Topic: 2017 Schedule.. and Bowling Green is on it.

So in a facebook post some took a picture of GRM or some other publication that was advertising the track at Bowling Green Kentucky. In the picture they named 24 hours of Lemons as a 2017 partner.  So there will be a race there next year.

Then oh the mighty diminutive Eric Rood said that the 2017 schedule was set. 

So let us discuss.

Is Bowling Green replacing a a south event?
Is it adding a new event?

What do we know of the 2017 Schedule?

What tracks do you think are Lemons friendly that you REALLY want to see in this series?

DNF Racing 1992 Mazda Miata
"Cheat to win"

Re: 2017 Schedule.. and Bowling Green is on it.

I'd love to see some different New England Tracks. I do enjoy Thompson/NHMS/New Jersey, but there's some cool new tracks locally like Palmer and Club motorsports that could be enjoyable.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

CTSparky wrote:

What tracks do you think are Lemons friendly that you REALLY want to see in this series?

Watkins Glen.  It's a haul for us, but like Barber the track and facilities are worth it.

My home track is VIR, so I'd like to see it added as it's pretty close for us (2 hours).

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

A 4th event in the south would be awesome. I'm not sure I'd do all 4 again(that was an expensive year) but getting to do 3 races at 3 tracks would be awesome. I'll happily give up my CMP spring for Bowling Green.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

TheEngineer wrote:

I'd love to see some different New England Tracks. I do enjoy Thompson/NHMS/New Jersey, but there's some cool new tracks locally like Palmer and Club motorsports that could be enjoyable.

Chris,
I don't think that Palmer will be on the list anytime soon. The track has some issues with rain evacuation/erosion, and there are a few places where there is little runoff.  (This is from other racers that I know talking to me)  Also their facilities are just now becoming a reality.

Watkins Glen is a great track, and a big enough track to put lots of cars on it, but they just repaved, and I'm sure they are charging an additional amount to make up the cost.  Also would you want hoopties on a nice new surface?  I know that LeMon's used to race there, but I'm unsure if they would go back.

For both of these courses are on our teams radar, and we plan of going to different series to get those tracks under our belts.

"Cheat to win"

CTSparky wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:

Chris,
I don't think that Palmer will be on the list anytime soon. The track has some issues with rain evacuation/erosion, and there are a few places where there is little runoff.  (This is from other racers that I know talking to me)  Also their facilities are just now becoming a reality.

Yea, I know these things. It just looks like a fun alternative to the tracks we usually run. But I don't expect it to come to Lemons anytime soon.

Club Motorsports could be cool. Brand new track, big and wide, good runoff. We'll have to see what their policies are and if they're trying to go the Monticello route or not. They aren't even fully open yet.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Club Motorsports could be cool. Brand new track, big and wide, good runoff. We'll have to see what their policies are and if they're trying to go the Monticello route or not. They aren't even fully open yet.

Club Motorsports would be sick.  The elevation change that they have would be very interesting for many class C cars.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

CTSparky wrote:

Watkins Glen is a great track, and a big enough track to put lots of cars on it, but they just repaved, and I'm sure they are charging an additional amount to make up the cost.  Also would you want hoopties on a nice new surface?  I know that LeMon's used to race there, but I'm unsure if they would go back.

I raced with Chump just a few weeks after Watkins Glen was repaved this year, so that's not an issue.  Also, believe it or not, it's cheaper to rent than VIR.

The only drawback to The Glen IMO is the lack of local lodging.  Seneca Lodge is really the only place close, and it's kind of a dump, though I've stayed there three times because there was no other choice.

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:
CTSparky wrote:

I raced with Chump just a few weeks after Watkins Glen was repaved this year, so that's not an issue.  Also, believe it or not, it's cheaper to rent than VIR.

The only drawback to The Glen IMO is the lack of local lodging.  Seneca Lodge is really the only place close, and it's kind of a dump, though I've stayed there three times because there was no other choice.

so that is good to know especially since the Staff at Lemons sometimes needs our help in identifying great places to race.

