Topic: List of what can be rented?

Hello again! (I know, two posts in a row, who do I think I am?)

Originally my friends and I thought that we could buy a car, throw it together quick, and be in Michigan in time for A Decade of Disappointment. That was before reading the rules several times (and noticing that registration ended two weeks ago) and looking up some of the stuff we needed. The car itself could be ready, but there's a LOT of safety gear and such that need to be sorted through and a lot of it is more expensive than we were expecting. (Something didn't go according to plan? Who would've... Oh right, Lemons.) Anyways. I was wondering what could be rented at the track and how much it would be to do so.

Like the suit, transponder, radio, helmet, really anything other than the car itself.... I do know that there is a section on the forums for people selling things, but I figured I'd check here first.

I don't have a full team yet (working on it), but when I do I want to be able to jump in right away. I know.... I should've just joined some other team instead of making my own, but I already bought the car and I'm too excited about that to quit now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again!
Nick

Re: List of what can be rented?

"Like the suit, transponder, radio, helmet, really anything other than the car itself.... I do know that there is a section on the forums for people selling things, but I figured I'd check here first."

http://racesuitrental.com/
They have your personal safety gear.  Website might have prices and most folks I brought into the insanity used them first and were very happy.

Transponder comes from Lemons of you click that option in registration.

On an overall note, if you aren't ready right now as a newbie team, you likely are not racing your car in the Midwest this year.  Gingerman is oversold and they waitlisted teams...first time ever in this region.

Do not despair!  Come be crew, arrive and drive or just hang out at what is guaranteed to be a great spectacle.

Also don't underestimate what it takes to get a car ready to race.  Unless you have done it before a cage will take much longer to build that you think, even when you have done it, it still may take longer than you think.  Even with that done it isn't unlikely for a new car to not pass tech for a bunch of other saftey issues like not having the kill switch wired right or mounting the seat and harness wrong.  I would suggest start building the car now for next year.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Thanks for the rental link! That will certainly help! And yeah, I kinda figured I wasn't getting in midwest this year when I saw everything I'd have to do in the rules. It was a fun goal for a second though! I'm sure we'll at least come spectate. Depends, we'll see what the future brings.

5 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-09-04 07:43 PM)

Hodgepodge75 wrote:

Thanks for the rental link! That will certainly help! And yeah, I kinda figured I wasn't getting in midwest this year when I saw everything I'd have to do in the rules. It was a fun goal for a second though! I'm sure we'll at least come spectate. Depends, we'll see what the future brings.

You are shorting yourself if you do not come to the race...this is very possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity...10th anniversary for the series, similar for the track...waitlisted race in the Midwest!  It may never happen again.

I offer the same invite to all the "over their heads" newbies.  I will feed you, booze you, house you and put you to work (very little) just get your ass in the gate and bring a sleeping bag and a toothbrush.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Hodgepodge75 wrote:

You are shorting yourself if you do not come to the race...this is very possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity...10th anniversary for the series, similar for the track...waitlisted race in the Midwest!  It may never happen again.

I offer the same invite to all the "over their heads" newbies.  I will feed you, booze you, house you and put you to work (very little) just get your ass in the gate and bring a sleeping bag and a toothbrush.

Hodgepodge,

You really should do this.  The offer extended to you is top rate, take it.  The time spent seeing the workings of a seasoned team that runs interesting cars and is part of the color of Lemons, is invaluable when you execute your own build.  The little tips, tricks, and "doh" moments payoff ten fold in work hours and money saved.

Heck If I wasn't doing Buttonwillow the week prior, I might take OnkelUdo up on his offer to just spectate while watching the 10th aniversary.  The food and booze alone is worth the trip.

FWIW,

Hamsa

He's a new man now, part of the machine,
His nerves of metal and his blood oil.
The clutch curses, but the gears obey,
His least bidding, and lo, he's away.

OnkelUdo wrote:
Hodgepodge75 wrote:

Are you asking for crew members? Arrive and drive? Because we might take you up on that. Plus regardless of whether our car is ready to pass tech, it might be street legal by then and it would be a good opportunity to stretch it's legs and see what needs to be fixed. PM me and we can discuss it further!

Hodgepodge75 wrote:

Are you asking for crew members? Arrive and drive? Because we might take you up on that. Plus regardless of whether our car is ready to pass tech, it might be street legal by then and it would be a good opportunity to stretch it's legs and see what needs to be fixed. PM me and we can discuss it further!

We are full up for this race unless you want to sign up as a crew member ($75 instead of the normal $30 paddock pass)...let me know and I can send you the invite code.  that would give you chance to try your hand at fueling if we have a suit that will fit you but otherwise, not too much advantage.  We have a crew member plus 4.5 drivers plus our Team Mom and a few others that come and go.

