Re: THE PEOPLE'S CURSE RAN!!!!!

FreeRange wrote:
davebs14 wrote:

why does the ad at the top of this page show 2 virtual chicks making out? Am I supposed to be virtually aroused? LOL

They are google feedback ad's... i.e. they only show what they think you like..

I think you should be asking yourself what OTHER sites has your computer been to lately?  Google is not dumb smile

Why is my ad for "How to raise chickens?"

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:
FreeRange wrote:
davebs14 wrote:

why does the ad at the top of this page show 2 virtual chicks making out? Am I supposed to be virtually aroused? LOL

They are google feedback ad's... i.e. they only show what they think you like..

I think you should be asking yourself what OTHER sites has your computer been to lately?  Google is not dumb smile

Why is my ad for "How to raise chickens?"

I don't even want to begin to assess that.. what you do in your spare time is your own business smile

If there was a gentleman's agreement between Jay and the team, it sounds like they didn't stick around long enough to see whether or not he would honor it. I am sure Jay would have found some way to make it work. Not all curses end with crushed cars.

I would love to have witnessed them rushing back to their paddock and furiously packing up and skipping town. Must have been an interesting sight.

And if they were cheating, Jay should claim the car and pick it apart. If they're spec racers, it would have been all too easy and all too tempting for them to build it as such and try to hide it.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

RobL wrote:

The rules actually do allow for a deal like that:  1.1: Organizer Decisions: Organizer's decisions are final. If you don't like it, tough. Get your own race.

Of course. But there only needs to be a "decision" when there is a question about the rules, or if there is something not addressed in the rules. In this case, the rules are clear. If Jay wants to change the rules, that is certainly his right, but I doubt he would change them in the middle of a race, rather than simply change them after the race, for all future races. A safety issue might be an exception.

I would submit that keeping the People in charge of the curse eliminates realistic accusations of repeatedly targeting specific teams, since different groups will have voted each time. If it becomes an Organizer's Curse, it seems like it would be much easier to make the claim that somebody has it out for you. Also, the Organizers don't see the bad driving, the People do and they know the truth (not making a specific accusation in this case).

Finally, a reminder that in this case, the Organizer's decision WAS to allow the People's Curse, per the rules (though maybe they wouldn't have been "crushed").

Jay?

Team Unintended Acceleration
Gator-O-Rama: 2009
Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas: 2008, 2009, 2010

It's really simple: don't bring a car you're not prepared to lose. Completely.

Even if you don't get the curse, there are a ton of ways beyond your control that your car could bite the dust.

People really need to think of this as the racing equivalent of Kids Under 6 Soccer/T-Ball/Whatever.

Do you really want to be the dad on the sideline screaming about a penalty?

This doesn't preclude you from actually being good/fast. Take a look at the FrakenMiata/Miatallac team. Those guys are super-fast, but they get it. They're friendly and take their theme as seriously as their chassis.

Like it says, "don't like it? Get your own race".

There are those who call me...Judge Tim
Previously: Der Uberbird! BMW 633CSi
"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

56 (edited by Jer 2009-06-08 01:54 PM)

If our Citation gets the curse at Stafford, I will probably be cheering along with the rest after trying to herd that thing around the track.  "Hit it again!"  tongue

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

FYI, it was Jay I believe that got on the intercom and let people know they skipped out on the curse.... if Jay made the agreement, he sure made it sound like he didn't...

E30's should all go up in flames...

Jer wrote:

If our Citation gets the curse at Stafford, I will probably be cheering along with the rest after trying to herd that thing around the track.  "Hit it again!"  tongue

I agree... as much as I wouldn't want to see our blood sweat and tears get crushed, I will probably be laughing harder than anyone else at it being ripped in half should it god forbid happen.  If you gotta go down, best to go in a blaze of glory.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

The agreement was that it wouldn't be crushed.  I seem to remeber seeing pictures of a crown vic that got the curse and was not destroyed, in fact it was back on the track an hour or so after the curse - minus some doors and other body parts with probably made it faster, but if an agreement was made I'm sure they could have damaged the car enough to keep it in the pits long enough to keep them out of the winners circle but not total the car or even keep it from finish the race. But packing up and running they'll never know.

Also if you brought 2 miata's that were setup pretty much the same way and got the curse did you really think that the 3rd one was going to be different.  If anything it seems Lemons is being incredibly consitant on this.  They have to come to terms with the fact that either there is something about the car or the drivers that doesn't work well with the rest of the teams and maybe they should work on fixing that.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Mulry wrote:

I can't wait to hear what Condren has to say about this. It could be an all-caps rant even.

I think John is getting sick of the forums... Either that, or he is secretly scared of the crap i'll give him for his post?

Question for everyone.......does anyone wanna have a laugh about this? Maybe we can make a vinyl decal for Lemons racers to put on their cars......

