Topic: WTB: mopar 8-3/4" rear

In need of a Mopar eight and three-quarter rear. Don't need the entire rear just need the gear. Our car currently has a 355 gear welded into a posi. Want to swap that out for non-posi

Re: WTB: mopar 8-3/4" rear

SloppyJalopy wrote:

In need of a Mopar eight and three-quarter rear. Don't need the entire rear just need the gear. Our car currently has a 355 gear welded into a posi. Want to swap that out for non-posi

what gear are you looking for? I have friends with tons of Mopar parts I can ask. Why do you want a non-sure grip? "peg-legs" suck for racing. FWIW a good 8.75 "chunk" sure-grip is going to run $375-500. Check Moparts.com

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

I know your location is in some of your other posts, but you might want to add it to your profile as well. That'll let people know if they're close to you at a glance.

Command Pilot/Flight Director, Escape Velocity Racing
Index of Effluency, Heroic Fix, Class C Trophy, now hopelessly gunning for Class B.
Currently 1-2 vs. Team Fairlylame in the Class of 1964 Championships

West Chester pa

What gear do you want and you want an "open" unit right?

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

I have a 2.76 gear, open, from a 8-3/4 I built a while ago.  I swapped the 2.76 for a 3.23.  Sold the car, still have this stupid center chunk.  Make me an offer and come get it.  I'm in zip 21158.

2008- 2010:  1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
2010-present:  1975 Ford LTD Landau...doesn't have a name?

Case is a 741 it's currently a 355. But the previous owner welded some of the gears inside together to make it a full posi. It's difficult to even more around the driveway let  alone Rae lol. This isn't a drag race nor a drift event lol

Honestly, I would just leave the welded diff in. Plenty of teams race that way.

It's only a problem in the paddock and in the rain.

From your other posts you've got lots of challenges ahead of you to get your car on track for the first race. This would be the last thing I'd worry about.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

I think my case is a 489...the "good" one.  If you're interested let me know.  I work in Baltimore so could potentially bring it there if that's closer for you.

Welded diffs make the car push.  We run a clutch-type posi (Ford 9") in our Lemons car- best of both worlds.

If you think The welded diff will be OK then we will just run the welded gift for this race. It is our first race. I wasn't even sure if the welded diff would do it or if we would just be drifting around all the turns or if the rear diff will just Explode in 10 laps lol

I agree you should probably focus on other stuff and leave the diff for now, but picking up that "chunk" from mechimike might still be a good idea. That way you can swap it at the track if the previous owner turns out to suck at welding.

Command Pilot/Flight Director, Escape Velocity Racing
Index of Effluency, Heroic Fix, Class C Trophy, now hopelessly gunning for Class B.
Currently 1-2 vs. Team Fairlylame in the Class of 1964 Championships

The welding job in there is terrible. Looks like a chunk of meteorite or something. I swear there's half a arc stick stuck to the giant globs in there somewhere. Yes that's a good idea.

Maybe a job for sat nigh over night for a couple hours

SpaceFrank wrote:

I agree you should probably focus on other stuff and leave the diff for now, but picking up that "chunk" from mechimike might still be a good idea. That way you can swap it at the track *when* the previous owner turns out to suck at welding.

QFT.  We run a Ford 9" in our LTD, and we managed to blow that up.  Luckily, we'd brought a spare chunk.  Same type of rear end.  So we swapped it.

We're terrible at racing, but at least we bring spares.

Update: checked the 8-3/4 chunk I have and it's actually a 3.23 ratio.  I verified by spinning the pinion and counting revolutions- about 3 -1/4 turns of the pinion for each turn of the large gear. 

Still looking to "rehome" it, so maybe we can work something out.

Are you going to njmp?

No, we're done racing for the year.  But there might be other Baltimore area teams who might be going.  What's your team name?

Team Sputnik is going to NJ.  I'll give them the chunk and you can get it from them.  You can't miss them- just ask around for where the team of crazy Russians is. 

$200 sound fair?