeuppance. It always arrives (I just hope that they don't take someone else out with them).

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

gunn wrote:

PS. It helps to start out with a slower car. Just like getting C's in college, the time you get passed it hurts but then you get used to the idea. I always took a bit of perverse pleasure in watching cars blow past me under sketchy  conditions (like right in the middle of a blind turn) only to find themselves in the dirt or backwards a few turns later. Even with a v8 now, I still let "faster" cars (or ones that think they are faster) blow past and just pray for their comeuppance. It always arrives (I just hope that they don't take someone else out with them).

I share in this perverse pleasure. I'm in a slow moving 3500lbs boat. Make a sketchy pass where ever you want as long as it doesn't affect me.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

First, an answer about the finger. Who cares. If you see it directed at you, you probably screwed up. We're all adults, you should be able to shake off the occasional finger or swear word.

Next, lets talk about why you received it. Let's pretend for a second that you really believe that all you were doing was holding the racing line. If that's true let's end it right now. There is no racing line in Lemons. There are too many cars. If you are blindly following the racing line you are being an asshole who is likely chopping the nose off of other cars constantly. If that volvo was in the top 5, you were not racing them. You were merely sharing a track with them. Blindly following the "racing line" does not make you an innocent faultless driver, it makes you a jerk. Learn to use your mirrors and let people past who are faster.

I have run into a few cars who blindly follow the racing line, and on about every corner they almost cause an accident because they turn in on cars trying to get around and the options for that car are hit the line follower, drive off the track, or stomp on the brakes and risk a rear end collision by someone behind them. Similar on corner exit when the line follower drifts out into cars trying to pass. From inside your car you believe that you're closely matched because they aren't passing, when in fact they usually are quicker and they're just afraid that you're going to cause an accident if they approach it wrong. Don't be that asshole.

Yes I'm being blunt and abrasive, but it appears the kindly suggest you may not be seeing the whole picture approach isn't working. I've also spent the past 4 years learning how to drive a slow car in Lemons. I learned race #1 that you are not racing every car out there and that you get the hell out of the way for cars you have no chance of beating.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I guess I'll voice the minority opinion.  I think throwing a middle finger (or the Euro equivalent, whatever) is inappropriate and indicates more about the gesturer (<- not a word) than the recipient.

There's a reason why that sort of behavior is prohibited in virtually every sport.  While it is contrary to human nature that competitors always feel respect toward one another, there is value in acting as though they do.  Think what you like about the asshole driver, but treat him or her with maturity and respect and it becomes a habit.  Bitch about it over the radio if you want, but keep your fingers to yourself.

Also, I think that discipline and self-control are hallmarks of the successful driver.  The more effectively you can suppress irritation or anger or whatever on track the sooner you can get back to driving the car.  Spending the time and attention to "communicate" with the guy that pissed you off is counter-productive.  If you think their behavior needs rectifying then consider tracking them down in the paddock for a chat.

Also also, Lemons has a total lack of rules around the whole blocking issue, so it is technically okay to go all rolling-chicane on everybody's ass.  It is neither a good idea nor polite, but it is totally "legal" to race each and every car as hard as you can.  This often leads to the amusing "fine, block the inside; I'll go the long way around" outside fuck-you pass.

Also also also, I find the palms-to-the-sky "what the fuck" gesture to be more relevant in most cases and it helps hone one's knee car control.

Scott

gunn wrote:
ninjacoco wrote:
FPRbuzz wrote:

Meh, it's just a finger.

That.

I specifically left my horn on the car and re-wired it to one of the buttons on our "fast and furious" quality quick detach steering wheel specifically so we could voice our displeasure at driver's being too aggro.

-g

Not to mention the utility of having a horn in the Paddock, or as one could call it, wandering oblivious people land.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Like button pressed... I'm gonna dig out some video from our last race...

hoverducky wrote:

I guess I'll voice the minority opinion.  I think throwing a middle finger (or the Euro equivalent, whatever) is inappropriate and indicates more about the gesturer (<- not a word) than the recipient.

There's a reason why that sort of behavior is prohibited in virtually every sport.  While it is contrary to human nature that competitors always feel respect toward one another, there is value in acting as though they do.  Think what you like about the asshole driver, but treat him or her with maturity and respect and it becomes a habit.  Bitch about it over the radio if you want, but keep your fingers to yourself.

Also, I think that discipline and self-control are hallmarks of the successful driver.  The more effectively you can suppress irritation or anger or whatever on track the sooner you can get back to driving the car.  Spending the time and attention to "communicate" with the guy that pissed you off is counter-productive.  If you think their behavior needs rectifying then consider tracking them down in the paddock for a chat.