Any suggestions for slogans? smile

David Hedderick
Houston, TX
1986 325ese Shitbox Lemons car (sold...blowed up)
1990 miata drift car...like the BMW only slower and with a twisted chassis :\

As being an operator of the People's curse and Ryan the other .

Jay is the Godfather here he tells what extent of the damage to do just like the Mafai .

2nd AMP  camaro was going to get a little banged up but when it pulled in paddock did a brakestand and Jay said kill it .

another AMP the BMW was beatup and they got her back on track .

At Thunderhill The Mazadasaurus had been running into everyone at that race and one before and pushed it into the Excavator
So Jay wanted to Prove a point and we killed that one  and there we go .

DON'T SIGN UP IF YOU WANT DEMO DERBY GO TO THE FAIR NOT Lemons

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

once again, props to the barbie miata. those guys ran a legit miata. the black one pulled 5-10 car lengths on all the cars out there on the front straight. there is your proof.

It's a Miata, get him........

Even SPEC Miatas are only so fast.  A good SPEC Miata has a whopping 120hp.

Yes, the Miata was fast and so were plenty of other cars.  Some of our driver's have had fun with the all 3 cursed Miatas from those guys.  They are quick but there have still been faster cars on the track.

Personally, I don't like the curse.  Maybe it has been necessary before but the Februay race in Houston and this on in New Orleans seemed pretty clean to me. 

Sure people make mistakes but I didn't see repeated, bad behavior.  I earned my penalties for bad behavior. 

I'd really like to know about this "deal" over the curse.  I heard about this at the track too.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

Even SPEC Miatas are only so fast.  A good SPEC Miata has a whopping 120hp.

Preach on brotha

Im not saying they were not cheating but there is nothing internal to magically make a 1.6 or 1.8 Miata fast in a straight line.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

Well here's my response to this. While I am NOT a fan of the people's curse where the car gets destroyed, I wouldn't mind that particular car be banned and require to be put on the trailer just like what happened. The whole reason I haven't built a Lemons car myself is the fear of it getting crushed as well. I put a lot of time and money into my street cars AND racecars and no matter what way you slice it, there's going to be blood sweat and tears doing anything involving racing on a budget.

The miata driver was very good. I ran with and passed him back and forth with our best laps on Saturday. I ran our best saturday with a 1:33.3 AND our best Sunday on borrowed tires to a 1:32.7. This is in a REAL Lemons car the 45 light blue 1979 280z car. Yeah, it needs a quart of oil with every refuel. The fuel filter plugged with rust TWICE too. I stuffed that miata in traffic repeatedly and he found a way out MANY times and got back around for the pass. I knew they had a very fast car and that they were sandbagging hard after that session since he could get back around after only a handful more turns. I'm a local and have run hundreds of laps on this track and while he and I were both driving very aggressively, we were being cordial and fair in traffic. I am known to be a very good driver and I can attest, whoever was in the black miata in hour two of saturday was damn fine behind the wheel.

BUT my problem lies here -- I picked up the paper and found 5 miatas for sale locally. NO miatas for $500.00. Actually out of the 5 in there, the cheapest one is $2200.00 and has 147k miles on it! I'm not saying they aren't out there, but this team has magically found 3 of them!! This black one is actually a good looking car (hadn't been wrecked from what I could see) - why would anyone unload a perfectly running driving miata (that didn't smoke at all) for $500? That's where the people's curse steps in.

As far as prep, Miata's sure can go 1:30.2 with good street tires, gutted, and 1 cut coil off the springs - I actually buy that. On top of that the timing can be bumped, and all the other free mods were done, but with his skill level and only that prep it is Definitely possible. It also didn't have to make weight like spec miatas do - he could potentially be FASTER than a spec car in this case. Again, I ONLY question the initial purchase price of the car.

Now someone keeps defending this pink car, but it sure was fast as well, it just wasn't piloted as well.

I personally, feel that there should be some kind of ban on the miatas in this series. It's the ultimate weapon in most budget racing series'. RWD, super light, good power, GREAT handling, cheap to find...but I'd say NO LEMON.

My thoughts,
Patrick Harris

Here we go again with the "Ain't No Such Thang As Cheap Miatas"...

Guys, with all due respect, get a grip. The truth is that cheap Miatas out there, you just need to spend the tiniest amount of time looking for them.

On the old yahoo groups, I used to post up the <$500 Miatas I'd run across. With minimal effort, I'd find at least one a week, sometimes more. I gave up posting after about three weeks, figuring people got the point. I guess not.

Early Miatas are going on 20 years old. TWENTY. They're old. Funny to imagine that they're reaching that age where they're considered a classic car.

And it's not like driving a Miata means you automatically win the race. There have been Miatas in the majority of Lemons races I've done (six races now) and rarely do you see them in the top ten.

