Topic: Legal alternatives for neck protection?

Are collars like the "RaceQuip SFI Helmet Support Collar" legal? I could have sword that I saw folks at Gingerman today wearing them.

Re: Legal alternatives for neck protection?

They are not legal.  It needs to be a SFI 38.1 compliant device.  Those collars do not meet that threshold.  Unfortunately the cheapest one cost about 10x as much as that collar.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I believe that you can wear a collar WITH a neck restraint device....

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Thanks guys! That's what I thought, but figured I should clarify.

If you do not want to drop the $600 on a HANS yet you can rent one form here

http://racesuitrental.com/rent_gear.html

$100/per event.  You can rent suits too.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

MZAVARIN wrote:

I believe that you can wear a collar WITH a neck restraint device....

While I'm not an expert by any means I don't see how a collar would fit comfortably and I would bet money all the Head and Neck restraint manufacturers probably caution against doing this.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Actually, Nexgen is making a collar to work with their head and neck restraint.

http://www.necksgen.com/product/wedge-f … t-support/

"She's a brick house" 57th out of 121 and 5th in Class C, There Goes the Neighborhood 2013
"PA Posse" 21st out of 96 and 2nd in Class C, Capitol Offense 2013.
"PA Posse" 29th out of 133 and Class C WINNER, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013
"PA Posse" 33rd out of 151 and 2nd in Class C, The Real Hoopties 2013

8 (edited by MZAVARIN 2016-10-11 07:19 PM)

and Leatt already has a foam collar used in their head & neck restraint that is attached with velcro and straps,  and can be removed.

http://www.leatt.com/shop/braces/motors … x-pro.html

In fact, I tried the Leatt with a regular collar (which is a bit wider that the one they provided, and it definitely adds support, stabilization, and is not at all uncomfortable.
Having said that, I am on the taller side, and likely a longer neck.

My wife tried the Leatt with the manufacturer neck collar, and did not like it.  She said it presses on the bottom of her helmet.
But she is a lot shorter that me (shorter neck), and so does not use it for the race.

From the Hans web site:

Can I wear a "horse collar" foam pad with a HANS Device?
Yes.
Foam collars are comfort accessories, not safety equipment. Wear one to stabilize your head and helmet on rough tracks.
Testing has shown a horse collar adds mass to the helmet and head loads that must be carried by the neck. This increases the chance of injury.

So they do not recommend it.

But some organizations require its use, otherwise you need to use a skirted helmet.

NHRA:
In the 2011 NHRA Rulebook on page 6, section 6B, Top Sportsman, NECK COLLAR/HEAD AND NECK RESTRAINT DEVICE/SYSTEM the second paragraph reads “Beginning Jan. 1, 2012, all drivers in this class will be required to wear a head and neck restraint device/system meeting SFI Spec 38.1.”  A head & neck restraint device can be used with, or without, a neck collar; when a neck collar is not used, an SFI 3.3 head sock or SFI Spec 3.3 skirted helmet is required. This would also apply to all Top Dragsters and any Advanced ET vehicle running 7.49 and quicker in 2012.

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022