Also also, Lemons has a total lack of rules around the whole blocking issue, so it is technically okay to go all rolling-chicane on everybody's ass.  It is neither a good idea nor polite, but it is totally "legal" to race each and every car as hard as you can.  This often leads to the amusing "fine, block the inside; I'll go the long way around" outside fuck-you pass.

Also also also, I find the palms-to-the-sky "what the fuck" gesture to be more relevant in most cases and it helps hone one's knee car control.

Scott

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

hoverducky wrote:

snipped out the part i'm replying to.

I guess I see it as a valuable option, when it's deserved. There are situations where some driver is being in all honesty, an asshat. And they have not taken the many more kindly hints from others. Or they have done something egregious. In very specific circumstances I believe it's justified. we all know that stuff happens in racing, and I 99.9% of the time will let it slide while just bitching on the radio, and usually by the next corner i'm over it. But I have run into a driver who just does not get it and at that point they warrant the gesture. Talk about it in person later, but at least the gesture alerts the other person that they are doing something that is viewed as very seriously wrong.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

...99.9% of the time will let it slide while just bitching on the radio, and usually by the next corner i'm over it. But I have run into a driver who just does not get it and at that point they warrant the gesture.

Agreed, I do the same.  I think I've used the finger maybe twice in the 8 years I've been racing.  Now the open palms to the sky better known as the "WTF" gesture, I probably do that 10 times per stint...LOL.

In the 8 years I've been doing this I have only been really riled-up one time by a guy in a slower car that was clearly blocking me on purpose, not just in a corner or two, but for two laps.  At that time I decided he had about 1 more corner before I broke out the old chrome horn on him, but fortunately I got by and didn't have to use it.  I've never ran into that scenario before or since.

Captain

61 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2016-08-08 02:13 PM)

The need for the finger must be much higher outside the Midwest...

I do the palms up in there air

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

gunn wrote:
ninjacoco wrote:
FPRbuzz wrote:

Meh, it's just a finger.

That.

-g

Hahaha, I still remember that Mustang? with all the horns and sirens getting the Curse, I guess.

I don't understand the "not letting someone by" mentality.  Unless it's the last half hour of racing for a position.  Why bother?  If a car catches me, I let them by. It's extremely frustrating and dangerous when you catch a slower car that feels the need to suddenly drive with the mirrors. If a car catches you.  They are faster than you are.  Let them by.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

ninjacoco wrote:
gunn wrote:
ninjacoco wrote:

That.

-g

Hahaha, I still remember that Mustang? with all the horns and sirens getting the Curse, I guess.

We were in the garage next to them...  You know that was Leh Keen driving.  They kept hitting the sirens at 2-4AM which certainly didn't help them not get the curse.  Also, when they got the curse, they were given time to get parts off the car - They grabbed trick shocks, carbon fiber driveshaft, headers, etc.  Complete and total cheater car. 

I don't understand the "not letting someone by" mentality.  Unless it's the last half hour of racing for a position.  Why bother?  If a car catches me, I let them by. It's extremely frustrating and dangerous when you catch a slower car that feels the need to suddenly drive with the mirrors. If a car catches you.  They are faster than you are.  Let them by.

Read what OP has been writing...  He came out to race.  So when someone he perceives to be in a car that he can race with comes along, he wants to have that fun with them.  This is reinforced by the fact that El_Macho comes along and said that the driver hit him while overdriving the car trying to keep up.  I understand it.  I like having fun passing and repassing my friends on the track too.  But again, if I'm not in the same race as them, I'll make their passes easy (even with point bys) and not take chances overtaking them back.  It's still racing, we're still having fun but it's not at 10/10ths intensity where a mistake would take us both out.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

"Lane not Line" is what I preach to my Team.
Stay out of the hairballs.
I watch the videos and I am gasping for air with the low percentage passes I witness.
There is no need for It!
I have driven a fast car ( Saturn 7th overall and B winning) and a slow car (69 P6 Rover....nuff said) both cars never benefited from the LINE!
Overall finish has to do with Pit Strategy and staying on track cleanly!
One flag and you lost 1st place in any Class.
One Wreck and your weekend Sucks!
One Turn lost to another car and you have a few thousand more to get it back.
Basically..... Don't sweat the small stuff!
And unless you are a Digit amputee (my Bad if you are.)
You have a middle finger too......Show him yours!

Microphone dropped!!!!

