Re: Button Turrible, Who's coming?

My Cannonball Run fleet will be ther to DOMINATE ALL THE CLASSES

Will be in garage 9

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

I'll be there as part of Spank's posse.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

I have been juggling commitments and scrounging cash to be part of Spank's onslaught, but unless there is a miracle in the next couple hours, I'm unable to attend.
Seriously bummed

Silversleeves Racing
Austin Mini #42 | John Lemmons Wolseley Hornet
Austin 1800 #49  V6 Landcrab - Organizer's Choice PNW2013 | Class C Winner 2015
Barbie's Corvette #44 - Organizer's Choice PNW2014

the Brawndo Car will be there.

Liam Nissan will be there!

EVERYONE hated our updated theme at Thunderhill so we're back to taping faces on our car. You're welcome.

http://stateshirt.com/images/racing/liam_bw2016.jpg

Liam Nissan and the Hazard Fraught Fools.

http://i64.tinypic.com/10oh01c.jpg

The Bavarian Ranchero will be there.  Its our first time at BW, so we are looking forward to it (we have heard good things about the track and we can't wait to see the grandeur that is Buttonwillow, CA).

Paul, aka BuFord Hogswaller:  Team Captain, Team Bavarian Ranchero and Team Pink Lloyd

33 (edited by billybobster 2016-09-24 08:40 PM)

pgeorgeson wrote:

The Bavarian Ranchero will be there.  Its our first time at BW, so we are looking forward to it (we have heard good things about the track and we can't wait to see the grandeur that is Buttonwillow, CA).

I don't want you to get your hopes up. Buttonwillow (the metropolis) is about 15 minutes south of Buttonwillow (the raceway). I've been to the track twice now and yet to see Buttonwillow, The Paris of the Western Southern Central Valley™. I have been to Wasco, Shafter, Taft and McKittrick. That was enough excitement for one lifetime.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

The town of Buttonwillow is home to the only NAPA auto parts store in the area.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:

The town of Buttonwillow is home to the only NAPA auto parts store in the area.

Actually, there are two NAPA's about equal distance.  The one north of the track looks to be mostly farm/tractor supply

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Shafter does have a Napa and Autozone, which I've been to. Also a Carquest which I haven't been to. Although Shafter is 8 minutes farther away than Buttonwillow from the track. The drive to Shafter also requires one turn, rather than three to Buttonwillow, helpful for the addlepated Lemons driver.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

stateshirt wrote:

Liam Nissan will be there!

EVERYONE hated our updated theme at Thunderhill so we're back to taping faces on our car. You're welcome.

As one of the fans of the Liam Nissan Decoupage Theme, I thank you.

Friday Night,Mostly clear, with a low around 54. Northwest wind 5 to 15 mph.
Saturday, Sunny, with a high near 79. South wind around 5 mph becoming northwest in the morning.

M45 Racing,
#45 '08 Subaru WRX,
#4  '63 Studebaker Avanti, IOE, The Ridge 2016
#19 '90 Thunderbird Super Coupe(retired) Organizers Choice Award, Sears 2015

You skipped over that it is supposed to be 96 on Thurs and 90 on Fri. So if it doesn't push out as scheduled, it could be ballz.

billybobster wrote:

Shafter does have a Napa and Autozone, which I've been to. Also a Carquest which I haven't been to. Although Shafter is 8 minutes farther away than Buttonwillow from the track. The drive to Shafter also requires one turn, rather than three to Buttonwillow, helpful for the addlepated Lemons driver.

Thanks for the correction.   I knew about the Autozone in Shafter, but not the NAPA.

You forgot the nearby scenic vistas to the west dotted with oil pump jacks as far as the eye can see.  The great Cymric and Belridge oilfields where in excess of 1 billion barrels 30 API low sulfur medium crude oil!

