Topic: Party Crashing at Gingerman? (October Race)

Myself and a friend are planning on attending the Gingerman October race as spectators..

While I have previous race experience in a different series I will not be attending this event as a Driver or Crew for a specific team (nor do I really wish to wrench  that weekend..) so I'm going to buy a weekend spectator pass.

So a few questions..    Is that weekend spectator pass good for the Friday Lemons Tech/Gingerman run track day?  I was planning on visiting an automotive museum (Gilmore) Friday morning and then visit the track for a few hours...  If spectators aren't allowed on Friday I'll find something else for the afternoon..

Also,  While every team I've ever talked to at the track has been more than generous and very friendly..  is it considered tacky to party crash any of the events after the final checkered flag of the day?   I realize that many (most) of the teams know each other but this would be outsiders attempting to mingle..

Or are there any teams looking to adopt a former SCCA crew chief and a former NHRA track official for the weekend? smile

-Nic

2 (edited by BoB 2016-09-29 02:16 PM)

Re: Party Crashing at Gingerman? (October Race)

Spectators are welcome on friday.  Typically it is suggested that people who want to race Lemons attend tech day to get a better understanding of how it works and look at what is needed to pass tech.

As for outsiders mingling, Pretty much every team I've met is welcoming to everyone.  As long as they aren't trying to put their car out or neck deep in repairs everyone is pretty happy to talk and party with anyone that shows up.

It should be noted there is some kind of HQ thing Saturday night for the 10th anniversary.  Its run by Lemons so not exactly sure if they are looking to feed spectators along with crew and racers, and I wouldn't want to speak for them.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

There is an entrance fee for Friday, I think it's $10 and for Sat. & Sun. I think it's $30 total for both days. That's what it's been in the past.
Parking for spectators can be hard. Just don't take an empty space without checking with the race teams nearby. They may be saving that spot for other team members.

Not only does your $30 dollars get you in on Friday, but if you show up in the line Thursday evening, you can slip in as a hanger-on with a team.  Hell, I will give you same offer I give others in your situation:

Bring a bed roll and a tolerance for crashing in an enclosed trailer (sort of heated or air conditioned as required) with 2-3 other guys and the friendliest giant dog you ever met and we will give you a place to crash, let you eat our food and drink our beer.  This applies anytime you show up but the very small Thursday evening roving paddock party allows you to met a lot of local teams on more "intamate" level in that most are not working on their cars.

As mentioned, Friday 12-5 is VERY important if you choose to field a car in the future.  It is also a blast!

Friday night, Lemons HQ is feeding us.  Saturday night I am organizing a Lemons block party and potluck that will be up and down the reserved paddock spots of which 16 are reserved by regulars of the Midwest races.

Look for the guy with the giant beard with a tomato-red new'sh Ford F250 in paddock slot 12.  If all else fails, look for the suicide door 1940's Plymouth.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Friday night, Lemons HQ is feeding us.  Saturday night I am organizing a Lemons block party and potluck that will be up and down the reserved paddock spots of which 16 are reserved by regulars of the Midwest races.

Look for the guy with the giant beard with a tomato-red new'sh Ford F250 in paddock slot 12.  If all else fails, look for the suicide door 1940's Plymouth.

You have that backwards. Lemons is feeding us Saturday. You're feeding us Friday.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

cabinboy wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

You have that backwards. Lemons is feeding us Saturday. You're feeding us Friday.

What he said....

7 (edited by nickh30 2016-09-30 03:37 PM)

jimbbski wrote:

Parking for spectators can be hard. Just don't take an empty space without checking with the race teams nearby. They may be saving that spot for other team members.

I've been to enough events to know to park far away from anything even resembling a good paddock parking place..  Definitely not a spot in the field along the front straight or near the reserved spots between pit out and turn one..

And I generally make sure my business card with my cell phone number on it is on the dash of the car..   so if someone determines it's in a bad spot I can move it..

OnkelUdo wrote:

Bring a bed roll and a tolerance for crashing in an enclosed trailer (sort of heated or air conditioned as required) with 2-3 other guys and the friendliest giant dog you ever met and we will give you a place to crash, let you eat our food and drink our beer.  This applies anytime you show up but the very small Thursday evening roving paddock party allows you to met a lot of local teams on more "intamate" level in that most are not working on their cars..

