Topic: 89 toyota celics gts good or bad

Looking at one has 178k on it 5spd I think 4ag

Pros and Cons

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Re: 89 toyota celics gts good or bad

The 4AG engine is almost bullet proof and screams like a banshee.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

'89 Celica GTS isn't a 4AGE....maybe an (arguably better) 3SGE in 1989?

Solid, reliable, reasonably quick. Good Lemons choice, I'd say, with the exception of being a touch on the dull side.

fwd ftl

RobL wrote:

The 4AG engine is almost bullet proof and screams like a banshee.

The word Almost is correct, we were able to break ours at Reno during test and tune on Friday.
If your GTS is lucky to have one they are a lot of fun, and Rob is right they do have a great sound when you hook a cherry bomb to one end.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

http://images.craigslist.org/3n53m83l5ZZZZZZZZZ962c018e909dfaa1fa9.jpg

Why drive a FWD Celica when you could go with a RWD Starlet?

http://images.craigslist.org/3na3oc3paZZZZZZZZZ95p994c740c73461dfb.jpg

Or a RWD Maxima wagon?

http://images.craigslist.org/3n73o13ldZZZZZZZZZ96985b4b1c86ed41119.jpg

Or a '65 Datsun Roadster aka Fairlady aka SPL310 that's just begging for an innovative junkyard engine swap?

http://images.craigslist.org/3ka3m23l3ZZZZZZZZZ95eab3b23affc2511b3.jpg

Or maybe even a 500 buck Datsun 510?

This actually going to be a trackday car because most tracks are scared of my car and won't let me play in there reindeer games !!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

Cuz you NEED another car to put on the gigantic trailer? smile

I can't wait to see how many Smart cars I could fit on it.
67' feet of loading area .
Could probably get 6-7 MR2 on there especially if they have 2' cut off the front !!!

See my Avatar wink

Celica stopped the 3SGE (Great motor) in 88' if memory serves. the 89, like ours has the 3SFE slow-revving Camry/tractor motor. Celica lost its mojo until the very last Celica.

If you can get an 88 GT-S, you would be much better served. That said, its a solid performer without any tricks required and will put you in the hunt with a good team. We've been cursed with some bad luck at each race that cost us the race, or hours for repairs (blown motor, wreck, distributor failure), but otherwise would be a top 10 car.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

MurileeMartin wrote:

http://images.craigslist.org/3n53m83l5Z … aa1fa9.jpg

Why drive a FWD Celica when you could go with a RWD Starlet?

I'd love to run a starlet! My mom had one. In 10 years here, I've never seen a starlet. You guys are so lucky in California! Out here in the midwest, we don't have near the selection you do, but with a bit of looking there is stuff out there.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

My mom had an 88 GTS that eventually was handed down to me. Loved that car. I'd jump on it for a lemon. All of the first gen MR2, and Corolla FX16 Lemons share that 4AGE engine, so a ton of parts show up at the races.

I also might have found an ALL_TRAC Turbo in a field by a meth lab !!

random_tox wrote:

My mom had an 88 GTS that eventually was handed down to me. Loved that car. I'd jump on it for a lemon. All of the first gen MR2, and Corolla FX16 Lemons share that 4AGE engine, so a ton of parts show up at the races.

'cept the Celica GT-S never came with the 4AGE, but its bigger 2.0l brother, the 3SGE...

PS, I road race (SCCA) a Corolla GT-S with the 4AGE, our Lemons team has a couple FX16's and a spare MR2  - definitely good little motors:)

Spinnetti wrote:

'cept the Celica GT-S never came with the 4AGE, but its bigger 2.0l brother, the 3SGE...

I didn't think so either until my pals from Knights Of The Round Track pulled one from a local junk yard Celica GTS (with evidence of a dealer done swap) and then I noticed it documented here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celica that some Japanese and general market AT160 Celicas got it.

dude if you showed with a celica alltrac i know of many angry people that would picket you for destruction of a rare car... on second thought if you can get an alltrac and get it running for under 500 bucks, bring it (it aint gonna happen ive got seven grand in the money pit i call mine)

No Budget Racing
Chief Instigator
1991 Ponticrap OnFirebird
Racing a Camaro/Firebird at Lemons is a box full of fail, thats why we do it.

random_tox wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

I didn't think so either until my pals from Knights Of The Round Track pulled one from a local junk yard Celica GTS (with evidence of a dealer done swap) and then I noticed it documented here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celica that some Japanese and general market AT160 Celicas got it.

Yeah, but I was talking about stuff sold in 'Merica.... My 1977 Celica didn't come with the 18RGU either, but I put it there from the JDM car wink Anywho, the 4age in the heavier Celica is weaksauce.... In general though, the Celica is a fine Lemons ride.. thats the key point, though I'd avoid any without the 20r, 22r or 3sge/3sgte

We like our little 4AGE powered FX-16 that even after we rolled it, we're still working on bring her back.  smile

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

What is the 20R capable of? My 80 Celica was choked off with a spaghetti of vacuum emissions controls, and only made 90 HP.  Seems like, with an unfettered 2.2 liters, it ought to have been capable of a lot more.

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Goto LC engineering they make 300hp 20r/22r

Voice Of Reason wrote:

dude if you showed with a celica alltrac i know of many angry people that would picket you for destruction of a rare car... on second thought if you can get an alltrac and get it running for under 500 bucks, bring it (it aint gonna happen ive got seven grand in the money pit i call mine)

There was a Celica Alltrac Turbo at Thill 08 that got penalty laps. They won't be BS penalized next time though: http://jalopnik.com/5126052/24-hours-of … -onslaught

My buddy rolled up to them if his Wheel chair and gave them shit (in a ratarded voice hitting himself )for making fun of the Handicap! Then he took a swig of his Jack Daniels bottle and put it in his custom JD cup holder on his chair   .

Classic

Or a '92 BMW 325i for $600!?!??!??!

http://images.craigslist.org/3k23mf3oaZZZZZZZZZ96g44e7d20c9b3b1574.jpg

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/ct … 66297.html

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Nooooooooo!!!!!!

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

I need to find a Geo and throw my northstar v8 in it