Here's another tidbit: They have tractor motors. You can spend thousands on a full intake/header/exhaust on a Miata, bump the timing and sprinkle Chuck Norris' tears on the head and you will gain maybe 10 hp up high and lose midrange torque. Until you give them forced induction, they just don't respond to breathing mods.

harrisracing wrote:

The whole reason I haven't built a Lemons car myself is the fear of it getting crushed as well.

There is a 1 in 100 chance of your car getting crushed..and even then, Jay typically doesnt CRUSH a car unless it REALLY deserves it.  Grow a set

harrisracing wrote:

I picked up the paper and found 5 miatas for sale locally. NO miatas for $500.00. Actually out of the 5 in there, the cheapest one is $2200.00 and has 147k miles on it!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1202648892.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1204386421.html

Half of the fun of this series is FINDING the car!  Diamond in the rough.  Ask the Frankenmiata guys how to find a Miata for $500 bucks... Answer:  Buy two wrecked ones and weld them together.  THAT is Lemons to me

harrisracing wrote:

I personally, feel that there should be some kind of ban on the miatas in this series. It's the ultimate weapon in most budget racing series'. RWD, super light, good power, GREAT handling, cheap to find...but I'd say NO LEMON.

Historically, the Miata actually isn't the dominating car in Lemons.  Should we ban any car that has ever won?  BAN Geo Metros!

One wonders how it "just passed smog test" if it "needs new engine" lol

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

"Historically, the Miata actually isn't the dominating car in Lemons.  Should we ban any car that has ever won?  BAN Geo Metros!"

Speaking of Geo Metros...  It's clear from our last race that even fast cars can do poorly and slow car can do well.  A Lemons win is a mixture of luck and skill.  The car just has to be competent and after that it's about not breaking it and not getting PENALTIES.  All this other muckety muck about Miata this and Miata that is just silly.  Cars don't win races, teams do.  I never thought the curse was for the biggest cheaters.  I thought it was for the biggest jerks.  If those guys want to pick up there marbles and go home it's their prerogative, they just don't get to come back and play in Jay's sandbox again.  No biggie, there are plenty of fools to take their place.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

FreeRange wrote:

Half of the fun of this series is FINDING the car!  Diamond in the rough.  Ask the Frankenmiata guys how to find a Miata for $500 bucks... Answer:  Buy two wrecked ones and weld them together.  THAT is Lemons to me

That would be Lemons to me too if the math didn't add up to $1400 for 2 Miatas.  I just don't see putting those together and selling the scraps off for $900.

I don't have a problem with Miatas, fast lap times, or over budget cars.  But People's choice is the "people's" choice.  You just have to live with it.  If you win/lose the People's Choice 2 times, then you might want to rethink your strategy for the 3rd.  I personally voted for Jihad for blasting the Jihad theme music at 4am and my jealousy of their plush accommodations.  Best case scenario for me would have been the Miata to leave town and Jihad get crushed.

I don't mind the people's curse.  Its a democratic vote.

If a Miata speeds pass me like I'm standing still and the trailer they are carrying has "Spec Miata" written all over it.....guess what.

I will vote for it everytime.    If they had some balls they would enter in a crappy "non" Miata car and see how well they do then.

Piece out,
Murph
Team ETL (is there a part we haven't blown?!)

harrisracing wrote:

Now someone keeps defending this pink car, but it sure was fast as well, it just wasn't piloted as well.

My thoughts,
Patrick Harris

We were looking on craigslist for an engine for our Mx6 that kept blowing turbo motors when we stumbled on a couple of wrecked miatas in the parts section. They are out there, and pretty easy to find. Ours was a project of a kid and he gave us the parts he had already gotten to put the car back together.

You can say ban Miatas, but really, why? After runing a total of 9 hours at two houston races, we wanted to log some laps. THe miata did that for us, and aside from a couple very rookie mistakes by ROOKIES (read: non-spec miata builders and racers with years - hell any - of experience) we were able to take the car out and have fun. We KNEW we werent going to win, our goal was to see the checkered flag. The guys with the #2 black miata even gave us a hand tuning ours, and we were able to pick up a set of good used brake pads after scorching ours from them. I didnt vote for them to get crushed, we voted for the Jihad team that woke us up playing that stupid music at 3am.

I personally think that it goes down to the fact that they are super fast as a team. You ride around the racetrack and they go by time after time while you are giving it your all, it doesnt make you smile. It doesnt help that they have no decorations  or even a theme, or that they arent openly sociable. Wrap that package together, you might see the crusher time and time again.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

bob-e wrote:
FreeRange wrote:

That would be Lemons to me too if the math didn't add up to $1400 for 2 Miatas.  I just don't see putting those together and selling the scraps off for $900.

First, go here and read each page: http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t25699/

Then--consider the blue basket case Miata that we bought for $200. We sold $1800 worth of parts off that pile. Paid for our cage right there.

Enjoyed the excitement of Cajun Jihad.........wanted to rip the speakers off an hour after the race started.