Mostly it was an offer to hang out at the race and watch a team in motion, meet other teams, etc.  The 18 or so reserved electrified paddocks spots are populated by "The Usual Suspects" which is a group of the Midwest faithfuls that want to be near Soggy (the bacon man) and each other for fun and to share resources.  There will be everything from Spec Land Yatchs to a RWD Golf to a (hopefully) 1948 Plymouth to a first gen Celica with an Ecotec motor and Colorado transmission to a Saturn with a ram air intake and this annoying leaf blower sounding thing that I am told has  spinning Dorito of misery for an engine.

We have an enclosed trailer with plenty of floor space.  I usually cook more than we can eat so I roam the paddock trying to give away food.I will have 15-20 gallons of homebrew beer with us as well.

Hamsa9 wrote:

The time spent seeing the workings of a seasoned team that runs interesting cars and is part of the color of Lemons, is invaluable when you execute your own build.  The little tips, tricks, and "doh" moments payoff ten fold in work hours and money saved.

+1   One trick I learned from watching Spank was what saved the day for the Super Snipe on its maiden voyage, letting us win the IOE.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

10 (edited by fleming95 2016-09-05 10:33 AM)

Hodgepodge75 wrote:

Hello again! (I know, two posts in a row, who do I think I am?)

Originally my friends and I thought that we could buy a car, throw it together quick, and be in Michigan in time for A Decade of Disappointment...

Excellent thinking - and you still have a month to prep - plenty of time - registration aside, why not go for it and see what see what comes out in the end? smile

More practically, if this is your first Lemons race you'll have seen (and even more so if it's your first enduro), expect to be hooked afterwards - we warned you!

Also, consider asking around to see if there are teams running cars the same or similar as what you're running or have some expertise (!) in.  Perhaps call the Powers-That-Be and ask who's running what and get their contact info?

Throw your field tool set in - when you get pulled in to working on someone's car, which _will_ happen, having tools right at hand is golden.

And bring trade goods.  Spare parts/alcohol/bacon are the currency of the land, from what I know.

Have fun!

See, this is the type of community that I love. If you'e able to access the paddocks as a guest I'll go that route I just had it in my head that you needed to be crew to go back there. It will be our first race and it will be our first enduro. I would LOVE to run a land yacht but when you find a car with a brand new clutch that's a day away from running for $200 you jump on it. Now I have $300 to play with, and I bet I could sell the rims off this thing for another $300 if need be. I'd love to meet some of you, you all sound cool.

Hodgepodge75 wrote:

If you're able to access the paddocks as a guest I'll go that route.   I just had it in my head that you needed to be crew to go back there.

The only difference is that without a crew wristband, you are prohibited from doing anything other than watching.   It's purely an insurance thing.

CowDriver wrote:
Hodgepodge75 wrote:

If you're able to access the paddocks as a guest I'll go that route.   I just had it in my head that you needed to be crew to go back there.

The only difference is that without a crew wristband, you are prohibited from doing anything other than watching.   It's purely an insurance thing.

Good to know! We'll probably go that route then. Hopefully by spring, whenever the first Midwestern race is, we'll be "ready". And by ready I mean still have no clue what we're doing but having lots of fun doing it!

Hodgepodge75 wrote:

And by ready I mean still have no clue what we're doing but having lots of fun doing it!

That applies to most of us, even if we've been doing it for years.   smile

Take up OnkelUdo on his crewing offer. He's good people and there's usually good food not too far away from his paddock, if not in it. He's also bringing a hella-cool car to this race.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Hodgepodge75 wrote:

See, this is the type of community that I love. If you'e able to access the paddocks as a guest I'll go that route I just had it in my head that you needed to be crew to go back there. It will be our first race and it will be our first enduro. I would LOVE to run a land yacht but when you find a car with a brand new clutch that's a day away from running for $200 you jump on it. Now I have $300 to play with, and I bet I could sell the rims off this thing for another $300 if need be. I'd love to meet some of you, you all sound cool.

Welcome to the forum, and the a very expensive hobby. 

+1 for RaceSuitRentals my team used them for the first two races and I have nothing but good things to say.

Just going to throw my two cents in here.  I'm in the BUY over build camp, its just cheaper and easier. To build a well sorted and safe car will cost you upwards of $3000 likely $4500 or so.  You can buy cars that are ready to race from $1000 to $3000. My team bought a car to build and then after about a month of working on it we realized it would still be cheaper to buy a built car.   Even after we had spent $500 on the first car. 

Always buy built for your first car, or even try for an arrive and drive before you fully commit. 

Also since rims are exempt from the budget you cannot sell them to reduce the cost of your car.  Sorry.  The same is true for other budget exempt items like glass, brakes, and fuel systems.  You can still sell them to get money, but it does not come off the budget.  I would go lights and interior/exterior trim to get money of your budget.  Also you can sell hood/trunk/doors as long as you replace them. Sell a clean one, get a dented one form a junkyard.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

Hodgepodge75 wrote:
CowDriver wrote:
Hodgepodge75 wrote:

Good to know! We'll probably go that route then. Hopefully by spring, whenever the first Midwestern race is, we'll be "ready". And by ready I mean still have no clue what we're doing but having lots of fun doing it!

