Topic: Video of turn 1 at NPR?

anyone have an in-car or a spectators view of turn 1?
I'd like ot see how many people were able to go flat out thru turn 1.

I'd also like to see how bad our car looked going thru there.

It's a Miata, get him........

Re: Video of turn 1 at NPR?

I watched over there for a while.  Looked like a bunch were flat out.  I went through it flat out a few times in 4th gear, but decided that it really wasn't worth it because if a slower car was ahead our brakes wouldn't have been able to slow the car down in time and I was using all the track.  The fastest car I saw go through there was the rusted E30.  Looked well over 100 to my eyeballs.  I saw the black Miata go through there while I was in car and it may have been even faster.  The front straight up to the 180 deg right was a friggin blast to drive.

After I was told how to drive it, I was flat out thru turn 1 in the 33 SHO. 100mph no problem. The car was rock solid thru there. The other 2 SHO's said they were doing 100 also.

sergio wrote:

After I was told how to drive it, I was flat out thru turn 1 in the 33 SHO. 100mph no problem. The car was rock solid thru there. The other 2 SHO's said they were doing 100 also.

yeah, I followed you thru it a few times. I kept hoping you would lift going thru so I could get past you guys. That car was fast.

One of the best cas out there to go heads up with our car.  They seemed pretty evenly matched up as far as I could tell. I was in the #59 black BMW with flames on the bottom.

I know at least 2 of our drivers on Team Racecar (Black/White 240sx) were going flatout. Myself and Ryan Pope were about 85-95mph (no speedo) in 5th through #1. We simply didn't have the straight line speed to keep up with the SHO's or some of the BMWs.

#76 TWSS Racing

well our speedo was broken, but we have a 3.15 rear diff and we were topping out 4th gear at the end of the straight into turn 1.

Turn 1 was flat out for us as well, but I'm not sure we even have 90hp.  Approaching turn in at 80, maybe 82 miles an hour.

Dirty Some Beaches // Lemoncello Racing // Blue Oval Cult Racing

weaksauce is a ballsy driver.  I was waiting for him to take his truck out there flat-out through turn 1 smile

Serious Business Motorsports
'84 BMW 325e. 
Official...ish BP Raceteam of the North Dallas Hooptie.

We had the White 4-door Civic and I was able to take turn one at around 96mph if i got out of 14 reasonably well.  Our speedo works and our tires were very near stock sized.  That was short shifting at 5200 in 4th to 5th.  If I had wanted to spin the motor all the way in 4th I am guessing I could have run 102-105 into 1.  I was hitting the brakes at well over 100 mph after the end of the next short stretch.

Going into turn 2 was a bit hairy once or twice when I did well coming out of turn 14. If I waited too long to downshift and apply brakes, I wound up doing so going into that bump/uneven track and the rear end wanted to step out. I'm quite pleased they did not put a chicane in the straight...I have a feeling there would have been MORE incidents. I think the open track gave people more room to seperate themselves and the straight helped the faster cars stay clear of the slow traffic. Props to those involved in the decision Friday afternoon/night!

#76 TWSS Racing

weaksauce wrote:
sergio wrote:

yeah, I followed you thru it a few times. I kept hoping you would lift going thru so I could get past you guys. That car was fast.

One of the best cas out there to go heads up with our car.  They seemed pretty evenly matched up as far as I could tell. I was in the #59 black BMW with flames on the bottom.

Yeah, both the 59 and 93 were about the same as the SHO. I let you guys by at turn 4, then followed for a few laps til traffic held you up out of 14.  I went to the left passing you and the other traffic. It's a great track for the SHO with those 3 straights. MSR is too tight no room to wind it out.

How did your tires do? We didn't have enough negative camber on the front. Totally chewed up the outside of 3 tires by the end.

We were in the #94 E30. No working speedometer, but I usually kept it in 4th gear for more pull after Turn 1 (T1.5 to T2 was a great passing zone). Figure around 100mph or so. I tagged the rev limiter in 4th gear at the start/finish line (about 110mph). I usually didn't upshift into 5th unless I was doing a late pass on the straight. If I did that, I'd have to tap the brake to get into T1.

Benson Young, Team Nemesis #88, debuting at MSR 2011
Raced Hard, Raced Ugly, got the nickels, moving on...

bky wrote:

(T1.5 to T2 was a great passing zone).

I passed a LOOOT of people between T1 and T2.

#76 TWSS Racing

We were in the #88 Mirage and taking it flat out at 80-85 mph. There were a couple cars that could have done it but were on the brakes to get into the turn. I sat by T1 when not driving and was amazed at some of the cars that were slowing down to get into T1 without anyone in front of them.

15 (edited by weaksauce 2009-06-10 02:32 PM)

CajunJRacing2 wrote:

We were in the #88 Mirage and taking it flat out at 80-85 mph. There were a couple cars that could have done it but were on the brakes to get into the turn. I sat by T1 when not driving and was amazed at some of the cars that were slowing down to get into T1 without anyone in front of them.

yeah, the first day I was lifting for a second then back in it. The second day i just stayed in it.  According to the gear speed indicator online, our car in 4th gear has a 1:1 ratio, with a 3.15 diff and our 4500 RPM redline, we were seeing 112mph thru the 1st turn.  Of coarse as I became tired, I eventually lost it turning into 3 and looped the car into the grass.  But damn it was fun!

weaksauce wrote:
CajunJRacing2 wrote:

yeah, the first day I was lifting for a second then back in it. The second day i just stayed in it.  According to the gear speed indicator online, our car in 4th gear has a 1:1 ratio, with a 3.15 diff and our 4500 RPM redline, we were seeing 112mph thru the 1st turn.  Of coarse as I became tired, I eventually lost it turning into 3 and looped the car into the grass.  But damn it was fun!

I was flat out all the way from 14 through 1 in the Barbie Miata after I figured out I could. I would bounce the limiter in 4th and put it in 5th no clutch since it was getting warm by then. I *MAY* have hit 105, but that is a big maybe. It was fun though.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs