Topic: Welding to universal radiators

Totally not related to a Lemons car, however, a friend asked if I'd help him with mounting a universal aluminum radiator in his car. He wants to simply weld on some aluminum bars (I think they're 1/8" thick and 1-1/5" wide strips). His plan was then to drill the appropriate holes to match stock mounting.

Questions for the Lemons hive mind. I've heard some people say that welding to aluminum radiators cause weak points that will fail next time you get the engine a little too hot. I'm sure the truth here depends on your welding skill. However, anyone seen any truth to this?

Other things I've heard (and I believe this more), if you hard mount (like it sounds he wants to), you'll transfer stress from the shifting chassis to the radiator. So there needs to be isolation of some sort. At a minimum rubber bushings, or, avoid welding to the radiator altogether and just weld up some upper and lower cradles. Again thoughts?

Probably over thinking again.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: Welding to universal radiators

You want to mount the radiator on isolators.  This is to isolate if from vibration and fatigue damage over time. 

Not a welding expert, but I believe aluminum is fairly forgiving when welded to.

I've heard more than one person claim that chinese "aluminum" ain't so aluminum when it comes to welding.

They're obviously welded together at the tanks. So something must work.

I may just be spreading fake news, but thought it was worth posting anyway.

Thankfully this friend is known for using decent parts, not the cheapest he can find. So i'm hoping it's not a crap part.

I'm going to make sure he's leaving the isolators in. I might suggest we just make an upper and lower cradle to avoid any risks of welding to the actual radiator though.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I moved to a universal aluminum rad after my stock radiators proved inadequate for my car's V8. While I was going this route, I decided to have a bung welded to one of the end tanks above the radiator outlet for my coolant temp sensor. This cost me $20 when I brought it to a "real" welder who TIG welded the bung on.

The radiators themselves are mounted with steel brackets that I fabricated by bending and welding myself and then bolted onto the rad supports. THe bottom ones are u shaped and grab the bottom of the tank and the top ones are more L shaped to hold the rad against the top support. I glued some material from my wife's old yoga pad to offer some cushion on the supports brackets and between the radiator and the frame support so it's not just aluminum vibrating/stressing against steel brackets.

To me, this seemed like a better idea (and within my fabrication skills) than welding an aluminum tab on the radiator.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

gunn wrote:

...my wife's old yoga pad to offer some cushion on the supports brackets...

Closed cell shelf liner is also a good cushioning material. Both yoga pad and shelf liner have been employed here at the Automotive Performance Labs.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

Update. Attacked the radiator last night. It was a large Griffin universal. He was smart enough to retain the old isolators. We ended up building a lower cradle that would sit in the stock rubber mounts and then the radiator would sit in that. For the upper we welded on two pieces of flat to reach out to the stock bolt locations and would use the stock rubber grommet pieces.

Welding to the radiator wasn't too bad. Was scared about blowing though, but I never came close. Does make a huge difference when you clean it properly though (duh).

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

I hope you 4043 filler rod when welding to the rad.
5356 is not recommended when the service temp is over 150F.
Ask me how I found out.