Re: CMP - Post race

soldmystang wrote:
Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
soldmystang wrote:

Who was driving the #8 Camaro last stint Saturday?  T-11................

We were just gettimg in and out of the car after 45 minutes or so.  May have been me, but I really have no idea.  Hopefully, nothing horrible?

Probably wasn't you then..............ya'll spun us both in T-11.  I was on the inside...... busted the right turn signal, nothing major other than the black flag.

I only remember 1 black flag.  The young guy came in to the paddock and told us he got a black flag.  I'm sorry he didn't find you guys.  Had I known, I'd have advised him to stop by with a beer for each of you.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

steve wrote:

I drove for 2 teams, the #8 black and green camero and the #21 white 88 Thunderbird.  Drove the Camaro Saturday, after having driven the T bird last year.  The Camaro and I took a while to get acquainted, it was skittish hitting curbing and that's how blind folks like me drive.  I realized with maybe 2 minutes left in my stint to avoid the curbs, and things got simpler.  The Camaro ran fine all day, but I never got the confidence to really go after it.  I don't think I went full throttle more than a few times during my stints.

Late Saturday night, I was informed that I'd been traded to the T bird team, for 2 drivers and a driver to be named later.  The Bird was 5 laps out of first place and 1 lap out of second in B, IIRC.  I was to drive the 12:00-2:00 stint..  Morning session, Eric brought the car in maybe 3 laps down in first and maybe 2 down to second.  We knew we could beat the red Firebird (second place car) on pit strategy, as they could run for around 90 minutes.  My plan was to take it easy for a while and pace the firebird, which was the car directly in front of me at the start of the afternoon session.That plan lasted about 2 1/2 laps, as I felt like I was back with an old friend, and we were feeling pretty racey.  I passed on the back straight, IIRC, and was able to keep them back for a few laps.  I felt the tires scrubbing on the long right handers, and didn't want to use the tires up before the last stint, so I pointed the Firebird by and proceeded to lose him in traffic. Brilliant strategy!  I got feedback that the car was  never more than 30 seconds or so in front, so I didn't try to make time up.  As a matter of fact, probably dropped another tenth to save wear.  Drove the track for a while in mostly fourth, trying to pass the green neon after T1, see a yellow ahead, tap the brakes way too hard to avoid a black flag and get all squirrely.  Self report, hear how well we were doing from Judge Steve and he tells me to get back out there and keep looking ahead.

Unfortunately for my team, that was all she wrote.  I believe we finished second in B, 2 laps down to the red firebird, which was well driven and faster than you'd think a V6 4th gen would be. 

There were many times I'd wished there was a camera on board, got to see a lot of good and a lot crappy driving.

Parade was great, BBQ was better, and I was sorry to hear we lost another good person from our quirky, loving group.

For anyone I pulled a dick move on, I'm sorry, and I can't wait to see y'all back at Barber in February!

Congratulations on the run we were in the corvette summer car that was leading class b Saturday at the conclusion by 4 laps after the Knoxville lowballers class c car bit the dust and the judges decided to move them back up to class A. Technically they should have been to begin with but they were going for a Trifecta in that they were going to try and win Class A,B, and C. Those guys were stupid quick out there and drove really clean but the c class car just couldn't make it. We ended up starting the race on Sunday with a brand new driver working on a couple of hours of sleep for the weekend due to having a late flight back from the left coast on Saturday. The Firebird guys just kept laying down smooth consistent fast laps while our new driver struggled to get a handle on the car. We ended up losing 3 of the 4 lap lead by the 11:00 mandatory stop. During that time we asked about fueling the cars in the paddock due to it being a Cold track and they said yes no problem. The part we missed was the fuelers needed to be completely decked out in race suit, helmet, gloves and such. So you can imagine their horror when they saw my guys in shorts and bare chested throwing fuel in the back of the car. At the start of the Sunday afternoon we were quickly black flagged and brought in to the penalty box to discuss the virtues of wearing safety gear when fueling. This took us out of the lead by a couple of laps. We were back and forth with you guys as far as second place goes and could have stayed out and made it a one stop pit stop for the second half but decided due to the heat we wouldn't run but 1.5 hours and pit. We finished just 14 seconds behind the Thunderbird in third place. The decision to pit came after I drove the Second time on Saturday and got out of the car disoriented and dehydrated. I ended up being taken to the tower to get in the AC and get checked out, heart rate was around 140 and I was having trouble focusing. After about a half hour of cooling off with freezer packs on me things started to get back to normal, I'd like to say thank you to those in the care center that helped me and made it entertaining while doing it. Often times they go unnoticed but lets hope you never need to see them. Hats off to Jay and Phil for a great weekend of racing and an awesome Block party, Lemons Rocks!!!!!