I know that our team plans on racing there with AER in 2018. It definitely is one of my bucket list tracks.

"Cheat to win"

10 (edited by VKZ24 2016-09-30 01:16 PM)

CTSparky wrote:

so that is good to know especially since the Staff at Lemons sometimes needs our help in identifying great places to race.

I'm sure lots of others besides myself would like to know how it works behind the scenes as to why we race certain tracks, but not others.  That is assuming the attendance is good enough to warrant a certain track.

VIR is a great track, but I'll admit their staff can be a pain to deal with at times.  That, coupled with their high rental cost (compared to CMP) is why I assumed we don't run there.  The track itself is a draw, so more people will come just run there, kind of like the way they do for Barber and Watkins Glen.

Another issue is the calendar spacing of the regional events.  We run both CMP races (used to be all three) and Barber, and would like to add NJMP, but it's date is too close to CMP, and we can't run two events that close together.  Spacing the regional events further apart would be nice for us, but I realize there are many other things that would need to be considered.

I will applaud Jay and Co. for their early publishing of the next season's schedules the past few years.  It really helps with vacation planning and taking time off work for most of us.

Captain

NCM would be fun. So would if we could return to Road America.

-Robert, Party Sheep Racing
The Jerry Lundegaard GMAC Financing Award, Joliet 2013 [Cutlass Ciera w/ Iron Duke]
Eta E30: IL Fall '15, MI Spring '16, IL Summer '16, MI Spring '17, KY '17, MI Summer '21, KY '21, MI Summer '21, MI Fall '22

I would think KY would be Midwest. But then the regions are all just an arbitrary whatever.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

VKZ24 wrote:

Watkins Glen.  It's a haul for us, but like Barber the track and facilities are worth it.

This. As a reformed NASCAR guy, Daytona will always be my "dream track", but The Glen takes a close second.

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

Can we get another race at Road America???

I know I know I'm biased...but come on 

ROAD AMERICA!!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Highly doubt they would would add a 4th south race, my guess is that they will eliminate one of the others.  Those races never fill up and Kentucky is in the South region according to the map.  The Midwest never fills up either other than the 10 year anniversary race.  Gingerman typically has only half of the cars that will run next weekend.  The Northeast typically fills and could use a 4th and Cali races are always filled as well.  That being said, Lemons have reduced the number of races over the years so it seems unlikely they would add races.  Let's hope they reverse that trend this year, more is better!

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

gtopat wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

This. As a reformed NASCAR guy, Daytona will always be my "dream track", but The Glen takes a close second.

I drove Daytona with Chump, and other than being able to say "I raced at Daytona" that's the only real good thing I have to say about it.  The road course is B-O-R-I-N-G and other than the bus stop on the back straight, it was like watching paint dry, especially at the speeds Lemons cars usually run.  I never plan on running it again.

Captain

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

Can we get another race at Road America???

I know I know I'm biased...but come on 

ROAD AMERICA!!

Seconded!  Of the five tracks on which I've driven and on which Lemons has raced, this is by far the most epic.  I had the best race of my life there.  I know it's hella expensive to get a decent weekend, but I'd do the weekday event again.  Even if we only went back once every few minutes, it'd be worth the wait.

Plus Tiptoe's got some unfinished business there wink

15x+ Loser, thinks he's a Real Racer(tm)
Rotaries are great, everyone should try them.

thirded for RA.  It's on my list of tracks to finally drive in 2017, and would rather race with Lemons than one of the other guys

Someday, I need to defile COTA with the sweetest Porsche known to man. Mine.

This will happen. (Do it after February, though, or face my eternal wrath.)

VKZ24 wrote:

I drove Daytona with Chump, and other than being able to say "I raced at Daytona" that's the only real good thing I have to say about it.  The road course is B-O-R-I-N-G and other than the bus stop on the back straight, it was like watching paint dry, especially at the speeds Lemons cars usually run.  I never plan on running it again.

