Topic: If I May Introduce Myself....

Hello all,

I just recently joined up with the Lemons community and wanted to say hi!

I've never raced before, and I never heard about this race until Roadkill did the episodes on it. Since then me and a couple friends of mine have joked about doing it eventually. I'd occasionally bum around the internet to see what cars I could find that would fit the bill, and for whatever reason inspiration hit a month ago when a Daihatsu HiJet went up for auction and I could see it clearly. A HiJet with a rear mounted Toyota Camry Engine in the bed. Of course I managed to get a hold of someone from the contact page that managed to tell me my wheelbase was too short before I bought it. But it got me back in a mood. And when I get in a mood I dive head in.

So, as of yesterday I bought myself the start to a Lemons car: a 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE that some guy used to drag race poorly. Hadn't run in 15 years, brand new 5 speed manual, slightly modified but mostly original V6. I haven't even seen the car in person, but I'm excited. And for $200, less than 15 miles from my house I couldn't pass it up. I'll post pictures soon, but I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. Hopefully you'll be hearing more from me soon.

Nick

Re: If I May Introduce Myself....

I said I'd post a pic when I picked it up and here she is. The newest member of the fleet. We're all quite excited.

http://i65.tinypic.com/149rpcy.jpg

Welcome, Nick.   Or, as is traditional when someone joins us, Hello, sucker!   smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Excellent choice of LeMon, stop by Apocalyptic Racing pit if you make it to Gingerman and say hi.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Fine automobile and you're a brave man for putting up with the Fiero jihad.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

So the 2.8?

Ignore everyone else, its a good engine as long as you understand what is was meant to do.  Just find out all the quirks with the Fiero cooling system and how to flush it properly and what to do to get the air not to stall in front of the radiator.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

So the 2.8?

Ignore everyone else, its a good engine as long as you understand what is was meant to do.  Just find out all the quirks with the Fiero cooling system and how to flush it properly and what to do to get the air not to stall in front of the radiator.

Yeah, the 2.8 L V6. We were thinking of doing cold air intakes going up to the roof too. The radiator situation does seem like a bit of a nuisance though. Might swap out or add a bigger radiator to replace what's there. I hate to cut up the body to let more air flow to the radiator, but I will do it if I have to. What do you mean, "What it was meant to do"? Just curious.

therood wrote:

Fine automobile and you're a brave man for putting up with the Fiero jihad.

If you mean the recall for the engines catching fire, that was the 84's. Different engine, different layout for the cooking systems. If you are not talking about that then I am confused.

Nah, he's just talking about the fact that EVERY marque has a noisy subset of the owners club that will try and brand you a heretic for actually racing this fine car.

There'll be the 'WHY U RUIN CLASSIK' guys, the 'You do know they only made 150 that year with that interior' guys, blah blah blah.

You'll be FINE.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24

As a former owner of that fine automobile I can say the engines don't like to be revved.  Keep it cool.  Be nice to it.  Find an expert cage builder as it isn't as simple as a typical sedan.   

There are lots of teams that have run this car, so I'm sure someone will chime in on better specifics.

Good luck!!!!

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Every time I see this thread title I want to reply "My name is Humpty, pronounced with a 'umpty."

Anyway, wherever the red line is on the tach, I'd stay 1000-1500 RPM below that as a general rule.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

As a former owner of that fine automobile I can say the engines don't like to be revved.  Keep it cool.  Be nice to it.  Find an expert cage builder as it isn't as simple as a typical sedan.   

There are lots of teams that have run this car, so I'm sure someone will chime in on better specifics.

Good luck!!!!

Not only does it not like to be reved, there really isn't any reason to over rev it since its power band is in the lower rpm anyway.

Seriously though take the time to find out how to burp the coolant system since from what I read it is a pain and if you don't do it right you will have large pockets of air.  Plus there should be some simple mods to improve airflow through the radiator.  If I recall the design from gm has the spare tire well or something right behind the radiator so the air doesn't like going through the radiator.  Both things that probably wouldn't be horrible on a drag car since they don't run that long but will kill any engine other than an air cooled one in Lemons.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

If you can get on board with the concept of an ENDURANCE race you'll be fine.  All you need to do is keep the damn thing running so you can turn laps.  Think about running a car as hard as you can for 7 hours continuously.  At the top of the list for making that happen...KEEPING IT COOL! Add a larger radiator, improve airflow to it, lower the RPM range, or whatever else you have to do....just make sure to KEEP IT COOL. 