Wow, I'm glad you're OK, especially considering what happened to the guy in the paddock Saturday afternoon.

I loved the car, was completely baffled as to what it was (originally).  I asked you from the other side of the fence if it was an Opel GT.  I also posted "500 paint job, my ass!" in the lounge.  Lots of people still don't get it...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

This is the first race I truly felt hot in the car... and I did a 2 hour stint at Sebring in 104* temps without skipping a beat. Maybe it was driving an actually fast car.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

soldmystang wrote:

We were just gettimg in and out of the car after 45 minutes or so.  May have been me, but I really have no idea.  Hopefully, nothing horrible?

Probably wasn't you then..............ya'll spun us both in T-11.  I was on the inside...... busted the right turn signal, nothing major other than the black flag.

I remember our young guy got a black flag. I don't recall him mentioning why.  Sorry that he didn't stop by to apologize.

No worries, I saw his line in the preceding corners.... sticking those apexes ..... I probably should have known better.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

We also found that the exhaust was routed a bit to close to the floor board and was heating up the inside floor and driveshaft tunnel to extreme temps to the point of having to make sure we didn't lean our leg against the tunnel since it seemed to be lava hot. I will be adding some heat shields to the tunnel on both sides in the near future. We also found a couple of places where the under hood air was spilling into the drivers compartment and we fixed that too.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

81 (edited by revvhappy 2016-09-22 10:05 AM)

I use the same marine aerator timer on our coolshirt system. I set it to (1 minute on/3 minutes off) on Saturday afternoon, and 1 on/7 off Sunday morning. Still had cool water after 2 hours. It's such an amazing feeling when the pump cycles on and you get the cold blast smile

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

This was literally the first time the car had ever been driven for more than 100 feet and it happened to be at the race track. Up until the parade the farthest I had driven it was from the trailer to tech inspection. Changes will be made to it for the next races and yes there will be an emphasis on hydration and safety for the next time. I'm looking into some of the suggestions that were made on here to help us in the near future, so keep em coming. smile

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

Quick question so what happened to the Ranchero coming through the kink on Sunday? It looked like the oil pan fell off with all of the smoke and then the track clean up afterwards.  I saw where they were back on the track later on

84 (edited by VKZ24 2016-09-22 10:43 AM)

revvhappy wrote:

I use the same marine aerator timer on our coolshirt system. I set it to (1 minute on/3 minutes off) on Saturday afternoon, and 1 on/7 off Sunday morning. Still had cool water after 2 hours. It's such an amazing feeling when the pump cycles on and you get the cold blast smile

Mine was on the entire time and I still had ice after two hours.   I have a programmable interval timer that we used to use years ago, but I'm older now and I want it cold all the time.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Yeah, we have a programmable 12V timer that I took the time to program and install, just to watch all of our drivers (myself included) use the always on position of the switch for the coolshirt, bypassing our fancy timer relay.

Our ice didn't last two hours though, I probably shouldn't have bought the cheapest cooler I could find.  I'd love to know what kind of cooler you are running VKZ24 so I can rip the guts out of ours and put it into something that will last longer.  We were using homemade ice blocks, e.g. frozen milk jugs and cutting them open to dump in the block of ice, but this is obviously not as good as a solid, clear block of ice.

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)

We only have a homemade 19Qt Yeti cooler. We can stuff an entire 10lb bag of ice in with water but it won't stay cool on continuous running for more than an hour on a hot day.

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

GoFastEnthusiast wrote:

I'd love to know what kind of cooler you are running VKZ24 so I can rip the guts out of ours and put it into something that will last longer.  We were using homemade ice blocks, e.g. frozen milk jugs and cutting them open to dump in the block of ice, but this is obviously not as good as a solid, clear block of ice.

I'm using a standard 24 quart Rubbermaid cooler.  We use start with about 1.5" of water and the rest is just bagged ice crammed FULL.  Last 2 hours with the pump running continuously.  At each stop we added about 10lb. of new ice and kept on trucking.  Using an external pump, we have room for a little more ice than most.

Captain

We started using 5-pound 5-degree freezer packs in our cool shirt cooler. They keep a driver cool for almost 2 hours, then we just swap a couple of fresh packs in at the driver swap. A 3.5 cu. ft. chest freezer freezes them solid and uses very little current. They get the cooler so cold that it actually freezes some of the water for the first 40 minutes. I build a PVC frame in to the cooler that has 2 slots for ice packs, and they have handles on the top which makes them very easy to handle. We didn't really need them for our 3-lap stints at CMP.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

We didn't really need them for our 3-lap stints at CMP.

