Topic: Printing a book of Lemons photos for charity stuffs. Is it worth it?

I'd had the thought that I could have a book of photos printed up from the pics I took at the GP du Lac, Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg at Thompson.

The idea would be to donate them to the charity at the New Hampshire race for them to sell. They'd be 8x10" softback and reasonable quality but nothing too crazily fancy (or expensive). It'd be a fun way of donating while also having a reason to print up a photo book (which I've always wanted to do but seemed strangely egoistic).

They cost $10 a pop which would go to the charity in question. I'd probably have ten made.

Question no.1 - Would anyone be interested in them?

Question no.2 - Use of the actual Lemons logo? Good idea/bad idea/mayIhavepermissionpleasethankyouverymuch?

Question no.3 - I have not the slightest clue about the legality of publishing pics of people. There aren't many and I think they're all Lemons racers, however I believe there may be one of two topless dudes on a tandem bicycle. They might not be too happy.

....ok so that wasn't a question.

I'm no graphic designer so it'd be.....basic. I realise that Jay and Nick are professional journalists and I'm the publishing equivalent of a five year old with crayons. If there's any interest I'll email them directly at some point I'm sure but anyone got any thoughts on this?

Cheers!

Re: Printing a book of Lemons photos for charity stuffs. Is it worth it?

It could work, depending on how many you need to print and therefore how many you are on the hook to sell.

1. Most important question. I'll always buy someone's Lemons book, to support the cause. But will anyone else outside of Lemons be interested? If you do the book right, give it lots of local favor, something to get the hometown folks interested, you might sell a few more locally. The track might even carry a couple in their shops.

2. Don't use or do anything that might confuse the buy as to the role of 24HOL. If you do use any Lemons graphics, for example to acknowledge Jay and Nick's brand, check with them first.

3. I don't know either, but most race venues make it clear that anyone on the premises during the event may be pictured in the media. Of course, you could always contact those people, if you know who they are.

I did the "How On Fire Are We?" book a couple of years ago, profits going to charities. I went through all of this. It was not a cheap book, being 340 pages and full color glossy, but about 200 have been sold.

Mike

3 (edited by Toast 2016-08-22 02:41 PM)

This wouldn't be on that scale. It'd be maybe 28 pages and not a full on glossy hardback. They'd be available only at the NHMS race from the tech area and I'm only planning on ten. It's basically just a fun way of donating a Benjamin to charity and having a crack at printing a photo book.

I like your idea...
I would buy one....

Best of luck!
mz

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Question no.3 - I have not the slightest clue about the legality of publishing pics of people. There aren't many and I think they're all Lemons racers, however I believe there may be one of two topless dudes on a tandem bicycle. They might not be too happy.

I believe this is addressed in the "rule book"

1.7: Right of Publicity: You and your brilliant, pithy utterances may be photographed, recorded, or otherwise reproduced and re-used whenever and wherever the heck the Organizers like (including but not limited to television, internet, magazines,radio, biblical apocrypha, CinemaScope epics, and cave paintings). You won't get a penny unless somebody sees it and buys you a coffee. If you're not comfortable with that, wear a Mexican wrestler mask and/or stay home.

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)