Topic: Removing Stuck Nuts

I am having some trouble taking the the exhaust off of my Volvo 240.  I'm taking off the down pipe to rewed the resonator that fell off at NHMS.  The nuts are seized on there good,  I tried PB-Blaster and heat, to minimal success.  Any ideas? The down pipe is attached with studs so really do not want to break them because then I would probably have to take the exhaust manifold off.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

2 (edited by TheEngineer 2016-10-31 06:52 AM)

Re: Removing Stuck Nuts

exhaust bolts are close to impossible, especially in the north east. If they're on there that well, the studs will probably be in poor shape when you do get the nuts off.  My go to reaction to anything exhaust is to just cut it off and replace the hardware.

That said, get some good penetrating fluid. Not PB blaster. Kroil is amazing. Or try home made recipes. My favorite is 50:50 mix of ATF and Diesel. Soak, then hit with heat (there will be a little fire, be careful), then soak again. Repeat many times. Once you get the nut to start moving, do not go for full removal immediately. Back it off a little, then tighten again. Add penetrating fluid, then back off a little and repeat. You want to work the stuff into the threads before you trying to force it completely off. If you're lucky you'll slowly get it to back off.

Another option is to just break the nut. They sell nut splitters that will just break it in half. Then throw a die on the stud to clean it up. They look like this. They may or may not fit on the nut depending on how close to the exhaust they sit.
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/post-splitter.jpg

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

All good suggestions above. The other remedy is heat. lots and lots of heat. Like a red hot nut hot and then you apply your wrench and remove the nut.

But as also stated above there's a good chance that the stud and nut have become one and the stud will snap off.
That's not bad it you can get to the  manifold with a drill and drill out the studs and tap out the holes. I have even welded bolts to the flange when the manifold is something other then cast iron as many newer cars are. .

Good luck.

4 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-10-31 08:41 AM)

OK, just did this job over the last three weekends on my 940.

If it is just the back one you cannot get off because you cannot get a clear shot with an impact (you can barely get a shallow socket on that one with a wobble!) you honestly are better taking off the the exhaust manifold assuming it is a non-turbo.  If it is all three you cannot get of with a quality impact wrench, you MUST take off the exhaust manifold.

I got two of three out "easily" by grinding the tapper off a 9/16" shallow impact socket (my hardware was 15mm but yours could be 17mm).  I had already soaked them for three days in penetrating oil AND took a wire wheel on a dremel to all the areas I could get to removing rust from the threads.  I then put a long extension on the modified socket and pounded it on with a 3# hammer.  The 9/16" is technically a little too small for a 15mm nut but rust had eaten away enough it went on after about 5 whacks.  Then I hit it with forward 3 seconds, backward 3 seconds, rinse repeat until it all at once let loose in both cases.

The third one was not to be so I ended up pulling the manifold anyway.  I did end up rounding off the nut enough I had to weld another nut to it but with it out of the car I could get 90% weld around the nut.

A nut splitter does not fit on that one by the way...in or out of the car.  The infamous guru of the Brickboard, Art Benstein, maintains 11 of these cars and by his own admission, he does not even try to take them off in the car anymore and drills them after to replace with stainless hardware.

OnkelUdo wrote:

OK, just did this job over the last three weekends on my 940.

If it is just the back one you cannot get off because you cannot get a clear shot with an impact (you can barely get a shallow socket on that one with a wobble!) you honestly are better taking off the the exhaust manifold assuming it is a non-turbo.  If it is all three you cannot get of with a quality impact wrench, you MUST take off the exhaust manifold.

I got two of three out "easily" by grinding the tapper off a 9/16" shallow impact socket (my hardware was 15mm but yours could be 17mm).  I had already soaked them for three days in penetrating oil AND took a wire wheel on a dremel to all the areas I could get to removing rust from the threads.  I then put a long extension on the modified socket and pounded it on with a 3# hammer.  The 9/16" is technically a little too small for a 15mm nut but rust had eaten away enough it went on after about 5 whacks.  Then I hit it with forward 3 seconds, backward 3 seconds, rinse repeat until it all at once let loose in both cases.

The third one was not to be so I ended up pulling the manifold anyway.  I did end up rounding off the nut enough I had to weld another nut to it but with it out of the car I could get 90% weld around the nut.

A nut splitter does not fit on that one by the way...in or out of the car.  The infamous guru of the Brickboard, Art Benstein, maintains 11 of these cars and by his own admission, he does not even try to take them off in the car anymore and drills them after to replace with stainless hardware.

It's all three that are stuck.  I managed to get one like a quarter turn but that is it. 

So is the move to take the exhaust manifold off and then dill out the studs and replace with bolts?  The car is NA. I can get another manifold pretty easily if need be.

TheEngineer wrote:

exhaust bolts are close to impossible, especially in the north east. If they're on there that well, the studs will probably be in poor shape when you do get the nuts off.  My go to reaction to anything exhaust is to just cut it off and replace the hardware.

That said, get some good penetrating fluid. Not PB blaster. Kroil is amazing. Or try home made recipes. My favorite is 50:50 mix of ATF and Diesel. Soak, then hit with heat (there will be a little fire, be careful), then soak again. Repeat many times. Once you get the nut to start moving, do not go for full removal immediately. Back it off a little, then tighten again. Add penetrating fluid, then back off a little and repeat. You want to work the stuff into the threads before you trying to force it completely off. If you're lucky you'll slowly get it to back off.

Another option is to just break the nut. They sell nut splitters that will just break it in half. Then throw a die on the stud to clean it up. They look like this. They may or may not fit on the nut depending on how close to the exhaust they sit.
http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/post-splitter.jpg

I think that is what I am going to try.

I hear a mix of ATF and acetone works well as a penetrating fluid. 

I don't think a nut spliter is going to fit in there unfortunately.

I don't like the ATF/Acetone mix as well. I learned the ATF/Diesel mix from a family friend that works for a major airline. Apparently that's what the mechanics use. It was my go to before I found Kroil.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

8 (edited by OnkelUdo 2016-10-31 10:26 AM)

mully006 wrote:

So is the move to take the exhaust manifold off and then dill out the studs and replace with bolts?  The car is NA. I can get another manifold pretty easily if need be.

I would get it out, drop a larger nut down on there and weld it to the old nut.  It it does not work and your weld is not what breaks, the studs will break off flush.  Drill them our and either just drop a bolt in there or or re-tap it for a stud.

OnkelUdo wrote:
mully006 wrote:

I would get it out, drop a larger nut down on there and weld it to the old nut.  It it does not work and your weld is not what breaks, the studs will break off flush.  Drill them our and either just drop a bolt in there or or re-tap it for a stud.

Will do.

Could also just re-weld the exhaust on with the down pipe still attached.  I would like to tuck the exhaust up higher under the car though, its pretty close to the ground.

mully006 wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:
mully006 wrote:

Will do.

Could also just re-weld the exhaust on with the down pipe still attached.  I would like to tuck the exhaust up higher under the car though, its pretty close to the ground.

FYI, the "standard" nuts for the 10 mm studs are 17 mm.  If you can thread one on, weld it to the original nut, it solves two problems in one.  Cleans up the exposed threads and gives you a much bigger bearing surface for the socket.

I've had good luck in the past using heat and candle wax https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qqMXXGgFQg

#814, Nothin's Hotter Than A Cougar Racing, 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7