26 (edited by lingoslinger 2016-12-15 04:17 PM)

Re: Retreat from Moscow 2017, who is going? and in what?

Just got the thumbs-up from my co-driver in the inaugural rally to participate. We will return with the 2002 VW Jetta TDI (my daily driver) that got us through the last one. Replacing shocks and struts that were trashed thoroughly in Death Valley, and adding a set of Blizzaks to the mix. The cracked windshield stays until spring. If I get advance notice, I'll bring enough Diesel Purge for all the oil burners this time. Looking forward to another great event!

- Allan

My choice of vehicle for the rally is back up in the air. When  was telling my father about the rally, he suggested that I take his old wagon (87 Ford LTD stationwagon) that has been sitting in the yard and not running for 4-5 years. He is confident the running issue was in the distributor and has one from a running car ready to swap in. It would be a much cushier ride, with a lot more room for passengers, tools, spares, etc.(and sleeping in if need be). Then, I went and bought a Bradley GT2 body that needs a beetle pan/ drivetrain/ etc. I am going today to see my air-cooled VW friend to see if assembling this car with an almost zero budget in a month and a half is even remotely doable (and maybe try to convince him to run the rally in one of his buggies). The original plan of running the Paseo is still an option as well. I should probably decide soon and get prepping one of them as none of them have run in months (or years).

fiasco wrote:

i'm about ready to donate this thing to NH Public Radio, unless you can give me a compelling reason to sign the title over to you!

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5875291906.html

I think I'm into that for parts. Unfortunately I don't think I can collect it before the rally.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

been reading here and there. Now I tempted to partake in the fun. either by hitching a ride or taking my daily 1995 Audi 90 for the ride.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

I just signed up, don't know if my team is coming with me or not. I'm driving my Dodge diesel, towing the Gremlin [if it's done} on a jankie tow dolly with mag wheels.

It Ain't My Fault

Still don't have a fuel system or rear suspension in the car but I've lined up the keg.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

The 1976 Ford LTD Wagon now known as "LTDeez Nuts" is coming. Just picked it up from a CL seller in York, PA for $900. My buddy Jason lives in Glen Rock, PA and we're heading out from there. The 400 ci 8:1 compression V8 is gonna dominate. Factory tow package. Dead hooker storage under the floor in the back. It's so long and wide, it's a rolling version of your mom's dildo. See you shitapes there!

$150 paint job. Tractor supply Massey ferguson grey. $1 Walmart headlamp dome light.  http://i68.tinypic.com/2s9ta1w.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/fkp5bl.jpg

1973ish ford bronco - 3 speeds but none are fast.

EyeMWing wrote:
fiasco wrote:

i'm about ready to donate this thing to NH Public Radio, unless you can give me a compelling reason to sign the title over to you!

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5875291906.html

I think I'm into that for parts. Unfortunately I don't think I can collect it before the rally.

I just sold the skid plate off it. Turns out the coworker who picked it up informed me the buyer is a Lemons guy...an E36 CHEATURRRR from BAHSTUN. Apparently the skid plate is going on his DD Bajajajajaja.

El_Macho wrote:

The 1976 Ford LTD Wagon now known as "LTDeez Nuts" is coming. Just picked it up from a CL seller in York, PA for $900. My buddy Jason lives in Glen Rock, PA and we're heading out from there. The 400 ci 8:1 compression V8 is gonna dominate. Factory tow package. Dead hooker storage under the floor in the back. It's so long and wide, it's a rolling version of your mom's dildo. See you shitapes there!

A 70's wagon! How adorable and pedestrian!
smile

Your going to get a new pair of stepdads when your parents get an eyeful of what we're bringing.
tongue

That guy that likes the Oldsmobile Diesel for some reason.

badbadbenbernanke wrote:
El_Macho wrote:

A 70's wagon! How adorable and pedestrian!
smile

Your going to get a new pair of stepdads when your parents get an eyeful of what we're bringing.
tongue

Diesel-powered Cadillac Fleetwood stretch? I give up. That Eldorado made my brain hurt smile

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

I'm in with either a 1969 Dune Buggy or a 1978 Ford Fairmont. Dune buggy lacks any form of heat currently. Fairmont Lacks any sort of theme currently. Doing the rally on the way home from Rolex 24 in Daytona. Aztek remains on standby if the other two shitboxes fail to start! Heisenberg Lives!