Manny.

I don't remember ever getting the finger, but I would look at it as instant feedback on my driving.  Just like a thumbs up for a point by.

I have only raced class C cars, so I get passed a lot.  Our 'team' tries to be predictable and we give point by's early and often. I would reserve my middle finger feed back for those that try and pit other cars behind me or cut me off after a point by.  I'm look at is as just trying to help them improve their driving skills.  I don't actually remember giving the finger, but I am sure I must have at least once.

Being in a slow car, you get passed a lot by the same cars.  Many of the top teams will watch for a point by, pass when they know you see them, or pass at a portion of the track where it is lower risk.  Some other drivers take a little more risk for little gain.  For the courteous teams I know I will point them by earlier.  It also depends on the time of the day as it seems the start of the day, and especially the end of both days are much more aggressive.

It also helps to cruise the paddock at the end of the first day and talk with some of the teams about their perspective about your driving as well as give them constructive feedback on theirs.  It's a lot of work being in a slow car, just like it must be a lot of work in a fast car (I have no direct experience).

I was passed dozens of times by that same Volvo in Arizona in the Excel/Austin America/MG Metro.  I don't remember them being particularly aggressive, at least until they let Steve McDaniel crash into the Model T - GT in it (same Volvo?).

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

I was passed dozens of times by that same Volvo in Arizona in the Excel/Austin America/MG Metro.  I don't remember them being particularly aggressive, at least until they let Steve McDaniel crash into the Model T - GT in it (same Volvo?).

Yep, same Vo.

Guildenstern wrote:

Not to mention the utility of having a horn in the Paddock, or as one could call it, wandering oblivious people land.

I'm thinking of reinstalling a horn in our car just for this reason.

bs

I once let a faster driver by with two laps left in a race. He won on laps and we finished 2nd by 15 seconds. I knew that I had less talent, and my team was urging me to hold off the other car. The only thing that was going to happen if I blocked him was resentment and eventually over-driving myself off the track with whatever consequence that would bring. I don't mind losing to a better driver.

During the previous 10 laps I was being help up by a car that was almost equal to mine in speed. I didn't throw a finger or hand gesture, but I sure hope that spectators couldn't hear the constant stream of inappropriate language emanating from my helmet! It's my version of "scream" therapy.

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

rb92673 wrote:

Being in a slow car, you get passed a lot by the same cars.  Many of the top teams will watch for a point by, pass when they know you see them, or pass at a portion of the track where it is lower risk.  Some other drivers take a little more risk for little gain.  For the courteous teams I know I will point them by earlier.  It also depends on the time of the day as it seems the start of the day, and especially the end of both days are much more aggressive.

<<Pressing the "Like" button>>>

I say "thank you" to someone who clearly gets it.   Unless I'm in a pack of cars, or I'm in a super busy section of the track, I always give a "thank you wave" to those courteous drivers who pointed me by.  A lot of us who have and practice courtesy moves/gestures came up through the HPDE ranks and were taught to do so.  Of course some drivers started W2W racing before ever driving on a track, which I don't agree with, but it is what it is, and we all have to just deal with it.

Captain

revvhappy wrote:

I once let a faster driver by with two laps left in a race. He won on laps and we finished 2nd by 15 seconds. I knew that I had less talent, and my team was urging me to hold off the other car. The only thing that was going to happen if I blocked him was resentment and eventually over-driving myself off the track with whatever consequence that would bring. I don't mind losing to a better driver.

Good for you.  Intentionally blocking the faster driver for two laps could earn you the chrome horn, and dare I say, deservedly so.  If we exited the last corner together and I had to block you to win, yes, I'd do it, but not for two whole laps.  Like you said, there are cars and drivers that are better and faster, and I'm OK with it when they beat me.

Captain

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I always assume it's the passing driver's responsibility to pass safely. I can't always see you coming if there are distractions ahead, and even if I do, faster cars have to pass through my blind spots at one point or another. For example, I chased a car down at Barber this year who was running maybe a second or two slower than me per lap. I had no advantage on the straights, so passing him was pretty tough. I would catch him, not get a clean place to pass, then get backed off by traffic over and over for about 30 minutes before I passed him. He wasn't overtly blocking, but he wasn't leaving much room either, and I think he did the perfect thing. I loved it because passing him was challenging and I wasn't just out there turning laps.

That said, I'll leave racing room for any car that has caught up to me as if they caught me, they're probably faster than me. I will occasionally block if I don't like where they are trying to pass; turn 10b (long course) at gingerman is a great example of this. It's a downhill breaking zone that is easy to overcook; I'm not going to let somebody on the inside of me there because I don't want them sliding out into me if I leave them a lane.

