Re: Is there a weigh-in?

As long as you pass tech inspection you can race.  the judges may doc you a billion laps but you get to go out on the track.  Now if you do something against the rules like not built on a street car, weighing too much, too short a wheel base or less than 4 wheels, you are not going to get on the track at all, along with all the other standard safety rules,.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Where's Uranus? wrote:

Is there a point where the judges say, no way, too much money, no racing?

No, although technically the organizer (not the judges) can say "that's a nice car, here's $500 for it, now it's mine" at the end of the race. In practice this hasn't been an issue, as Jay Lamm really, really doesn't want to accumulate Lemons race cars, but it does mean that you shouldn't plan on bringing something worth an enormous amount of money for the purpose of turning a bunch of fast laps unless you're willing to say goodbye to it for $500. You'd still get to race it for the weekend first, though.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

28 (edited by Brett85p 2016-09-09 05:17 PM)

It really depends a lot on what you bring, spend $1500 on a BMW E30 or late model Honda etc with aftermarket suspension and racey bits and you will get laps and not a lot of love from the Judges. Spend a similar amount on a malaise era Mopar product that is relatively stock and you will get nothing but love!

The valuations are somewhat arbitrary but document what you spend and bring everything. This system works really well. It keeps the rule book simple and short and the judges do a great job of classing the cars and assigning penalty laps. They may err on the  cautious side for new teams and up class them or assign some laps no be sure that no one sneaks something real racy past them and then when they show how terrible they actually are they settle into the correct class..

The good thing is everyone with a legal car gets to race and you won't win anyway so make your car safe and legal and down have fun. 

PM me if you are close enough to STL and want to come and see a Lemons legal car and talk rules etc.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

a penalty lap is just a score thing, or they make you sit out whilst others do laps?

So long .. and thanks for all the fish big_smile

Score, you only sit out laps for bad track behavior .

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

31 (edited by Where's Uranus? 2016-09-10 02:07 AM)

When I look for a car I go see it and explain the rules and what I would do with it, then I show them a fist full of $10s & $20s and make a ridiculously low offer and tell them I can pick it up with a couple hours notice. I always bring my tow dolly with me. All they can say is no, but beware, I had mutable people call me in the same day once. I've also found a team mate this way.

It Ain't My Fault

33 (edited by Where's Uranus? 2016-09-10 02:08 AM)

34 (edited by billybobster 2016-09-09 07:58 PM)

OnkelUdo wrote:
Where's Uranus? wrote:

Is there a point where the judges say, no way, too much money, no racing?

I'm a crappy trader, so I'd rather not have to sell parts.

Not so far...They mostly have made it contest on the obviously stupidly cheaty car to see how many penalty laps they can give the,

I believe the record for penalty laps went to this car...

http://www.roadkill.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Sonoma1215DSC_3506.jpg

A 2007 Solstice, which received one lap for each dollar that GM got in the bailout. 11.4 billion penalty laps. This was at the December race at Sonoma. Assuming an average lap time of 2:20 - that lap penalty would take 50,601 years to make up*. Given that the race only takes place over two days, winning becomes problematic.

* Not including pit stops or scheduled maintenance.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Go to a race or better yet take a look at some of the used Lemons for sale.   You'll get an idea of what a $500 car looks like.   

If you bring some 1970 Detroit steel - you won't get any penality laps. In fact, you will likely get hugged.

This space for rent.

No, I'd rather find a race to fit the car, than a car to fit the race.

I been talking with my buddies and we figure, maybe we can just rent a dirt track or something, for the money we were going to spend on one entrant, and race each other with whatever the hell we have, for a day, or an evening or whatever.

I was really just happy there was a race for older, junkier, cars, rather than a demo derby, which seems like a bigger waste of vehicles, y'know.

I'll hopefully have the burb, and I think it'll be up against my buddies Fairlane, and whatever else junk we can get. Maybe we'll even put some cameras in the cars and stuff and film it.

Thanks for all your responses and stuff, you guys are cool big_smile

37 (edited by Team Infinniti 2016-09-10 11:49 AM)

Where's Uranus? wrote:

No, I'd rather find a race to fit the car, than a car to fit the race.

I been talking with my buddies and we figure, maybe we can just rent a dirt track or something, for the money we were going to spend on one entrant, and race each other with whatever the hell we have, for a day, or an evening or whatever.

I was really just happy there was a race for older, junkier, cars, rather than a demo derby, which seems like a bigger waste of vehicles, y'know.

I'll hopefully have the burb, and I think it'll be up against my buddies Fairlane, and whatever else junk we can get. Maybe we'll even put some cameras in the cars and stuff and film it.

Thanks for all your responses and stuff, you guys are cool big_smile

You have mentioned it twice, this is no demo derby, contact is fronted upon heavily, there are people still racing their crappy cars here for a decade ! This is a race of crappy cars, just as you seek.
saying that
Your burb is big and sports one of the least reliable engines to be road raced (yes I know what I said, as owner of 30+ SBC engines we race a infiniti)  pick something smaller and enjoy.
Now
Speaking as a former demo derby champ and retired dirt circle racer, you will be blown away by what this series has to offer, we were so blown away that our old dirt car is just sitting,going to nature 6 yrs later.

