Topic: Plinth box for rear stays?

Anyone ever used plinth blocks for the rear spreader plates? I had a friend ask me about it and I have no idea if this would be acceptable. Just curious what you all think.
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n613/cabinboy63/received_102114368453721101.jpeg
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n613/cabinboy63/received_102114370570174011.jpeg

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Re: Plinth box for rear stays?

I can't see why it would be an issue. You can use them everywhere else. Make sure you use the required 1/8" thickness plate.

However for extra piece of mind I'd have that lower piece also be a bent piece that runs up the vertical surface. That's how I built the boxes for the Saab.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/saab%20build/20160921_221901.jpg

14 Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

However for extra piece of mind I'd have that lower piece also be a bent piece that runs up the vertical surface. That's how I built the boxes for the Saab.

That's what I told him. My main concern was that I've never seen it done before.

As always if you're really concerned ask Jay/Pagel. But I don't think they'll have a problem with this.

14 Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I have rear plinths in my car.  No issues with tech.  I think they are perfectly acceptable.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra

Looks good.
You won't gain any suspension stiffness, though.
Unless they're over a subframe mount. Tied to your
upper strut mount area helps stiffen them.

Also, how is you angle? Is it close to the required approx. 45 degrees?

Capt. Delinquent Racing
TRUMPACO XR4Ti (We've arrived!! Now if I could make it go faster than 65 mph.)
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31, w/Improved Smokiness (now in rehab)
2008 AMP Survivor, 2008 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

DelinquentRacer wrote:

Looks good.
You won't gain any suspension stiffness, though.
Unless they're over a subframe mount. Tied to your
upper strut mount area helps stiffen them.

Also, how is you angle? Is it close to the required approx. 45 degrees?

I have no idea. Not my car. I was just asking for a friend.

They have to be totally boxed,  front, back all around, welded 360 degrees  with no burn through and be at least 1/8" thick

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'