As far as the line is concerned, we all know where it is more or less, which means if you're only driving the line and being predictable, passing can be done safely enough even though it might take a multi corner strategy or going 4 wide around slower cars into turn 1 at Barber. All experienced Lemons racers know the line and they know the difference between predictably driving the line and blocking like an asshole. Newbies generally won't give you the finger because they're either afraid to take their hands off the wheel or have already crashed out. If you got the finger, you done goofed. If you don't know what you did, then you were probably being way too aggro.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

VKZ24 wrote:

A lot of us who have and practice courtesy moves/gestures came up through the HPDE ranks and were taught to do so.  Of course some drivers started W2W racing before ever driving on a track, which I don't agree with, but it is what it is, and we all have to just deal with it.

I'm not wholly convinced that solely HPDE is the right training ground for this as one of the main emphasis seems to be on "driving the line" as quickly as possible which may be the root behavior as to why this whole discussion got kicked off.  W2W requires more spatial awareness which also sounds like a possible issue in the original beef. I've done HPDE but mostly just to shake down Lemons cars and wasn't super impressed.  A number of people with waay more money than ability and classed based on potential car speed, not actual speed with another large group that tends to complain about not being able to set quick time because they were held up.  It kinda seems like they have their own inclusive culture.  I get the same inclusive feeling about autocross.  After spending about 40 years in some form of racing or another, my primary focus is more towards having fun while competing as opposed to competing at the exclusion of fun.  In this discussion, Anton's input carries the most weight with me so I would tend to go with his assessment.

I kinda get the feeling that whatever training ground people came from is their favored training ground but IMO, a combination of things is best.  Most of my background is dirt sprint car type racing with road course and oval karting thrown in.  Endurance racing is it's own animal.  Lemons endurance racing is an animal different than that.  You need a combination of skills, knowing where to be on the track and when based upon your spatial awareness.  It's sorta like being the 16 yr old cheerleader surrounded by horny football players.  You have to conduct yourself as if everyone is trying to eff you and you just want to get to class as quickly as possible with the least amount of interaction in order to keep your chastity.  It's endurance racing so the primary focus should be patience.  No one single iteration of racing can prepare you in advance for Lemons but experience in many and the ability to adjust to that style does.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

I'm not wholly convinced that solely HPDE is the right training ground for this as one of the main emphasis seems to be on "driving the line" as quickly as possible which may be the root behavior as to why this whole discussion got kicked off.  W2W requires more spatial awareness which also sounds like a possible issue in the original beef. I've done HPDE but mostly just to shake down Lemons cars and wasn't super impressed.  A number of people with waay more money than ability and classed based on potential car speed, not actual speed with another large group that tends to complain about not being able to set quick time because they were held up.  It kinda seems like they have their own inclusive culture.  I get the same inclusive feeling about autocross.  After spending about 40 years in some form of racing or another, my primary focus is more towards having fun while competing as opposed to competing at the exclusion of fun.  In this discussion, Anton's input carries the most weight with me so I would tend to go with his assessment.

I didn't mean to imply that HPDE was the perfect training ground for racing.   It does teach you car control and how to play well with others by communication via hand signals and such.  Knowing the line certainly helps, as opposed to a jack hole who drives in the middle of the track with no clue where he should be.  Before my 1st race I had done probably 50 HPDE events and after 2 laps I told my team (also HPDE veterans) that the ONLY similarity between Lemons racing and HPDE was both involved driving a car on a track!  It was like I was a good swimmer, assuming the side of the pool was close enough, but I had just been thrown into the ocean!

As for your 'not impressed comment, not all HPDE programs are created equal.  My club's program is a non-profit that runs 3 events per year at CMP and VIR.  We focus on teaching how to drive, not on how many dollars goes into the bank.  As long as we break even, we're good.  NASA and others operate as a business and their model is totally different.

cheseroo wrote:

No one single iteration of racing can prepare you in advance for Lemons but experience in many and the ability to adjust to that style does.

Agreed.  Having SOME experience on a race track is a big help!

Captain

75 (edited by CPT_Trans_Continental 2016-08-09 02:26 PM)

It's like driving in the fast lane, if someone comes up behind you, just move over. As soon as they pass move back into the fast lane (race line). Slow cars should stay to the right (or left out of the race line) and try not to impede the flow of traffic. If this seems wrong, I am sorry you weren't hugged enough as a child.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook