Topic: Camping at Thompson - Experience?

The Missus and I are thinking about a New England vacation this year, to coincide with the race at Thompson in August.  We have a small pop-up camper, two kids, and possibly our dog that will all be in tow. The wife would prefer to camp at the track, that way if stuff comes up and she needs to retire to the camper with the kids she can do so easily.  And also, so we can crash at the camper after the racing and drinking.
However, it doesn't look like there's much space at the track (and I think they may not allow dogs, at any rate).

She would also prefer for the camping area to be away from where the pit/ paddock area is, so it's a bit quieter and safer. 

What have everyone's experiences been at Thompson from camping there?

I see there's a few campgrounds in the area, too, which would be better for everything except being walkable (nearest one is ~5 miles away).

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Re: Camping at Thompson - Experience?

Paddock B has a lot of room and is where most of the campers and RV's end up. Try to get there early because it fills up pretty quick. There are no electrical hook ups that i'm aware of.

http://www.scda1.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/thompson-speedway.jpg

Nuthin' but a Z Thang -  1976 Datsun 280Z

There are NO electrical hookups in any paddock areas. The only electrical outlets are in the garages.

Paddock area "A" is not very large and its all asphalt. Most of area "A" is parking for teams that are renting garages. Paddock area "B" is is much larger; its mostly asphalt, with some grass area on the edges. There is also a narrow strip of grass along the road between the two paddock areas. However, all of these areas are still "paddock", so you're still in the middle of everything in these areas. Everything is pretty well packed together, no wide open spaces here.

There is also an "event" camping area, that is to the south of the main straight, and accessible from the main entrance area (not really shown on the map above). This area is isolated from the pits and paddock (and sounds like what you are looking for), but I'm not sure if this is open during Lemons weekends or not.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

Yeah, if there were camping just south of the dog leg (by the main entrance) or up near the clubhouse restaurant that would be ideal.  Anyone know if those areas were open to Lemons last year?  How about if 4 legged friends are allowed there?

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

That grey parking lot area just south of the clubhouse restaurant is a dirt lot. Can't imagine they'd be opposed to setting up there, but not a bad idea to ask. The on site showers are in the strip of buildings to the left of the old oval.

Their number is 860-923-2280, I'm sure they'd be able to confirm anything we're speculating. Honestly can't remember if I've seen dogs before.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I called the track, but the person I talked to "didn't know" if the event camping areas would be open during the Lemons weekend. Someone was supposed to call me back, but that hasn't happened yet.

We camped at the track in 2015 and 2016, but we just pitched a tent in our paddock space. I can't remember if the remote areas were open or not.

Look at the satellite view of the track: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9815945 … a=!3m1!1e3
It clearly shows campers setup in the event area, as well as all along the road that goes from the main gate to the overpass. There are also lots of rigs in the parking lot near the clubhouse.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)