Neighboring McKittrick has natural tar seeps which bubble with natural gas. A local hobby is to. Throw matches at the bubbles and enjoy the accompanying column of flames.

theinvictus1 wrote:

You forgot the nearby scenic vistas to the west dotted with oil pump jacks as far as the eye can see.  The great Cymric and Belridge oilfields where in excess of 1 billion barrels 30 API low sulfur medium crude oil!

Neighboring McKittrick has natural tar seeps which bubble with natural gas. A local hobby is to. Throw matches at the bubbles and enjoy the accompanying column of flames.

When I was a callow child Mech. Eng., my first job out of college was with a company that was trying to bring advanced tech into oil production. I spent some time in the southern Central Valley "oil patch" (as it is called) . The oil fields down there are mega-huge. You just don't see them much from 5.

Over near Taft/McKittrick, they've left up some of the 1900's era oil tech, like wood derricks and the pre-electrification pumpers. This includes crude-fired steam engines that drove lengthy networks of linkages that went out to the pumpers. LeMony!

billybobster wrote:

Over near Taft/McKittrick, they've left up some of the 1900's era oil tech, like wood derricks and the pre-electrification pumpers. This includes crude-fired steam engines that drove lengthy networks of linkages that went out to the pumpers. LeMony!

Oooooo, I want to see that!   Can you be a bit more specific where it is?   Or where I can get more information?

44 (edited by billybobster 2016-09-25 12:47 PM)

My guided tour of that area was done by someone from an oil company as we drove from field to field.

Down around Taft/McKittrick somewhere (but I can't remember exactly) you could see the linkage (or they might be cable) systems - called jacklines - just off the highway. But there seem to be better examples of this Rube Goldberg tech elsewhere down there. This is a picture from http://www.sjvgeology.org/old_stuff/lar … river.html - there are some oil pipes in that picture but most of what you see are the jacklines. These are driven by electric motor at the top of the hill on the concrete pad. My feeble memory recalls crude fired steam engines too, although I might be conflating with crude fired steam boilers that were used for steam injection to goose old wells.

http://www.sjvgeology.org/old_stuff/lariverrailroads/oil_city1.jpg

You might also try calling these two oil museums - they have wood derricks but I think there are some still out in the field. Also very old metal derricks as I recall. Oil production is like farming - there's a lot of old stuff out there that never leaves.

http://www.kernpioneer.org/blackgold

https://www.yelp.com/biz/west-kern-oil-museum-taft

There are a few metal derricks, the only wood Derrick left is in Taft at the west kern oil museum.

theinvictus1 wrote:

There are a few metal derricks, the only wood Derrick left is in Taft at the west kern oil museum.

Thanks for the correction. Last time I was there was a while ago. Here's a picture I snapped with my Brownie.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Signal_Hill,_1926.jpg

Brawndo will help with my memory.

I've unfortunately just had 3 dropouts due to family emergencies. (it's gonna happen with 28 drivers sharing 7 cars).

I can offer to sell their virtual seat time to anyone looking to experience Class C at it's bottomest there at Buttonwillow.

Email me for price and other details.

Spank wrote:

I've unfortunately just had 3 dropouts due to family emergencies. (it's gonna happen with 28 drivers sharing 7 cars).

I can offer to sell their virtual seat time to anyone looking to experience Class C at it's bottomest there at Buttonwillow.

7 cars?! You're a madman!

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Should we bake Nic and Jay a cake or something for this race? 10 candles, tiny cars crashing in the icing? In honor of the upcoming tenth.

ronman wrote:
Spank wrote:

7 cars?! You're a madman!

The analogy I've been using is, I like Doritos. But if I eat 7 bags of Doritos in one weekend, I'll probably condition myself to be sick of them for a good long while and then slowly I'll be able to reintroduce myself to eating them, but in a more-healthy portion size.

I've had tremendous help resurrecting these cars. Some haven't run wince 2013. It's my (our) gift to Lemons and their anniversary celebration. Those people helping are the true madmen and madwomen.