That is a very generous offer.. I have a place to crash for the weekend but I'd definitely love to drop in and say hello..   perhaps grab a beverage although your beer is safe as I don't really drink all that much..

as things get closer let me know if there's anything I may be able to assist with for your party..    if you'd need me to run into town that day for something, etc.. I'll have a street car and won't be preparing a race car or anything..

Even if I'm not mooching food I'll likely hang out to just to get a better feel for things and to BS.

-Nic

nickh30 wrote:

That is a very generous offer.. I have a place to crash for the weekend but I'd definitely love to drop in and say hello..   perhaps grab a beverage although your beer is safe as I don't really drink all that much..

as things get closer let me know if there's anything I may be able to assist with for your party..    if you'd need me to run into town that day for something, etc.. I'll have a street car and won't be preparing a race car or anything..

Even if I'm not mooching food I'll likely hang out to just to get a better feel for things and to BS.

-Nic

OK, As other mentioned, Friday night is the potluck....Saturday is the Lemons HQ barbeque.

The "Usual Suspects" will be most of the paddocks track side from the gate to the timing tower.  Anyone there will welcome you if there are no serious mechanical issues going on.

We'll be in that same stretch of the paddocks, but if you see us staring at the car and scratching our heads you are more than encouraged to stop by as we don't have a clue.  Also, an open invite the rest of the time as well.  We don't know the Midwest guys either so we'll meet them together.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

meyers0150 wrote:

We'll be in that same stretch of the paddocks, but if you see us staring at the car and scratching our heads you are more than encouraged to stop by as we don't have a clue.  Also, an open invite the rest of the time as well.  We don't know the Midwest guys either so we'll meet them together.

Is this the guy who knows Digman?  Either way, the Midwest guys are about as solid a group as you'll meet anywhere.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

12 (edited by nickh30 2016-10-10 04:25 PM)

I wanted to personally thank the teams at the race that invited two strangers into their pit space, shared their food and beverages, and most of all took the time to stop and talk about anything and everything racing or otherwise..

I want to especially thank Team Bad Decisions and Team Skypasiv for going out of their way to welcome us as if we were part of their teams or had known them forever..  I actually didn't meet any teams that wasn't friendly and open to conversation even when they weren't having the greatest of afternoons mechanically..

We weren't going to hang around long Friday evening since as spectators I wasn't sure if it would be proper to partake in the pot luck that the usual suspects were having..   However, it was impossible to walk past any team without them offering food!  We stayed for a while and had an amazing time..    I'm sure my waistline could have done without the mac and cheese and the piece of cake I had though..

Having been a crew chief in another series I know how some teams can get pretty close and will assist when you need help, hang out together, etc.. but at this event it seemed like that extended to every team at the track..  That there wasn't any team that wouldn't have tried to help if they had a part or tool you needed. and I liked that a lot..

While I'm not sure we'll build and run a car I will definitely be back.  At the very least I'll hit up a race or two a year as a spectator, or perhaps hook up with a team as crew...  or perhaps buy into a seat and drive something at some point..   I admit I'm better at electrical, electronics, radio, etc. than at driving though..

All in all it made for an amazing weekend and really made me miss hanging out at the track..   

Thanks again everyone..

-Nick

I realize I'm waaaaay late to the game on this post but I couldn't help but comment. I just wanted to say that when I started reading this I honestly thought I was having a stroke for a second. My name is Nick, last name starts with H, me and a friend attended Gingerman this year as first-timers and spectators, and you posted every concern I had. I thought I had created a second account and posted stuff for a couple sentences. You don't happen to be from Wisconsin too? That would just be freaky.

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
meyers0150 wrote:

Is this the guy who knows Digman?  Either way, the Midwest guys are about as solid a group as you'll meet anywhere.

Sir Thomas- I believe we do have some common friends, but not sure who Digman is.  I think you know the guys at NJMP who raced the orange Maxima if I remember correctly.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Hodgepodge75 wrote:

You don't happen to be from Wisconsin too? That would just be freaky.

No, I'm from Southeastern Michigan..