Topic: Hoods on mid-motor cars

IF there's no engine when you lift the hood, do we need to have a metal one, or can a purely cosmetic non-firewall-y one work? Surely somebody tried to run a tarp instead of a hood by now.

K Car Stalker

Re: Hoods on mid-motor cars

Needs to be an OE hood for crash structure reasons.

Re: Hoods on mid-motor cars

The rules are pretty damn clear on this one......

3.J.2 Fenders, Doors, and Hoods Required. All cars must have fenders at all wheels so that no tire surface extends past the body; all doors in place; and OE hoods. Hoods must be securely mounted by OE hardware and/or strong fasteners at all corners.

14 Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: Hoods on mid-motor cars

rlchv70 wrote:

Needs to be an OE hood for crash structure reasons.

It doesn't change the need to have an OE hood per the rules, but I'm fairly sure the reason isn't crash structure.  Even in completely OE configuration, the hoods on most of the older crap cans running in this series (Think 1990's Japanese econobox) are about as structural as the baseball cap I'm wearing. 

Besides, how many teams out there are running a gutted piece of sheet metal, the remnants of a supposedly "OE" hood, held down in 4 places with a chrome-plated piece of potmetal churned out of some Shenzhen sweatshop and secured by a Harbor Freight cotter pin?

2008- 2010:  1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
2010-present:  1975 Ford LTD Landau...doesn't have a name?

Re: Hoods on mid-motor cars

mechimike wrote:
rlchv70 wrote:

Needs to be an OE hood for crash structure reasons.

It doesn't change the need to have an OE hood per the rules, but I'm fairly sure the reason isn't crash structure.  Even in completely OE configuration, the hoods on most of the older crap cans running in this series (Think 1990's Japanese econobox) are about as structural as the baseball cap I'm wearing. 

Besides, how many teams out there are running a gutted piece of sheet metal, the remnants of a supposedly "OE" hood, held down in 4 places with a chrome-plated piece of potmetal churned out of some Shenzhen sweatshop and secured by a Harbor Freight cotter pin?

I think the OE hoods provide more crash structure than you think. They are also designed to collapse rather than remaining a rigid decapitation device.

Re: Hoods on mid-motor cars

mechimike wrote:

...most of the older crap cans running in this series (Think 1990's Japanese econobox)...

A '90s car strikes me as among the newer crap cans running in this series.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP

Re: Hoods on mid-motor cars

The hood DOES NOT need to retain the sub-structure.  Gut the hood until it is just a piece of metal, then use racing pins on all 4 corners and you'll be ok. We use 5 on ours,,,

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Re: Hoods on mid-motor cars

mharrell wrote:
mechimike wrote:

...most of the older crap cans running in this series (Think 1990's Japanese econobox)...

A '90s car strikes me as among the newer crap cans running in this series.

Well, sure, if you go by our .sig files.  ;-)

2008- 2010:  1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
2010-present:  1975 Ford LTD Landau...doesn't have a name?