Topic: Zello cellphone app instead of radios?

For those using the Zello app what are you using for headsets and harnesses? I've tried adapting my NASCAR harness over to a cellphone jack but I can't get my PTT button on the steering wheel to work. If i click the talk button on my android phone and use the PTT button on the wheel at the same time then everything works great.

Nuthin' but a Z Thang -  1976 Datsun 280Z

Re: Zello cellphone app instead of radios?

I just use a regular set of headphones.  Depending on the phone you have the headphone can be picky.  i have an iphone 7 so i have to use an adapter, not all adapters work.

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

With my Samsung I had to use a CTIA to OMTP adapter plus a Vertex radio harness adapter to make everything match up. Without those the wiring is all wrong and nothing works. I'm thinking it might be the type of mic or the mic resistance which is not allowing the app to recognize the PTT button.

Nuthin' but a Z Thang -  1976 Datsun 280Z

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-New-C … Swi0RX1klD

Is this the one?

I would like to investigate using my LG with my NASCAR set......

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

We used Zello at NJMP last race and liked it.  I also have a Samsung too.  I just used regular headphones with a microphone and bought a Bluetooth PTT for $30 off of Amazon.  That PTT required the CODA app which was free.  Took a little while to figure out how to sync everything correctly, but works flawlessly for a $30 investment.  I do recommend every driver gets their own PTT button so it is already synced to their phone.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

My PTT is called the CODA wheel and I may have actually ordered it through Zello.  They have a bunch of comparable options.

Team Glue Sticks
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Anyone used this at CMP?  It looks like it needs cell/ data reception to work.  I know cell service down there in the boonies of South Kackalacki can be spotty.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

mechimike wrote:

Anyone used this at CMP?  It looks like it needs cell/ data reception to work.  I know cell service down there in the boonies of South Kackalacki can be spotty.

Depends on the carrier.  If you have AT&T/Sprint you probably don't have service at CMP.   I have Verizon, and it's fine _at_ CMP, but a mile or two down the road toward Camden, no signal at all.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
mechimike wrote:

Depends on the carrier.  If you have AT&T/Sprint you probably don't have service at CMP.   I have Verizon, and it's fine _at_ CMP, but a mile or two down the road toward Camden, no signal at all.

Yeah, I have Verizon, and have always had service in the Paddock, but not sure if it would actually work on the track, for this.  Teammates with Sprint/ATT have always complained of little to no service at the track.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

I've found you don't need great service,  but found I need some.  There is a delay of a couple seconds with transmissions and better service reduces this delay.

Team Glue Sticks

I made an NASCAR to smartphone adapter for my friend's kids to use while carting.

I have not seen an impedance issue with the mics I tried.

There's no PTT, it just turns the helmet into into a headset.

A PTT could be added to open and close the mic circuit in phone mode. I have never played with Zello to know how that works. It's somewhere on the list of things to experiment with.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z