Topic: What Race to Roadtrip To?

What race would you go to if you were going to road trip to one?

CMP with the parade and block party?
A Cali race?
Australia?

Team from New England so we have done all the local races.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496

Re: What Race to Roadtrip To?

mully006 wrote:

What race would you go to if you were going to road trip to one?

CMP with the parade and block party?
A Cali race?
Australia?

Team from New England so we have done all the local races.

What's your towing radius?  The CMP block party is fun, but for the actual track, Barber is worth the tow IMO.  Since you are even further away than us, I'm sure RA will be worth it, though this year will be our first time there.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

What's your towing radius?  The CMP block party is fun, but for the actual track, Barber is worth the tow IMO.  Since you are even further away than us, I'm sure RA will be worth it, though this year will be our first time there.

I was not worried about towing radius.  More so if you just had to pick one.  South east and mid-west are all about 13-20 hours.  Cali is a multi day trip

Barber.

Barber

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Go all out. Do the Lemon's Moscow to Paris road rally the first week of February then enter the race at Barber! I think doing so with your race car gets you in the rally free.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Maverick74 wrote:

Go all out. Do the Lemon's Moscow to Paris road rally the first week of February then enter the race at Barber! I think doing so with your race car gets you in the rally free.

Small problem on the lack of plates on the racecar.  And the fact that it is broken.

mully006 wrote:
Maverick74 wrote:

Small problem on the lack of plates on the racecar.  And the fact that it is broken.

Feb is like 3 months from now.  Some folks build complete cars in less time than that.  Get back to work slackers!  wink

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

Barber!

OK, one caveat...how confident are you in your ability to get there and back with your full rig in February?  Not sure how the East Coast run fares that time of year but this year we went from the Chicago area and it was a serious concern.

It was below freezing the whole way down (mostly single digits) but clear.  On the return trip I traveled through moderately heavy snow squalls with 150 foot visibility and high crosswinds.  I kept ahead of the real ugliness by a little over and hour in northern KY and southern IN.

Thunderhill is good.

It was a long tow from Indiana, but we had a blast at BFE GP in 2015. Really great track. We hope to go back when we get more time. Granted I almost ran into that Prelude.....and spun out HARD half a corner after passing R2D2. Still, we want to go back!

I wouldn't mind towing out to Thunderhill or The Ridge. I considered doing the West Coast Rally in addition to the Retreat From Moscow but getting our Volvo put together and raced will probably eat up a lot of my money.

I think High Plains Raceway is a lot of fun, and the Colorado racers are the craziest fabricators in the country. Pretty long haul from New England, though.

Do we have to limit it to Lemons?

While currently our most epic road trip was to the Lemons race at Sebring, we're going to COTA in a couple of weeks and it should be pretty awesome.

Pick someplace you haven't been, if you can. I think our most anticipated Lemons race next year is Road Atlanta, mostly because three of us haven't been there yet, but looking at other series, we may also plan a big trip to Road America or Daytona, neither of which we have been to yet.

That said, you won't go wrong with the CMP fall parade/party/race. It is my favorite event of the year. The Terminally Confused barbecue feast is fantastic, and the Duff Beer is the best free beer brewed by someone named McDaniels that you can get. Barber is also an amazing facility and a fun race. People come from all over and you get to race with some fun teams.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

How does the parade and block party work at CMP? Do you have to trailer your car into town? How far away is it from the track?

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

It's a little over 20 miles. If your car isn't street-legal, then you'll have to trailer it. We actually borrowed someone's truck and used a tow bar, since our car had a tow bar on it when we bought it. There's a big field that you park in south of town, then drive the car a few blocks to downtown. There's music and food, and a lot of people come out to check out the cars and teams. After a few hours of BS judging, you drive back to the field, put it on the trailer, and head back to the track.

rmcdaniels wrote:

we may also plan a big trip to Road America or Daytona, neither of which we have been to yet.

If you are going to run with Chump, forget Daytona and hit Watkins Glen instead.  Daytona is pretty much zero fun, and I was in a reasonably quick car when I drove it.  Except the bus stop on the back straight, the rest of it just plain sucks.  Racing on the high banks sounds cool, but in reality, there is no skill involved in driving around the cereal bowl at the speeds we run there. 

Watkins Glen on the other hand is freaking awesome, and it was just repaved earlier this year.  It's a bucket list track for sure.  I've been three times and I want to go back.  I'd put it ahead of Barber as far as the actual track configuration.

We are planning to add RA and NCM next year since they are spread out enough that we can afford to go to them in both money and time.

Captain

No more Chump for us, at least not until we get a faster car, and probably not after that either. WRL is doing Road America, which is near where my wife grew up, so she could come along and visit her sister. And that race falls nicely between the Barber and CMP races, so I don't have to miss any Lemons races or THSCC events.

These are all great suggestion.  We will have to look into them,  running in Chump car sounds interesting.  I would love to run a real 24H race, I know they have a few, but I am not sure when/where they are.

rmcdaniels wrote:

No more Chump for us, at least not until we get a faster car, and probably not after that either. WRL is doing Road America, which is near where my wife grew up, so she could come along and visit her sister. And that race falls nicely between the Barber and CMP races, so I don't have to miss any Lemons races or THSCC events.

No Chump for us either, but I have a seat in two other cars, so I'll run their stuff instead and keep our fenders.

Captain

mully006 wrote:

I would love to run a real 24H race

Everyone should do one, although with just 4 people, it's always brutal for us. We always end it wondering why we signed up for that kind of torture, but after a year we're ready to do it again. We used to run the annual 24-hour August race at VIR with Chump, but it got too crashy a few times, and they didn't crack down on it, so we really can't recommend that one. We haven't found another one yet, but we'll keep looking.