Topic: Helmet + HANS + posts?

Long-time racer, first-time HANS buyer here.  I'm updating my safety gear to SA2015 helmet + HANS, and I don't understand what parts are required, and hoping someone can answer my question quickly.

I'm looking at the Pyrotect helmet from the Lemons store and this HANS Sport II.  Do I need to get the $75 HANS post install on the helmet?  Would I need something like that for this helmet from OGRacing?  Any other accessories I need?

15x+ Loser, thinks he's a Real Racer(tm)
Rotaries are great, everyone should try them.

Re: Helmet + HANS + posts?

Our new Nexgen came with posts.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

I think the HANS devices come with one set of posts.  You need the post for the HANS to work so every driver needs to have a set of posts on their helmet, that is why they sell them individually.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

Someone in this thread said something that lead me to believe it didn't come with posts, so I'm thinking I need to get them separately (or with the helmet from the Lemons store).

That is only when you bought from one of the overseas vendors.  US HANS comes with one set of posts...because they do not trust you to get the right ones and/or (more likely) the system is certified so only the complete system can be approved so has to be sold together.

US HANS comes with one set of posts...because they do not trust you to get the right ones

That's why I'd get the helmet with HANS anchors pre-installed.

Now I'm thinking of getting the Z-Tech so I don't have to worry about potential fitment issues, overseas orders, etc. etc.  It seems like the unit on the Lemons store page comes with whatever you need to attach to the helmet, so I assume if I get the helmet + Z-Tech from the Lemons store, I'm good to go....

If anyone has one of the Z-Tech units I'd like to know how well they work, or if they limit head movement (turning, looking down) too much / more than a HANS.

I was window shopping at pegasus and saw that the post kits are all cheaper than $75 so as long as you can figure out how to put them in, which seems pretty straight forward, even if you are using someone elses HANS probably cheaper to just buy the posts than have them preinstalled.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

almitydave wrote:

US HANS comes with one set of posts...because they do not trust you to get the right ones

Now I'm thinking of getting the Z-Tech so I don't have to worry about potential fitment issues, overseas orders, etc. etc.  It seems like the unit on the Lemons store page comes with whatever you need to attach to the helmet, so I assume if I get the helmet + Z-Tech from the Lemons store, I'm good to go....

If anyone has one of the Z-Tech units I'd like to know how well they work, or if they limit head movement (turning, looking down) too much / more than a HANS.

Any yard monkey that can turn and allen wrench can install the posts.

Do think about what is important to you in an HNR before just buying the Z-Tech because it is adjustable.  We use one, I would have spent the money for something with sliding tethers.  On the course you adjust to it quickly even if your background is motorcycles (where you chin is pointed is where the bike goes) but even after 4 races, it still bothers me navigating the paddock.

I am not complaining as another team remember paid for it.  If I buy one, that will be top of my list of features needed.

almitydave wrote:

I just ran with the Z-Tech unit two weekends ago. The unit itself worked properly, the range of adjustment is great, although I did not find the exact sweet spot I liked with it, it was fairly easy to adjust. I would suggest taking a good 20 to 30 minutes adjusting everything while in the seat you will be using along with strapping in everytime you adjust it.

I did not have too much time to do that using the device the first time, but got it in the general ballpark where it was totally comfortable.

It is a heavier unit then most/ if not all Hans devices, but the weight was not a bothering factor to me.

The first time I put if in, I did not have the straps for the helmet adjusted properly. The Z-Tech comes with directions along with guidelines on how much it can be adjusted for the straps. That first time with the straps unadjusted I had about 1/2 an inch movement left and right. Then went back with a ruler to measure an adjust then I had a pretty decent range of movement. All the was necessary to race the car with.

All though it is very affordable, I feel it is a great value for the money. If I had to I would definitely buy it again. I would only change out to a more expensive HANS Device if I had time in a store and be able to test fit each unit to find the proper fitting one for me. This unit will fit almost everyone fine. Just takes time to find the sweet spot for you.

a lethal overdose of brick wall, taken while under the influence of a Ferrari and a bottle of tequila.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback I wanted.  Looks like that's what I'll get.

almitydave wrote:

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of feedback I wanted.  Looks like that's what I'll get.

If you run with just one team, it might be easier for the whole team to use the same HANS device to allow sharing.  The posts are not inter-operable between manufacturers.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

I have used a Hans and a Nextgen. I prefer the nextgen. Much more comfortable and easier to put on . I have also hard a very hard collision into a wall at Road Atlanta in my GTA car and the nextgen worked great.

rb92673 wrote:
almitydave wrote:

If you run with just one team, it might be easier for the whole team to use the same HANS device to allow sharing.  The posts are not inter-operable between manufacturers.

Yeah, I've thought about that.  Unfortunately I'm basically a free agent at the moment.

almitydave wrote:

Yeah, I've thought about that. Luckily a free agent at the moment.

FTFY.  Think of all the fun teams you can arrive and drive with without the crushing burden of prep'in a car!