Topic: When to arrive at Sonoma?

We did the Arse Freeze race at Sonoma last year and got there pretty early on Friday morning.  The paddock was filled by the time we go therey and it looked like folks had been there a while.  My question is when do you need to get there to be anywhere near the track entry?   Do folks literally line up on Friday morning early and then get in when the track opens?  Can you go late on Thursday night?

Re: When to arrive at Sonoma?

People start lining up around noon on Thursday.   The gate folks will direct you to one of the remote parking lots, high above the paddock, while they get things cleaned up and ready for Lemons.   About 4pm (plus or minus an hour) they will let people come down to the paddock.   Everyone has their own idea of what is a "prime" spot, so it is a bit scattered at that point.   People will be arriving all night long, so you may wake up Friday morning to to a *lot* more cars, tents, and campers than you saw Thursday evening.

You may think that being near track entry is important, but there are many other things to consider.   Being near track exit can reduce the time it takes to tow your heap to your paddock spot.   Proximity to the gas pumps may speed your fueling.   Being way back behind the grandstands will greatly shorten the walk to some prime viewing spots on the hill.   There are lots of restrooms under the grandstands.   You should consider all of this, and more.

Remember, the paddock spaces immediately opposite the garages are reserved for the teams renting a garage.   This is because you cannot do fueling inside or immediately outside the garages.   Garages must be bid for, so the higher your bid, the better your choice.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Re: When to arrive at Sonoma?

Thanks!  Very useful insight.