Topic: GM Passkey II-- can it be ELIMINATED?

Can the whole passkey II / VATS system be eliminated? Is it a separate security-type relay that can be jumper wired, or is it actually part of the whole ecu box thingie?  We've installed a resistor of the proper value to eliminate a faulty ignition key pickup and still no good.

Verified that there is a 5v signal to the wires without the key in ignition and without the resistor connected yet.

We could periodically get it to crank, and the passkey light to go off, but there didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for it. It would just happen all on it's own. And then stop cranking. It seems random, but perhaps if someone can give me a pattern to look for I can be better equipped to check for proper sequence and operation.

It's a 96 fleetwood, super super low miles so sitting most of it's life.

Could a bad fuel pump be backfeeding power and screwing things up? Fuel pump seems to be confirmed bad because the red test wire does nothing to it. Full tank of what smells like varnish. Plan is to either drain/drop tank or maybe just cut an access hatch in the trunk like the firebird guys do.

2 (edited by addict#52 2017-06-14 07:50 PM)

Re: GM Passkey II-- can it be ELIMINATED?

Second hand knowledge, but from what I hear from some circle track guys with 96+ stuff there's either wires to cut or reconfigure the ECU to remove it. Supposed vids on YouTube to do it for said era cavilers

We have had the passkey bypassed in the ECU for two of our cars that run GM motors (TR7 with 01 Buick 3800 SC and Hombre has 03 S10 4.3). Both were part of sending the ECU out to be reflashed, which was easy and pretty cheap.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

Sinister Performance LLC.
web site, www.gmtuners.com
email, spl@gmtuners.com

It Ain't My Fault

^
|
|

he's the expert on those

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

Thank you for the link!

Offline I've gotten the suggestion to try this as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-VATS-or-PASS … 1813159375