Brian Gomez
2018 Great Lakes Mistake Dune Buggy Thing - 2018 Retreat from Moscow: 1979 Lemons Chevette - 2017 Retreat from Moscow: 1978 Ford Fairmont Futura - 2016 Hell On Wheels Car Weeeeeaaaaaaaakkkk: 2003 Pontiac Aztek Breaking Bad!

briangomez wrote:

I'm in with either a 1969 Dune Buggy or a 1978 Ford Fairmont. Dune buggy lacks any form of heat currently. Fairmont Lacks any sort of theme currently. Doing the rally on the way home from Rolex 24 in Daytona. Aztek remains on standby if the other two shitboxes fail to start! Heisenberg Lives!

1978 Fairmont is a theme unto itself.

1973ish ford bronco - 3 speeds but none are fast.

If I can get enough overtime to pay for the trip, I will be bringing Rosie the Fifty Dollar Car. What kind of car can you get for fifty bucks? Admittedly not much of one. But I managed to score a 1993 Geo Prizm for that low price. It had bad brakes, and a misdiagnosed clutch issue (Funny thing, that slave cylinder requires fluid to actually operate the clutch) and a severe case of ugly (its a weird rose/brown/pearl/missing clearcoat/rust color)
After replacing 2 master cylinders, 1 proportioning valve, and finally rotors and brake pads the problem finally was found: 2 bad slider pins. On the bright side, I can now replace a Prizm master cylinder in my sleep!
Car left me stranded once, coil took a crap on me. So what better car to take on an epic road trip than a beater you know absolutely nothing about?

I'll do a quick oil change, tune up, and possibly a set of ball joints.

Whats the worst that could happen??

Hope to see everyone there!
Mark

Got out of work early today, plugged a new fuel pump relay in to the 88 LTD wagon to find that the coil was cracked and won't run when there is any humidity. A little wire dry temporarily solved that and we dragged it out of the rut it was sunk into. Got it jacked up and found the brake line leak that made the pedal so spongy, a leak in the back side of the fuel tank and the back of the muffler is completely missing along with part of the tail pipe. Noticed the leaking power steering line last night.
So I am going to replace the ps line and rear brake line, patch the fuel tank, and remove the remnants of the tailpipe and I'll be ready to meet you all in Pennsyltucky.

Should I change all my struts, or just the one that's drooping.....

Also, UPS uniforms maybe involved at some point.

jimmystikx wrote:

Should I change all my struts, or just the one that's drooping.....

Also, UPS uniforms maybe involved at some point.

I would go for just the one, but that is the same decision making that made me replace all but 2 of the hard brake lines on my rally wagon today and one of the two is blown now. Every time i replaced one, the next one would blow out until i ran out of brakeline, there are only 2- 12" pieces left now so I am giving up and replacing both tomorrow...

We are driving the Fairlane from my house outside Savannah, GA to the rally, running the entire thing, and then racing it at Barber, after which I will drive it back to my house.  Google maps shows the direct route at a bit over 2900 miles, not including the race miles.
I tell you this not to boast, but in the spirit of pilots filing flight plans: so that you know where to start looking for debris when I don't show up.

Team Fairlylame
HumidiTT '14 IOE Winner

Sanctimoniously wrote:

I am running the Retreat with a friend and future Lemons race teammate in my daily driver 2005 Buick LeSabre Limited. Sounds boring, but neither of us were particularly keen in trying to fix a hella-broke-ass hooptie in the parking lot of an AutoZone in Intercourse, PA at 2:00 AM in the middle of a snowstorm or a cold wave, so we're sticking with the (theoretically) much more reliable choice. We'll be starting our race planning at some point before the Retreat.