Hah, maybe you should have routed some of that cooling to the electric motor!

I'm using a standard 24 quart Rubbermaid cooler.

We have a $20 48qt coleman.  Guess I should try more ice and less water or the freezer packs before splurging on some expensive cooler.

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)

VKZ24 wrote:
GoFastEnthusiast wrote:

I'd love to know what kind of cooler you are running VKZ24 so I can rip the guts out of ours and put it into something that will last longer.  We were using homemade ice blocks, e.g. frozen milk jugs and cutting them open to dump in the block of ice, but this is obviously not as good as a solid, clear block of ice.

I'm using a standard 24 quart Rubbermaid cooler.  We use start with about 1.5" of water and the rest is just bagged ice crammed FULL.  Last 2 hours with the pump running continuously.  At each stop we added about 10lb. of new ice and kept on trucking.  Using an external pump, we have room for a little more ice than most.

have you ever considered separating the return line and running it through something like a transmission cooler hung in a window of the car or else where to try and cool the hot return water back to the ice cooler?

91 (edited by Disco 2016-09-22 01:16 PM)

gm2 wrote:

The Knoxvegas Lowballers had a great time as usual.  Parade was great, bbq was great, racing was great.

Sorry about your motor CRX of Death, but I gotta say, that explosion was the most spectacular thing I saw all weekend.  It was like a scene from Fast and Furious...we were drag racing into the kink, the Geo starts to pull a little bit, door to door, and BOOOOOOM, the hood on the CRX looked like it flexed out 6 inches, massive amounts of smoke pouring out of every body seam. You started dropping back and pulling off immediately.  Best of luck getting her fixed up, that thing is faster every time I see it!

Also, a good clip from van-cam at the parade:
https://youtu.be/dsV5fFK-yBE

No worries brother we had a blast (pun intended). Just gotta get another stock b16 which is kinda hard to find nowadays and toss it in there. 
We actually had another team accuse us of swapping in a "cheaty" motor since Barber because we were so much faster this time.  It is all exactly the same engine stuff but new, to us, shocks and springs taken from another now defunct bumble bee Crx.  I also did more set up work to add camber.  The proof that we were just driving harder is in the tires.  We had new star specs at Barber and when we got done they still looked new.  We used up those same tires and another whole set at cmp in one weekend.  It all boiled down to the car working better and being more planted to the track.  I know nothing about road course set up but ask any of my team and they will tell you that I'm humble enough to ask everyone what I'm doing wrong and take in all the advice.  I may have to cipher through it all and decide what's possible with my abilities and budget but I will listen to everyone.  Thanks again guys!!!!!

Disco

" the only good thing hipsters have brought about is the canning of non crappy beers"

Disco wrote:

The proof that we were just driving harder is in the tires.  We had new star specs at Barber and when we got done they still looked new.  We used up those same tires and another whole set at cmp in one weekend.

No fair comparison can be made between tire wear at Barber vs. CMP (aka the cheese grater).  We could run two entire weekends on a set of tires at Barber, but after just one day at CMP, the LF was corded.  Same goes for brakes.  You'll get double the wear at CMP vs. Barber.  It's just the nature of the beast.

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:
Disco wrote:

The proof that we were just driving harder is in the tires.  We had new star specs at Barber and when we got done they still looked new.  We used up those same tires and another whole set at cmp in one weekend.

No fair comparison can be made between tire wear at Barber vs. CMP (aka the cheese grater).  We could run two entire weekends on a set of tires at Barber, but after just one day at CMP, the LF was corded.  Same goes for brakes.  You'll get double the wear at CMP vs. Barber.  It's just the nature of the beast.

Well lol that's my story and I'm sticking to it ha ha ha we just plain drove harder at cmp!!!!  Also not having to pay for each blade of grass if you went off took away a bunch of fears. 

Btw I'd like to buy one of your cool suit coolers in the near future.  How does that happen?

Disco

" the only good thing hipsters have brought about is the canning of non crappy beers"

Disco,

Sorry the bumble bee got under your skin, I apologize. One of our drivers got carried away, combination of adrenaline and emotion. Happens to all of us from time to time. I appreciate you backing off. Unfortunately, he paid for it before he got himself under control by rear ending a red BMW. He told them in black flag that it was all his fault and on Saturday night he found the BMW team and apologized. No significant damage to the BMW but the bumble bee is totaled. We put it back together enough to finish the race but the frame is bent beyond the point of getting the wheels back in line.

