Topic: Removable panel to access distributor from cabin?

OK, so I actually did a search and found a thread talking about this topic, but didn't see an answer or solution.

Our new engine is pushed back against the firewall, to the point where access to the distributor comes in two flavors:
1) Pull the engine
2) Access from inside the car

With the sealed firewall rule (a good rule), is it possible to make a removable panel for access and still be safe?  Van's have a dog house, and that's the concept we are thinking about.

With proper sheet metal gauge, and a gasket as a seal, using bolts w/ weld nuts, or other removable fastening methods what's the thoughts? 

There's no question we want to be safe, and if it's not safe it's not being done.  But we also are looking for guidance and insight before we proceed with a plan.  I know the rules have a link to Phil for residual value, but I've missed the link to submit tech inspection questions somewhere so I'm starting here.

Thanks as always.

Statically Indeterminate: #58 '95 Purple S-10 (Flyin' Purple People Eater)
2014: Gingerman x 2 | 2015: Gingerman, Autobahn (24 Hours!) | 2016 Gingerman (April) | 2017 Gingerman (April)

Re: Removable panel to access distributor from cabin?

We had access panels on the firewall before. Speedy's airplane has the driver sitting on such a lid, so you should be fine, as long as there's a seal and adequate mounting. An access panel for fuel tank/pump (like in a '91 Sentra), cut out with surrounding metal and then welded over your firewall hole would probably be the best way to do it - I can't imagine anyone arguing against a panel that's literally designed to keep an exploding fuel tank's innards from entering the cabin.

K Car Stalker

Re: Removable panel to access distributor from cabin?

The primary reason for wanting to seal the firewall is that the car's interior is a low pressure area and fire will be sucked towards that low pressure.  Fire is more likely than explosion so whatever you do you want to make as airtight as possible to make anyplace other than where you sit the low pressure area.  Stick a flashlight on the backside, if you can see light, fire will come through.  Think of an acetylene torch.  When it's just burning on gas, the flame is nice and calm.  Push oxygen in and things start to get exciting.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)