Counterpoint: the Amish can wrench, yo.

aaronmichorn wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:

Pennsylvania actually inexplicably gets a lot of really good beer. It also produces a lot of it. Same with NY. The rest of the trip will be a bit of a wasteland, AFAIK.

We'll be dedicating a bit of our wagon's space to dragging along home brew and aome other choice good shit.

Asheville is pretty loaded with breweries.  It is kind of an upper class hippie retreat/retirement/artsy town.  It has really grown up in the past 10 years. 

Breweries:
Wicked Weed Brewing - 91 Biltmore St, Asheville
Burial Beer Co. - 40 Collier Ave, Asheville
Sweeten Creek Brewing - 1127 Sweeten Creek Rd, Asheville
Green Man Brewery - 23 Buxton Avenue, Asheville
Hi-Wire Brewing - 197 Hilliard Ave, Asheville
Highland Brewing - 12 Old Charlotte Hwy., Suite 200, Asheville
UpCountry Brewing Co. - 1042 Haywood Rd, Asheville
Wedge Brewing Company - 125B Roberts Street, Asheville
OysterHouse Brewing Company - 625 Haywood Rd, Asheville
Bhramari Brewhouse - 101 S Lexington Ave, Asheville
Asheville Brewing Company - 73 Coxe Avenue, Asheville
French Broad Brewing Co. - 101-D Fairview Road, Asheville
Twin Leaf Brewery - 144 Coxe Ave, Asheville
Asheville Pizza and Brewing Co. - 675 Merrimon Avenue, Asheville
Cedric's Tavern / Biltmore Brewing Co. - 1 Lodge St, Asheville
One World Brewing - 10 Patton Ave, Asheville
The LAB (Lexington Avenue Brewery) - 39 N Lexington Ave, Asheville

If we're not stopping at a brewery every night of this trip as the official rally endpoint, COCO WILL BE SAD.

And oh yes, Coco's Vengeance Tour starts here with the appropriate car.

kakarot1232001 wrote:

been reading here and there. Now I tempted to partake in the fun. either by hitching a ride or taking my daily 1995 Audi 90 for the ride.

<3 I love Audi 90s. Do it do it do it do it.

So...I have a bit of a problem. I made a snap purchase of a newer car, while much nicer and more fun to drive, is distinctly more average and definitely insufficiently hooptie to run the Retreat. Now my local friend and person who I've been trying to goad into doing this whole Lemons thing with me, and with whom we were going to to the Retreat in his 89 Dakota, has now had to bow out for work reasons.

So now what do I do? The responsible adult thing would probably be to bow out of the Retreat myself and continue saving up for an A&D in the coming season. But the other half of me can definitely come up with half of $425 and a few extra bucks for bedding and brews, and can totally come up with a reasonable excuse to take a week off work and school to ride around in some hooptie in the middle of winter. I can also supply the team mascot.

Wanna start in the middle of nowhere in Canada with a ride not legal for US import? If the Niva's motor mounts ever show up so I can put it back together. The 522,000km Comanche that did the first rally is around as backup too I guess.
My co-pilot also bowed out for work reasons. I'm not registered yet either, pretty big expense for one person. Maybe even for two on a student's budget.

Sanctimoniously wrote:

So...I have a bit of a problem. I made a snap purchase of a newer car, while much nicer and more fun to drive, is distinctly more average and definitely insufficiently hooptie to run the Retreat. Now my local friend and person who I've been trying to goad into doing this whole Lemons thing with me, and with whom we were going to to the Retreat in his 89 Dakota, has now had to bow out for work reasons.

So now what do I do? The responsible adult thing would probably be to bow out of the Retreat myself and continue saving up for an A&D in the coming season. But the other half of me can definitely come up with half of $425 and a few extra bucks for bedding and brews, and can totally come up with a reasonable excuse to take a week off work and school to ride around in some hooptie in the middle of winter. I can also supply the team mascot.

I am 10000% pro-irresponsibility. Surely someone wants to be a butt in a seat.

I will be showing up in my Reconstruction Titled Passat (flood). It has some dents, damage, and scratches, but I'm pretty sure I'll be starting this rally in the negative area for points.