Topic: Any New Orleans teams willing to install my grille-cam in their car?

I'm thinking of bringing the bullet-cam/DVR setup I put in the Mustard Yellow V8olvo at Reno-Fernley (see this YouTube video for a sample of the kind of footage it gets) and getting some more on-track footage for Jalopnik coverage of the race. Are any of you No Problem-bound teams willing/able to hook this rig up in your car prior to racing?

There's a 3-screw camera mount that goes somewhere in the front, a few zipties to mount the DVR (about the size of a point-and-shoot digital camera) on a rollbar inside the car, two cables with RCA connectors that need to go through the firewall, and a 12V power hookup to run the whole mess. Should take under an hour of work for a team with decent wiring skills, and of course you'll get copies of all the original video. Any volunteers?

Re: Any New Orleans teams willing to install my grille-cam in their car?

Cajun Jihad is IN!!!!!!!   hope you dnt mind havein to watch in fast forward though to get a kick out of it..  We Some noobs!!!!!

Yea Jihad will get some good footage of the back of our cars. If not them Shrimp Boots or Piranha will take it.

CajunJRacing wrote:

Cajun Jihad is IN!!!!!!!   hope you dnt mind havein to watch in fast forward though to get a kick out of it..  We Some noobs!!!!!

Property devaluation will do it also.  I'm gonna build a cage mount with a stud to mount a camera, also.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

btp76 wrote:

Property devaluation will do it also.  I'm gonna build a cage mount with a stud to mount a camera, also.

I want to install this camera down low in the front, like in the grille or on the bumper. I might also consider a rear-facing mount.

The power wires (positive and negative, with shielded male spade connectors) should be somewhere in the passenger compartment. In the Volvo, I had the DVR mounted on the dash bar, on the passenger side, and that's where the wires from the camera went.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/06/GrilleCam-600px.jpg

The camera mount is a little circular flange, about 1.5" diameter and with three screw holes. The camera angle is adjustable, so all it needs is a metal surface somewhere within about 30° of horizontal. Ideal location is on the front of the car, the lower the better. On top of the bumper would work.

8 (edited by SRSBSNS 2009-06-02 07:41 PM)

We'd be happy to put that on our e30... we'll install it while you're taking our bribes and big huge bag of beads smile

Our car has no front bumper, and nice rectangular hole under the headlight intake to mount it...

could even put it inside one of the headlight holes (lights removed)

(this is our car pre-bumper removal, pre-retheme, which you will no doubt enjoy, picture provided for mounting ideas, we have NO problem drilling holes to mount it smile )

http://www.lifeinwidescreen.com/hosting/cai.jpg

E30's should all go up in flames...

I might go ahead and put the camera in a few different cars, so any volunteers should let me know during the BS inspection and we'll sort it out once all the tech crap is done.

Also, any teams that get good video using their own equipment are encouraged to share their video files with me; meet me after the awards ceremony and I'll copy files onto my laptop.

To go with anyone other than "Cajun Jihad" is sort of an insult to Lemons

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

To go with anyone other than "Cajun Jihad" is sort of an insult to Lemons

Wait is that good or Bad!!???   HAHA

iwillnotpassundercaution wrote:

Yea Jihad will get some good footage of the back of our cars. If not them Shrimp Boots or Piranha will take it.

CajunJRacing wrote:

Team CAjun JihaD Shall pay no such atteniton to the quotes of  mear choir boys........

AAAAALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if you guys want to put it on the Barbie Miata, have at it.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

14 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-06-03 04:52 PM)

CajunJRacing wrote:

Team CAjun JihaD Shall pay no such atteniton to the quotes of  mear choir boys........

AAAAALALALALALALALALALALA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys better have the costumes to go with your team name.

15 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-06-03 08:22 PM)

Anyway, a recap on what you need if you want me to install the MurileeCam in your car:

1. A place to attach the camera and the hardware (3 sheetmetal screws will work) to attach it.

2. A means of getting two cables with RCA jacks through the firewall without violating safety rules and/or cutting the cables on sharp metal edges (i.e., a grommeted 1/2" hole that can be blocked off if necessary).

3. Easily accessible 12V and ground connections somewhere in the region of the passenger-side dash area.

4. A place to ziptie or otherwise affix the 5" x 2" x 1/2" DVR where it can be reached by someone leaning in through a window (someone needs to activate it right before the car goes onto the track). It will be attached to a small piece of plywood with convenient ziptie holes.

still workin on costumes..   But not to worry..

MurileeMartin wrote:

Anyway, a recap on what you need if you want me to install the MurileeCam in your car:

1. A place to attach the camera and the hardware (3 sheetmetal screws will work) to attach it.

2. A means of getting two cables with RCA jacks through the firewall without violating safety rules and/or cutting the cables on sharp metal edges (i.e., a grommeted 1/2" hole that can be blocked off if necessary).

3. Easily accessible 12V and ground connections somewhere in the region of the passenger-side dash area.

4. A place to ziptie or otherwise affix the 5" x 2" x 1/2" DVR where it can be reached by someone leaning in through a window (someone needs to activate it right before the car goes onto the track). It will be attached to a small piece of plywood with convenient ziptie holes.

No problems here, we can drill into what is left of the bumper reinforcement.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

so who ended up carrying the torch for you?

It's a Miata, get him........

weaksauce wrote:

so who ended up carrying the torch for you?

Cajun Jihad rigged up the camera, and I was too lazy/heatstroked to put it in any other cars. Got some great footage; will post some as soon as I can get to editing it.

It was an honor to carry the camera for you and hopefully we will see you in Houston.