Topic: Oil Pans

What types of pans are you guys running? Is there a big hit for aftermarket pans...or modifying yours?

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Re: Oil Pans

I suppose it's one of those things that's viewed in total with the rest of the car.  If it's got all kinds of speed mods all over the thing and they look underneath to see a custom oil pan, then I would imagine all that goes into their deliberations.  If you run something that is known to be iffy for a lot of reasons besides oil starvation (MR2 comes to mind) and you weld in your own baffle but the rest of the car is reasonable, I doubt it ever comes up.  I know of at least one car that has a dry sump system but it doesn't get grief because it absolutely won't live without it and the rest of the car is crap.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

3 (edited by Mr.Yuck 2017-04-04 11:29 AM)

cheseroo wrote:

I suppose it's one of those things that's viewed in total with the rest of the car.  If it's got all kinds of speed mods all over the thing and they look underneath to see a custom oil pan, then I would imagine all that goes into their deliberations.  If you run something that is known to be iffy for a lot of reasons besides oil starvation (MR2 comes to mind) and you weld in your own baffle but the rest of the car is reasonable, I doubt it ever comes up.  I know of at least one car that has a dry sump system but it doesn't get grief because it absolutely won't live without it and the rest of the car is crap.

84 Trans Am with stockish 305. We race in another 500 point league, pans are 25... I was afraid of the $ for $ thing here. Guess we'll get out the welder and make some mods... or maybe buy a good one and bring a case of beer and lay it under the engine.

IMO, if you weld up something yourself it should be no penalty on that car, or really any car.  If you weld up your own and someone in Chump protests you for it, I'd question a lot of other things outside of whether it was worth welding your own pan.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Mr. Yuck- How would you modify your pan? 

Our first race with the F-Body we spun the bearings due in part we think to oil starvation and the crystal meth guy we bought it from.  We got some tips from other teams and now run a 40 oil and slightly overfill it to prevent starvation.  Since, we've run two races with no issues.  However, the fear is still there in the back of my mind.  You run a 305, so there are more options than in our 3.8.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

On our 2.3L Ford pan, I added baffles to the sides to help keep the oil from climbing during a turn.
I also added a baffle toward the back of the pan to keep oil from moving backward under accel, though that is less important as it's not a drag car. We also run an extra quart.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

meyers0150 wrote:

Mr. Yuck- How would you modify your pan? 

Our first race with the F-Body we spun the bearings due in part we think to oil starvation and the crystal meth guy we bought it from.  We got some tips from other teams and now run a 40 oil and slightly overfill it to prevent starvation.  Since, we've run two races with no issues.  However, the fear is still there in the back of my mind.  You run a 305, so there are more options than in our 3.8.

well for the other league you'd just buy a pan with trap doors and such.  You'd just have to do the fab work yourself. and run a windage tray. We also spun a bearing at the NJ race last year. Probably because the entire back side was raced in 3rd gear and the car had 160k on it.  We also run a big oil cooler and remote filter that takes a big FL1A. with the filter, cooler and lines we figure the pan holds about 7qts.

I've modified a few pans for Lemons engines and most times all it requires is a few "dams" welded into the pan to keep oil in the sump under cornering, braking and acceleration. Running an extra quart always helps too! Since Lemons cars can't use "Sticky" tires cornering "G's" are lower then most other forms of racing so the oil can't travel up the side of an oil pan but on the other hand the cars lean more then in other forms of racing so it doesn't hurt to do something.

IF your good with metal fab you can make your own hinge pan baffle like pictured here: http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pan-b … -p-38.html

I picked up a few similar to these a few years ago up at the EAA convention for a couple of bucks each!

jimbbski wrote:

I've modified a few pans for Lemons engines and most times all it requires is a few "dams" welded into the pan to keep oil in the sump under cornering, braking and acceleration. Running an extra quart always helps too! Since Lemons cars can't use "Sticky" tires cornering "G's" are lower then most other forms of racing so the oil can't travel up the side of an oil pan but on the other hand the cars lean more then in other forms of racing so it doesn't hurt to do something.

IF your good with metal fab you can make your own hinge pan baffle like pictured here: http://www.improvedracing.com/oil-pan-b … -p-38.html

I picked up a few similar to these a few years ago up at the EAA convention for a couple of bucks each!

no stickey tires? 190 tread wear isn't too bad. I'll check the link...

Here's another consideration:
* After running the engine with an extra quart for the first few races with our 302/V8 (6qt vs 5qt), I found a deal from a guy who cuts and welds stock pans to create a cheap, extra deep 7qt pan. I even went through the trouble to notch and reinforce our subframe to allow this pan to fit.

* In my particular car, going "wider" with extra oil pan bulges wouldn't work because of the position of the starter and exhaust manifold. YMMV so here are some options that IIRC Fish introduced me to:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Blo … ,3512.html
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Oil-Pan-B … ,1763.html

The problem I found is that with the extra deep non-stock pan, I had to drop the subframe a bit to get the engine in/out of the car. We found that this added significant extra time to any engine swap (race-day or otherwise) so the next time that engine came out of the car, we swapped out that eBay oil pan, sold it for a slight loss, and installed the original pan back on.

-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

gunn wrote:

Here's another consideration:
* After running the engine with an extra quart for the first few races with our 302/V8 (6qt vs 5qt), I found a deal from a guy who cuts and welds stock pans to create a cheap, extra deep 7qt pan. I even went through the trouble to notch and reinforce our subframe to allow this pan to fit.

* In my particular car, going "wider" with extra oil pan bulges wouldn't work because of the position of the starter and exhaust manifold. YMMV so here are some options that IIRC Fish introduced me to:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Small-Blo … ,3512.html
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Oil-Pan-B … ,1763.html

The problem I found is that with the extra deep non-stock pan, I had to drop the subframe a bit to get the engine in/out of the car. We found that this added significant extra time to any engine swap (race-day or otherwise) so the next time that engine came out of the car, we swapped out that eBay oil pan, sold it for a slight loss, and installed the original pan back on.

-g

Thanks looking at the 1st link. Pretty much what we had in mind.