Find a race nearby,attend as a visitor or as someones crew.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Where's Uranus? wrote:

Here's in the rust belt, it's nigh on impossible to get nice big ol' sedans. Places asking silly, silly money for rusty ol' carcasses.

http://www.daves-classic-cars.com/1970s.htm

The license plate / tow bracket and stuff hang under the bumper on mine, it's not very high ground clearance wise, I can't see much getting under it.

Isn't the whole getting your vehicle destroyed part and parcel of the experience? Given your not that far from me, I imagine there's a very good chance your Celica and my Burb would be on the same track.

Paint a bullseye on your roof so I can see you big_smile

HAH! $7,000 for a '71 Pontiac Grand Prix. Sorry car people can't capture lightning in a bottle twice. 40 year old cars are now shit.

I still can't wait for the big market flood of '57 Chevy's when end of life care comes rolling around soon.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

I still can't wait for the big market flood of '57 Chevy's when end of life care comes rolling around soon.

Ah, but will any of them still run? My buddy is on the third (I think) engine in his, and it still don't run.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/1039901_456316527792335_1848793226_o.jpg

Guildenstern wrote:
Where's Uranus? wrote:

Here's in the rust belt, it's nigh on impossible to get nice big ol' sedans. Places asking silly, silly money for rusty ol' carcasses.

The license plate / tow bracket and stuff hang under the bumper on mine, it's not very high ground clearance wise, I can't see much getting under it.

Isn't the whole getting your vehicle destroyed part and parcel of the experience? Given your not that far from me, I imagine there's a very good chance your Celica and my Burb would be on the same track.

HAH! $7,000 for a '71 Pontiac Grand Prix. Sorry car people can't capture lightning in a bottle twice. 40 year old cars are now shit.

https://scontent.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14322219_10205730999153147_3407608840700301989_n.jpg?oh=65c401f7da5291aee4d5dc107293520a&oe=5880867B

But the 50 year old cars still rock!    We picked up this gem in GA for Lemons money! 

We're going to race it at CMP!  I'll bet we beat half the field.

This space for rent.

Where's Uranus? wrote:

Ah, but will any of them still run? My buddy is on the third (I think) engine in his, and it still don't run.

Do not let him near your Lemons car then...

Wow, that Pontiac is way less rusty than most NSF Detroit cars. Or is the rust beneath layers of duct tape and Bondo now?

Where's Uranus? wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/1039901_456316527792335_1848793226_o.jpg

So exactly like they were when new. People forget how shit cars used to be.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

NSF wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:
Where's Uranus? wrote:

https://scontent.ftpa1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14322219_10205730999153147_3407608840700301989_n.jpg?oh=65c401f7da5291aee4d5dc107293520a&oe=5880867B

But the 50 year old cars still rock!    We picked up this gem in GA for Lemons money! 

We're going to race it at CMP!  I'll bet we beat half the field.

Sure to you in Florida, the land that rust forgot. And you know somebody thought "Man even if I don't fix it up this is gonna be one hell of an investment return someday......yup......someday" $500!

Judge Phil wrote:

Wow, that Pontiac is way less rusty than most NSF Detroit cars. Or is the rust beneath layers of duct tape and Bondo now?

Nope. Really solid. Came with zero interior. Which saved us digging out all the rat piss. Winning.

It's a Lemans w/ a GTO hood.

This space for rent.

NSF wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

Nope. Really solid. Came with zero interior. Which saved us digging out all the rat piss. Winning.

It's a Lemon w/ a GTO hood.

Fixed that for you

It Ain't My Fault

Guildenstern wrote:

Nah, any time you watch Roadkill, and see them struggle to get a car up a hill, or to do more than 200 miles in a day, makes me happy to drive my nice new, import daily driver, with working A/C, keep the old domestic crap for fun. Mind you import crap can be just as bad at a certain age (like 25+), mine locked up the rear brake last night, had to drag it home at 15mph, grind, grind, grind big_smile

Guildenstern wrote:
Where's Uranus? wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

I kinda have misgivings about bringing this up but......Well OK, I admit I'm a geezer these days. Whatever.
Back in the '60s when I was going to school @ Humboldt St. Tri 5 chevys could be had for Lemons $.  In 4 years I burned thru 4 '57 chevy BelAir HT's. between wrecking them or blowing them up. The SBC w/ 2 spd. powerglide was not up to my type of abuse. The last one i owned got driven to Shelter Cove and back in low gear. @ 60+mph most of the way. And lost the brakes on the way home just to make the adventure more interesting. I still like the styling of the "57 but I will never own another one.
Now I do this w/ other crap cars...

M45 Racing,
#45 '08 Subaru WRX,
#4  '63 Studebaker Avanti, IOE, The Ridge 2016
#19 '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe(retired) Organizers Choice Award, Sears 2015

Should we ask why you were in low gear? That's shades of Jay in Dogma right there.