Topic: How have you shortened your life span working on your hooptie?

Some hack An excellent author on Jalopnik just posted this article - All The Gross Toxic Automotive Chemicals I’m Pretty Sure I’ve Ingested

The author, whoever it may be, provides some excellent examples of self-toxification via motorsports. There are more I can think of, such as my assault on my kidneys via transdermal and inhalation-based exposure to acetone.

I'd like to hear others' examples of life-abbreviation.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Re: How have you shortened your life span working on your hooptie?

http://image-store.slidesharecdn.com/98631d4c-a6e6-11e3-b32f-12313d239d6c-large.jpeg

My mother lived that kind of life and passed the torch to me.   I am doing my best to live up to her example.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

billybobster wrote:

Some hack An excellent author on Jalopnik just posted this article - All The Gross Toxic Automotive Chemicals I’m Pretty Sure I’ve Ingested

The author, whoever it may be, provides some excellent examples of self-toxification via motorsports. There are more I can think of, such as my assault on my kidneys via transdermal and inhalation-based exposure to acetone.

I'd like to hear others' examples of life-abbreviation.

Why you snubbing ninjacoco? Did her anti-miata piece cause this?

For me, the nerves and anxiety just from trying multiple times to put a team together, waiting for the damn car to come back from the cage maker (seriously come on guy), and the stress of never having any money that isn't for racecar parts, and the garbage cheap food that budget entails has probably taken about 2 years off.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

5 (edited by billybobster 2016-08-14 05:01 PM)

Guildenstern wrote:

Why you snubbing ninjacoco? Did her anti-miata piece cause this?

Nahh... just some joshing. I like her articles on Jalopnik muchly. I hope Jalopnik lives on post-whatever is happening with the auction/sale/whatever.

Even the anti-Miata piece I liked, despite the fact my track day car is a Miata. I agree, Miata owners are often horrible to be around, including me. Given an opportunity, I too can launch into endless blathering about the Miata. But I try to restrain my verbal tsunami to speaking in response to queries.

There is a section of the Miata cult that does make me nuts. The "Mysteriously Cranky Highly Impressed With Their Own Opinions Humorless Middle Aged Rabid Miata Fan Boys." The kind of people that will start a flame war on a forum about Anything. I'm a Miata owner and in the older demographic, yet they drive me to say to myself, "damn son, it's just a car."

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Exhaust fumes. At Arse-Sweat, late in the race, I was getting sick from the heat and the exhaust from the cars ahead of me. Solution? Pass them? Yea, right. Instead, fix the leak in my own exhaust.

Ha, no offense taken. I chuckled, but my Internet Sarcasticometer is highly tuned to notice the nuance between kidding around and legitimate ballsackery—and also defaults to the benefit of the doubt unless further proof is given. In other words, chill. Chilllllll.

Oooh. Exhaust. I totally forgot about exhaust. I kept my old muffler as carport art for a while after it rusted off. Definitely encountered the sharp edges on it and its replacement more often than I wanted, too. That's a different means of entry into the body than direct oral ingestion, though.

For the record, old coolant is delicious. Trying to put the engine back into my old 924S years and years ago I was under the car (because screw the correct way, I took the engine out of the top of the car) helping lower it back into place. It bumped one of the coolant lines running to the firewall and I got a mouth full of coolant. It was awesome. Sweet, tangy, all around delicious. I spent the next 10 minute spitting because the taste wouldn't go away. I hear that they've added bittering agents lately.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Coolant tastes sweet until it tastes like burning.....

I cut the cage out of our car without proper ventilation and got metal poisoning.  That completely and utterly sucked.  Imagine middle of summer hot out, and being wrapped in blankets and still cold.  And vomiting.

Twisted 6 vertebrae lifting a transmission into the car by myself.  That sucked and even after getting straightened out my back has never been the same.

I'm sure all the oil/grease/mtf/etc that has been on almost every part of my body at some point hasn't helped either.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

RogueLeader wrote:

I cut the cage out of our car without proper ventilation and got metal poisoning.  That completely and utterly sucked.  Imagine middle of summer hot out, and being wrapped in blankets and still cold.  And vomiting.

Holey moley! Do you know what the bad actors were re toxicity? I thought re metal dust from cutting/grinding that was more of a particulate danger.  I've got a good respirator now and even wear it sometimes.

A little WD-40 over-spray, and when doesn't WD-40 over-spray, in your Dr. Pepper is not tasty.

I would have to say stress!  Both racecars I've owned have been German.   And they wonder why they lost two World Wars!

The Germans put the part that fails the most in the most inaccessible place, that requires a tool called a "KrankenSlappenstosselshippenwerffer" to get most of the bolts out.

The Germans put a badass electric motor on a fragile, cast pot metal assembly, that breaks with the frequency of a bowel movement, then they surround it with 2500 lbs of car.  Getting this part out makes solving a Rubik's Cube look like childs play.

Reverse metric Torx..........really?

Six 13mm bolts should sufficiently hold this on................Let's put 12 and make them different sizes and different heads.

Change a bushing:  Step one...disassemble entire car!

Fahrvergnügen literally translated means: You're a dumbass for buying this car!

Yes, stress would have to be my answer!

Tetanus Racing Toxoid!
86 E30  It ain't cheatin' if it's junk!
Work in Progress

Stress is definitely #1.