We have been running a Bumble Bee car in Lemons for a lot of years. I bought a parts car today and we will have at Bumble Bee at Barber. Not sure if I am going to move a part of the frame and front clip to the Bee or move everything else from the Bee to the parts car. Need to think about it.

Looking forward to seeing you guys at Barber!

Jerry

Disco wrote:

Btw I'd like to buy one of your cool suit coolers in the near future.  How does that happen?

Disco

Just email me at vkeenez24@gmail.com and we'll discuss the details.

Captain

moparfan wrote:

Disco,

Sorry the bumble bee got under your skin, I apologize. One of our drivers got carried away, combination of adrenaline and emotion. Happens to all of us from time to time. I appreciate you backing off. Unfortunately, he paid for it before he got himself under control by rear ending a red BMW. He told them in black flag that it was all his fault and on Saturday night he found the BMW team and apologized. No significant damage to the BMW but the bumble bee is totaled. We put it back together enough to finish the race but the frame is bent beyond the point of getting the wheels back in line.

We have been running a Bumble Bee car in Lemons for a lot of years. I bought a parts car today and we will have at Bumble Bee at Barber. Not sure if I am going to move a part of the frame and front clip to the Bee or move everything else from the Bee to the parts car. Need to think about it.

Jerry

I can't wait to race with y'all again!!!  I just emailed you telling you that I still have your old Crx shell and you can have it for free if you come and get it.

Thanks for the apology but it was really not a big deal.  I am very sorry to hear that your civic is toast.

Disco

moparfan wrote:

Disco,

Jerry

I have a purple EG coupe that someone gave me sitting here.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

This was Formula None's third CMP and it was work getting there this year.  Actually, it was CMP following the Rally to Hell with only two weekends after we got back that was the problem.  I thought that I had started prepping for everything early enough this summer, but having to overhaul the VW Thing engine for the rally set me behind on prepping the Meatball, and then when I found a bunch of floorboard rot on it, I was way, way behind.  But, we got the mandated new seat in for the race, even if we didn't get the car to the parade.  Unfortunately, the lack of prep bit us on the track Saturday afternoon as the rear brakes got so thin, the outer pad wedged between the caliper and the rotor, overheating the fluid and making the brakes almost non-existant.  We were prepared enough to have spares, however, so it only cost us about an hour.  We also had a rumble start up on us Saturday morning that just kept getting worse.  Probably the front left wheel bearing, which made the Kink interesting as the wheel got loaded up at speed.  I don't think that any of the bearings have been touched since at least before the car was parked under a tree on the Mississippi Gulf coast 6+ years ago, and possibly since it left Sweden in '88, so it's past time for some attention.

On track, the car felt good, as did the new Kirkey 70 seat, and we enjoyed (most of) the close racing.  I guess I'm less enamored of a certain red, white and blue clown shoe than most, after being punted with damage at Barber, and then having to take evasive action to avoid damage to the other side of the car after he plowed into a pack of cars at the hairpin after the Kink. To my eye, it looked like too many slower cars were having to make adjustments for his agressive positioning. Kind of the opposite of the Saturday morning driver meeting suggestions.  Oh well, probably just one driver. Racing with the black/yellow Lemons police car on Sunday afternoon, on the other hand, was a hoot.  Easily 15 laps of one of us chasing the other down, being nose to tail, or side by side.  He had me on power, but I had him on braking and cornering.  Sorry, (but not really) if some of my track positioning during braking with him behind me screwed up other people, but that car needed to stay behind me! I found out later that he was yelling into his radio, "I'm going to get that Saab! I'm going to get that Saab!" after I passed him, so I think the feeling was mutual. Had some good running with the radioactive Mustang, also, before they went off road at the Kink.

Anyway, tons o' fun.  Couldn't partake of the bbq (parts run), but next year I think I'm going to bring a shrimp boil for it. Did, however, have dinner with Disco and the Death of a CRX team on the way out of town.  Good people.  Funny people!  (Disco, we need to get together between races.)  I hope we stayed adequately out of the way of you speedsters, and we'll see you at Barber (and maybe at the rumored rally east?), hopefully with more power and better handling!

Formula None
Because Saab Turbos have too much power
Inexplicably OC @ Humidi TT 2014

rmcdaniels wrote:
moparfan wrote:

Disco,

Jerry

I have a purple EG coupe that someone gave me sitting here.

Oh yeah, forgot about the purple one. I bet Bob is the only guy that has processed more titles.

Klayfish wrote:

Has anyone seen the results yet, or know when they'll be posted?  I'm eager to check my lap times.  In my last stint, I felt like I got into a really good grove and want to see if the times back that up...or if I'm still as slow as ever.

They are up on mylaps.com.

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013