Topic: Anyone else coming from Canada?

I was wondering if there are any fellow countrymen/women who will be making the long trek down to California for the rally? I figure it would be a good idea to meet up somewhere along the way. Gogmorgo and I will be heading out on the 12th from Saskatoon, SK.

Driver of the White Unicorn (1976 Impala) in the 2016 Lemons Rally

Re: Anyone else coming from Canada?

Hello,

Yes we will be heading down from Canada as well! From Kamloops BC. We plan to be in Seattle the night of the 13th. 14th will be Gold Beach Or. Then at the check in hotel for the 15th.

DawgStrip wrote:

14th will be Gold Beach Or.

Ah, the scenic route down 101. I'll probably do that as well, but at a more leisurely pace. My tentative schedule is Seattle to Gardiner, OR, on Saturday (I have family there), then to somewhere San Francisco-ish on Sunday, then the rest of the way on Monday.

I'll stop if I see you in distress along the way, assuming I make it that far myself.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I am not, however, I can be hella bribed with Timbits. <3

(I love your junk food. I can't help it.)

5 (edited by gogmorgo 2016-08-08 10:29 PM)

Would bribing you be productive? Are you a secret judge? What do puffalumps eat? tongue

Also, just tossing "leaving from Saskatoon on the 12th" out to the world puts a strange sort of finality on my sleep-deprived tossing around of ideas that may or may not work. The Niva currently has no brakes (at all) and is 350 miles on the wrong side of Saskatoon... And we don't know what route we're taking. Or anything else yet. Doing this properly I am. big_smile
Parts just came in from Ukraine today, and I just drove 120km through a storm system that spawned at least one tornado ten miles from me and a couple funnel clouds pretty well directly overhead that I couldn't see because of the rain and hail. Hopefully they go in without a hitch. If not I'll be making the trip in my 500,000km daily-driver MJ.

I think the route I was tossing around would have us somewhere near Kalispell, MT on the night of the 12th, Kennewick, WA on the 13th, Crater Lake, OR on the 14th, and Monterey on the 15th, all locations being +/- a whole hell of a lot, obviously. Probably this would still be an attempt at direct from one point to the next, but I've also put forward the idea of hitting the coast, probably around Crescent City or Eureka. Gold Beach might be too far north to be practical, avoiding Portland was pretty big on Atomic's list of things to do for some reason. The more obvious (and direct) route would take us past Yellowstone, but would end up with us doubling back along the same corridor on the first day of the rally, so I didn't want to go that route.
Plus as my Dad would put it, the shortest path between any two points is boring. cool

Haha, Portland would not be so kind on my wallet considering my new ride. God help us if we get stuck in any city during rush hour. Pretty sure this thing will drop into gallons per mile. And sounds good DawgStrip; hopefully we can meet up somewhere on the last stretch along the coast towards Monterey. Best of luck, I am looking forward to seeing that Festiva in person!

http://i.imgur.com/Srr38rq.jpg

Driver of the White Unicorn (1976 Impala) in the 2016 Lemons Rally

And he means new. On Friday he told me he still didn't have a car and was going to look at some on Saturday.

Well after changing my Jeep's fuel pump in Lethbridge, we made it all the way to Ritzville, so we're not super far behind schedule. Might be able to stop somewhere on the 15th to meet up with anyone else wanting to convoy down the coast. The plan is still just to Crater Lake, but depending on our pace we might push further.

9 (edited by ninjacoco 2016-08-14 07:35 PM)

gogmorgo wrote:

Would bribing you be productive? Are you a secret judge? What do puffalumps eat? tongue

something something concours maybe??? (................not the rally)

Puffalumps' owners like the birthday cake and apple fritter Timbits a lot. smile Fluffy eats souls, but that's it.

Seriously, though, good luck!

Well, given the three-day drive through Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, and a large chunk of California, we decided the TimBits weren't going to keep. So, uh... sorry aboot that, eh?

We spent the night in Goldbeach Or. So far so good. Hitting the road again soon and hope to make it to the event check in tonight.

The Hamster has been disgustingly efficient at 42MPG...

We're just getting packed up to go. Spent the night in Grants Pass. The Jeep's been holding steady at 17mpg...

gogmorgo wrote:

Well, given the three-day drive through Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, and a large chunk of California, we decided the TimBits weren't going to keep. So, uh... sorry aboot that, eh?

That's okay.