Topic: wheel disconnect

Afternoon everyone,

Just wandered if any of you have suggestions for a steering wheel disconnect, some of my team myself included would benefit from the extra room to get out of the car. I suppose a few less burgers would help too, but this gives me an excuse to drool over parts. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: wheel disconnect

We have a "Strange Engineering" weld on disconnect, great quality and only goes on one way

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/str-q1000

Using this http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminum- … 29178.html and reasonably happy.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

I've used them, both cheap-o and expensive, for over 20 years without a Dale junior moment or any other issues. 

Like anything else, practice, practice, practice.....

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

5 (edited by Mike98036 2016-12-24 04:34 PM)

I've used NRG Innovations QD hubs on both cars we've built; they are inexpensive, easy to install, easy to use, and they only lock in in one position, so your wheel is always aligned.

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

adamspn wrote:

We have a "Strange Engineering" weld on disconnect, great quality and only goes on one way

Second the Strange. Virtually no slop and indexed so the wheel is always in the same place.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I have used a few you do want a good one with no slop and a indexed one for shore. we have one that is not indexed and I hate it.
Bob Mann
DRVOLKS

Guildenstern wrote:
adamspn wrote:

Second the Strange. Virtually no slop and indexed so the wheel is always in the same place.

We use a JEGS unit.   

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance- … 2/10002/-1

They have both universal, saginaw, and Ford steering shaft versions .

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

I recommend the collar style over the remove-the-pin style.
I had the latter installed in my car, and had noticed some of my teammates struggle with the pin with their driving gloves on.  I thought it was no big deal until I caught the car on fire while welding on the driver footwell (from the outside).  I had to remove the wheel in order to get my spray bottle in the right position to douse the flames, and trying to remove the pin with my welding gloves on, in a panic did not work well.  After that I decided that the few extra dollars for the collar type was a good investment. (Also, better welding practices were a good investment.)

We just installed a unit similar to the Jeg's part described above.  My only suggestion is to go with the splined-style vs. a hex-style.  Both designs will have some slop (compared to a stock mount) but the splined-style will have less slop.

I also strongly 2nd the full-collar style vs. a single pin....MUCH easier to use.

I used an NRG quick disconnect and steering wheel, it's a bit more expensive than the cheap stuff, but it's worth it. I couldn't find a Porsche adapter so I just modded one of their other adapters to bolt to the Porsche 3-bolt hub stub.  Highly recommended if you have to take the wheel off to exit the car - very easy to pop on and off and it doesn't wobble like some of the other quick-release steering wheels I've seen (an important consideration, actually).

K Car Stalker

Tekniq snap off is my favorite of the bunch. No slop, obviously on or not, consistent wheel alignment, but requires 2 hands to remove.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

firegremlin wrote:

I couldn't find a Porsche adapter...

The only one I could find is the one made by Momo.  It was expensive, took for ever to arrive, and still had to be modified in order to work with the NRG hub.

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

just an update, found that sparco's e36 adapter works, it would have worked way easier if we hadn't molested the splines.