Also don't rely on OE gauges or idiot lights.  Get a set of REAL gauges oil pressure, water temperature, oil temperature, and voltage.  They don't need to be expensive either.  Our first car had mechanical ones from Advance Auto that were less than $20 each, and they worked just fine.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

SpaceFrank wrote:

Every time I see this thread title I want to reply "My name is Humpty, pronounced with a 'umpty."

Anyway, wherever the red line is on the tach, I'd stay 1000-1500 RPM below that as a general rule.

I had not heard this song before. Now I can never unhear it. Thanks a bunch for that....

15 (edited by MZAVARIN 2016-09-08 06:58 PM)

SpaceFrank wrote:

And every time I see this thread title, I hum to myself

"Let me please introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste"

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

16 (edited by BigBird 2016-09-08 06:01 PM)

Hodgepodge75 wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:

"My name is Humpty, pronounced with a 'umpty."

I had not heard this song before. Now I can never unhear it. Thanks a bunch for that....

How long have you been living under that rock????  big_smile

EDIT: I added the smiley ( big_smile ) to imply humor ,so as to not start a religious war.....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

MZAVARIN wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:

And every time I wee this thread title, I hum to myself

Better! Thank you!

SpaceFrank wrote:

How long have you been living under that rock????

That song came out 5 years before I was born and I prefer older music?

Careful with that quote attribution, I don't wanna get dragged into a religious war over something somebody else said!

MZAVARIN wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:

And every time I wee this thread title, I hum to myself

This is also a good choice. In fact, I can hear the mashup now...

I like to rhyme, I like my beats funky,
I'm spunky. I like my oatmeal lumpy.
I rode a tank, held a general's rank,
When the blitzkrieg raged and the bodies stank!

I suggest you go get a spare engine right now. Some spare hubs, axles, and maybe a transaxle wouldn't hurt.

Judge Phil wrote:

I suggest you go get a spare engine right now. Some spare hubs, axles, and maybe a transaxle wouldn't hurt.

We are firm believers is just having a full subframe for front wheel drive cars...in your case it is just a slighly modified Citation assembly moved back so the same thing applies.

On the Saturn we could swap a subframe (frame, engine, transmision, knuckles and all wiring) faster than most Honda teams could swap a head gasket.  Anything worse than a blown axle...swap the whole thing and fix what you broke at your leisure.  The van is lot slower just because everything is so much less accessible and twice as heavy but I would be with more practice we could have it down to less that two hours (Saturn was 50-70 minutes).

It also is VERY convenient for transport as it is all in one (very heavy) package.

Hodgepodge75 wrote:
SpaceFrank wrote:

The parody is even better.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

We are firm believers is just having a full subframe for front wheel drive cars...in your case it is just a slighly modified Citation assembly moved back so the same thing applies.

On the Saturn we could swap a subframe (frame, engine, transmision, knuckles and all wiring) faster than most Honda teams could swap a head gasket.  Anything worse than a blown axle...swap the whole thing and fix what you broke at your leisure.  The van is lot slower just because everything is so much less accessible and twice as heavy but I would be with more practice we could have it down to less that two hours (Saturn was 50-70 minutes).

It also is VERY convenient for transport as it is all in one (very heavy) package.

Do spare parts not count towards the $500 limit?

Hodgepodge75 wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

Nope.

24 (edited by SwarlesInCharge 2016-09-11 07:13 PM)

Hodgepodge75 wrote:

If you break, you aren't winning anyway. And Judge Phil would have given you a low residual value to let you fix your heap after the race so just fast forward the process and try to get back out there.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

Hodgepodge75 wrote:

And there is the notion that if you bring a spare engine,you'll never need it..... big_smile

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)