I wouldn't say prohibited from doing anything.  Without the wrist band you can't touch the car, however there is still plenty of stuff to do without touching the car if you want to help out.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:
Hodgepodge75 wrote:
CowDriver wrote:

I wouldn't say prohibited from doing anything.  Without the wrist band you can't touch the car, however there is still plenty of stuff to do without touching the car if you want to help out.

The running through the paddocks asking random folks for a picklefork or 1 3/8" deep well socket or piece of 1/8" plate about so big or...yeah, we have sent newbies just there for the ambiance South on such quests while a team member went North.

Running to the parts store or to get fuel or ice or whatever...also favorite duties.

We officially tear into the car on Thursday to see how much work is needed. Once we get the random trash out of it, replace the fuel pump, re-mount the intake, and fix any chewed through wire connections I think we'll be running and road legal. Then it's just a few items, albeit large ones, until we're Lemons ready!

Hodgepodge75 wrote:

Once we get the random trash out of it, replace the fuel pump, re-mount the intake, and fix any chewed through wire connections I think we'll be running and road legal.

Yes, by all means keep it street legal and licensed/insured.   That makes it sooooooo much easier when you need to take it to the muffler shop, tire store, or just do a quick road test.   You can also get lots of attention by taking it to your local "Cars and Coffee" on Saturday morning.  When I did that with the Super Snipe, the kids were agog at a car that could be started with a hand crank!

Hodgepodge75 wrote:

Then it's just a few items, albeit large ones, until we're Lemons ready!

Unless you are experienced madmen and work long hours at it, those "few items" will probably take you a few months.   Seriously.

What worked well for me was to keep a clipboard hanging near the car with a list of "to do" items.   As you work on the car, add new items to the list.   After each work session, edit the list on your computer, sorting the new "to do" items into an order that makes sense.   DO NOT delete the "done" items, but move them to the end with a separate header.   This will help you feel good about what you have accomplished, in relation to what still needs to be done.

For certain critical items like "put oil in engine", write it on the windshield in grease pencil, or someplace else where you cannot miss it.   A whiteboard often works for this.

If building your own cage, print a copy of "How Not to Fail Lemons Tech Inspection" and hang the pages in your work area.   Refer to them often.

Good luck and have fun!

CowDriver wrote:
Hodgepodge75 wrote:

Once we get the random trash out of it, replace the fuel pump, re-mount the intake, and fix any chewed through wire connections I think we'll be running and road legal.

Yes, by all means keep it street legal and licensed/insured.   That makes it sooooooo much easier when you need to take it to the muffler shop, tire store, or just do a quick road test.   You can also get lots of attention by taking it to your local "Cars and Coffee" on Saturday morning.  When I did that with the Super Snipe, the kids were agog at a car that could be started with a hand crank!

Hodgepodge75 wrote:

Then it's just a few items, albeit large ones, until we're Lemons ready!

Unless you are experienced madmen and work long hours at it, those "few items" will probably take you a few months.   Seriously.

What worked well for me was to keep a clipboard hanging near the car with a list of "to do" items.   As you work on the car, add new items to the list.   After each work session, edit the list on your computer, sorting the new "to do" items into an order that makes sense.   DO NOT delete the "done" items, but move them to the end with a separate header.   This will help you feel good about what you have accomplished, in relation to what still needs to be done.

For certain critical items like "put oil in engine", write it on the windshield in grease pencil, or someplace else where you cannot miss it.   A whiteboard often works for this.

If building your own cage, print a copy of "How Not to Fail Lemons Tech Inspection" and hang the pages in your work area.   Refer to them often.

Good luck and have fun!

I fully expect a couple months. If the races are set up similar to last year we will have until April for a race to come to the Midwest, giving us 7-8 months to wrench on it. I'm hoping that's enough lead time. I enjoy your idea about keeping a spreadsheet of things to do to the car. I am a huge excel fan and can't imagine a better way to do it!

Hodgepodge75 wrote:

I enjoy your idea about keeping a spreadsheet of things to do to the car. I am a huge excel fan and can't imagine a better way to do it!

Noooooo!   Not a spreadsheet!   I hate using spreadsheets for everything!   For this application I used a simple text file, which worked perfectly.

CowDriver wrote:
Hodgepodge75 wrote:

I enjoy your idea about keeping a spreadsheet of things to do to the car. I am a huge excel fan and can't imagine a better way to do it!

Noooooo!   Not a spreadsheet!   I hate using spreadsheets for everything!   For this application I used a simple text file, which worked perfectly.

Well then, way to turn it around on me there. Either way. I have a physical list in my binder of Lemons stuff and I have a digital copy on my computer at home.

Hodgepodge75 wrote:

I have a physical list in my binder of Lemons stuff and I have a digital copy on my computer at home.

A physical list is good!   Print out a new copy every time you are going to work on the car, then scribble updates as you work.   No computer needed in the shop, just halfway-decent handwriting.   smile

For a few weeks it was depressing, as the "to do" list grew faster than I was checking things off.   But the "done" list was growing even faster, so that kept me going.