If you think german cars are stressful,  try running a german car with a 80's american turbo engine.

As a chemist, the stuff I work with daily is probably much more dangerous than the car stuff.  So you can say that earning to pay for my hooptie is probably the most dangerous part of owning it.

Also, I can't imagine that semi-regular application of brake-clean or carb cleaner to my eyeballs has been particularly beneficial.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

Most of my metal cutting is done with an angle grinder and I realized I needed to upgrade to a better dust mask when I would blow my nose after working on the car and it looked like I had spent the morning in the coal mine.

I now use a 3M welding respirator that seems to be much more effective.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

I live a pretty unhealthy lifestyle to begin with so my guess would be, it ain't Lemons prep or racing that is shortening it.  In fact, I would say finding a hobby that keeps me so heavily engaged both mentally and physically is probably lengthening said life. 

One of my other hobbies has me around lead paint a lot so...

I'm thinking I've lengthened my life span, besides the benefits of it reducing my overall stress level,  the hoopties have introduced a number of bactieria and germs to my body which atleast so far seems to have fought off.  Each one it fights off strengthens my immune system.  I'm sure eventually someone will find the vaccine to some major disease from some kind of mystery goo from my car.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Why, just the other day I mixed up a sketchy concoction of anti-rust paint, commercial reducer and activator and sprayed it in my 2 car garage. I have never, cough..., felt, cough..., better

Honestly, I have inhaled, injested and absorbed so much toxic crap, I am surprised I have lived this long.

Silversleeves Racing https://www.facebook.com/groups/487324281329732
Ford/Lotus Cortina #41, Austin Mini #42, MG1100 #44, Barbie's Corvette #44, Mazda Miata #48, Austin 1800 #49

The only LeMons-related chemicals I'm really concerned about are brake fluid and brake cleaner, but I've handled plenty of both. Hell, I got hot Motul 600 in my eye at ECR. We used to use brake cleaner on everything, but lately we've been trying to use it less.

19 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2016-08-17 06:01 AM)

I routinely perform blood letting while performing even the most basic race car maintenance.  I haves knack for finding the sharp corner we forgot to smooth over or cover up.  I assume blood letting still has the same benefits it had in the dark ages.  So I think That benefit should balance out the gas baths and brake fluid showers.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

billybobster wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

Holey moley! Do you know what the bad actors were re toxicity? I thought re metal dust from cutting/grinding that was more of a particulate danger.  I've got a good respirator now and even wear it sometimes.

No idea, looked it up online and it just said dust from steel and other metals getting in your lungs can cause a reaction like this.  Also said theres nothing you can do but ride it out and hope it passes through your system.  It took a day but I was fine after that.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I'd say a good 1/3 of this stuff is settled down into the bottom nether regions of my lungs

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13179234_1281460958549154_8138203252647796423_n.jpg?oh=8b9110069e96b29e7755a6e03942eb81&oe=58826018

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

^^that's, umm, worrisome.

Head of Estate
/) come monday motorsports /)

Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

Not directly life shortening...  But I have steel wire in my eye from a grinding wheel that came apart (I was wearing safety glasses but it was a weird angle and the debris came up under my glasses).  No MRIs for me, so that will not help in diagnosing future problems. 

I can tell that the grease/gas/solvents that we use are no good for me - I get the runs every time I use them. 

I, finally, have tinnitus from when the muffler/exhaust fell off our Corolla and the header was cut right in front of the floor pan transferring much of the sound directly through the floor.  At some engine RPM, the sound hit a harmonic and the whole inside of the car amplified the sound and I could feel in my chest.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

Not directly life shortening...  But I have steel wire in my eye from a grinding wheel that came apart (I was wearing safety glasses but it was a weird angle and the debris came up under my glasses).  No MRIs for me, so that will not help in diagnosing future problems. 

I can tell that the grease/gas/solvents that we use are no good for me - I get the runs every time I use them. 

I, finally, have tinnitus from when the muffler/exhaust fell off our Corolla and the header was cut right in front of the floor pan transferring much of the sound directly through the floor.  At some engine RPM, the sound hit a harmonic and the whole inside of the car amplified the sound and I could feel in my chest.

I had a boss who had a similar MRI story, kinda scary. You know you have metal in your eye because you remember the incident. Did your MD come up with any way they can, ya know, verify that this might pose a problem besides going blind during MRI?

( I had an incident where a flying piece of grit scratched my cornea and laid me up for four days, but the foreign object was never located. Your tale hits close to home)

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Type44 wrote:
RobL wrote:

I had a boss who had a similar MRI story, kinda scary. You know you have metal in your eye because you remember the incident. Did your MD come up with any way they can, ya know, verify that this might pose a problem besides going blind during MRI?

( I had an incident where a flying piece of grit scratched my cornea and laid me up for four days, but the foreign object was never located. Your tale hits close to home)

It actually pierced my cornea and I had to have stitches put on my eye so yeah, I know it's in there.  My eye surgeon gave me no options about what to do with the pieces that are in there as probing around in my eye would likely do more harm than leaving them in.  The weird part is that every once in a while, I can see it floating in my vision.  It looks like a long thin shadow about 3" long when viewing something at 24" of mostly uniform color, like a computer monitor or blank wall.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.