ICR went a few years back to spectate the Chump event. I agree wholeheartedly. That road course is super lame at the chump speeds. It was so cool being inside the track, and watching the cars on the banking and... that's about it. I have no desire to run our car there.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

FPRbuzz wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

ICR went a few years back to spectate the Chump event. I agree wholeheartedly. That road course is super lame at the chump speeds. It was so cool being inside the track, and watching the cars on the banking and... that's about it. I have no desire to run our car there.

Once we were on the banking, there was no 'racing'.  If your car was faster (not the driver) you could pass, otherwise just hold the wheel like a monkey and that was it.

Captain

I believe WG is too tight, with many hard barriers around.  Jay doesn't like immovable objects in close proximity to the racing surface (see Shenandoah)

I heard a race will be added in the northeast or mid atlantic (I forget which), but it won't be in PA.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Pst, if you go log in and click enter an event, you'll see the list.

'Shine Country Classic                    Feb 04 to Feb 5, 2017    Barber Motorsports Park, Leeds AL    SIGN UP
Sears Pointless                                    Mar 25 to Mar 26, 2017    Sonoma Raceway, Sonoma CA    SIGN UP
Arizona D-Bags                                    Apr 08 to Apr 9, 2017    Inde Motorsports Ranch, Wilcox AZ    SIGN UP
The Cure for Gingervitis                    Apr 22 to Apr 23, 2017    GingerMan Raceway, South Haven MI    SIGN UP
Southern Discomfort                            Apr 29 to Apr 30, 2017    Carolina Motorsports Park, Kershaw SC    SIGN UP
Texas Tippin'                                            May 06 to May 7, 2017    MSR Houston, Angleton TX    SIGN UP
The Real Hoopties of New Jersey    May 13 to May 14, 2017    New Jersey Motorsports Park, Millville NJ    SIGN UP
Vodden the Hell Are We Doing?    May 20 to May 21, 2017    Thunderhill Raceway Park, Willows CA    SIGN UP
The B.F.E. GP                                    Jun 03 to Jun 4, 2017    High Plains Raceway, Deer Trail CO    SIGN UP
Kentucky (Demo) Derby                    Jul 08 to Jul 9, 2017    NCM Motorsports Park, Bowling Green KY    SIGN UP
Doing Time in Joliet                            Jul 22 to Jul 23, 2017    Autobahn Country Club, Joliet IL    SIGN UP
Arse-Sweat-Apalooza                            Jul 29 to Jul 30, 2017    Thunderhill Raceway Park, Willows CA    SIGN UP
GP du Lac Chargoggetcetera            Aug 12 to Aug 13, 2017    Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park, Thompson CT    SIGN UP
Pacific Northworst GP                            Aug 26 to Aug 27, 2017    The Ridge Motorsports Park, Shelton WA    SIGN UP
Lemons South Fall                            Sep 16 to Sep 17, 2017    Carolina Motorsports Park, Kershaw SC    SIGN UP
Button Turrible                                    Sep 30 to Oct 1, 2017    Buttonwillow Raceway Park, Buttonwillow CA    SIGN UP
Where the Elite Meet to Cheat            Oct 14 to Oct 15, 2017    GingerMan Raceway, South Haven MI    SIGN UP
Halloween Hooptiefest                    Oct 21 to Oct 22, 2017    New Hampshire Motor Speedway, Loudon NH    SIGN UP
Houston, We Have a Problem            Nov 11 to Nov 12, 2017    MSR Houston, Angleton TX    SIGN UP
Arse-Freeze-Apalooza                    Dec 02 to Dec 3, 2017    Sonoma Raceway, Sonoma CA    SIGN UP
The Kim Harmon Scrotium 500            Dec 09 to Dec 10, 2017    Road Atlanta, Braselton GA    SIGN UP

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

No ECR, but 2 MSRs instead. Not surprising. I've got mixed feelings.

Bowling Green we heard about earlier, but Road Atlanta too? Awesome.

No Miller, and Barber schedule still won't work for my team this year. sad

Overall, 2 more races than this year (21 vs 19). With the two new tracks, I assume that means everything else is about the same.

Cost is going up again....now it will be $175 per driver....
Car is still $600.  So with 4 drivers, $1300, not counting transponder....

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022