Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Oh why all this practical talk about fuel injection, slushboxes, hydrostatic propellers, and magnetohydrodynamic toronado chain drive flux capacitors?  BORING! 

Tell me about the Isetta that you're putting it in.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

RichVS wrote:

Oh why all this practical talk about fuel injection, slushboxes, hydrostatic propellers, and magnetohydrodynamic toronado chain drive flux capacitors?  BORING! 

Tell me about the Isetta that you're putting it in.

hehe, that would be quite a bit of fun to have it in an isetta. but the likely target right now is a Porsche 944. i'm going to measure one up next weekend and see if i can make it fit.

There are very few vehicles that are in the right price range and have a transmission in the rear. having a transmission in the rear will make this swap significantly easier.

I'd love to mid-mount it in a bug but the bug availability is significantly less than the Porsche availability.

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Marc wrote:
RichVS wrote:

Oh why all this practical talk about fuel injection, slushboxes, hydrostatic propellers, and magnetohydrodynamic toronado chain drive flux capacitors?  BORING! 

Tell me about the Isetta that you're putting it in.

hehe, that would be quite a bit of fun to have it in an isetta. but the likely target right now is a Porsche 944. i'm going to measure one up next weekend and see if i can make it fit.

There are very few vehicles that are in the right price range and have a transmission in the rear. having a transmission in the rear will make this swap significantly easier.

I'd love to mid-mount it in a bug but the bug availability is significantly less than the Porsche availability.

what about a squareback?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Baron wrote:

what about a squareback?

I want to stay away from collector's items. even though the judges said that they would not penalize a car with this motor because of the cost of the motor I otherwise want to stay as close to the budget/spirit as I can.

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Hmmm.  5 1-port Bosch CIS systems and the mother of all conjoined throttle cables?

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Marc wrote:

I want to stay away from collector's items. even though the judges said that they would not penalize a car with this motor because of the cost of the motor I otherwise want to stay as close to the budget/spirit as I can.

That's just crazy talk.  There are dirt cheap "classics" out there that are way beyond restoration and can be purchased/parted to keep it under budget

Please don't squander the opportunity to build one of the coolest hot wheels that ever was.

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2006/08/mini_haha.jpg

Team Bean seems to have some sort of supernatural dowsing ability to find cheap minis... talk to them?  You could probably use a Chevette in a pinch.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

57 (edited by Baron 2010-05-18 07:50 AM)

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Marc wrote:
Baron wrote:

what about a squareback?

I want to stay away from collector's items. even though the judges said that they would not penalize a car with this motor because of the cost of the motor I otherwise want to stay as close to the budget/spirit as I can.

The only collector's items in terms of old air cooled vw's are the ones that are either rare, completely restored or very low mile originals.

A rusty late square is not worth much, hell I have seen them given away plenty of times.
Check out the type 3 section of the Samba classifieds, there are 3-4 UNDER $500 offerings on the 1st page.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=9

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

58

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

the problem with being from the midwest is anything that hasn't been built in the last 20 years either has been kept in extremely good condition or has rusted away to nothing.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Your theme sir....
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/Gee_Bee_R-1.jpg/800px-Gee_Bee_R-1.jpg

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

what is that?

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Gee Bee racer.

"Compression ratio: 5.50:1"
This better be ghetto-charged to War Emergency Power.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Problem with any VW is getting the transmission to live with that torque.  No way any of the 112 (IIRC) or swingaxle transaxles will live very long with that engine in front of them, especially if you install the engine up front and flip the ring gear.

944 is definitely your best bet, though I still think we'll end up seeing the ring gear explode if the engine lasts long enough... big_smile

Only other thing might be a van, since it'd be tall enough and you could make it mid engine.

BTW, how much does this thing weigh?

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

rockwood wrote:

Problem with any VW is getting the transmission to live with that torque.  No way any of the 112 (IIRC) or swingaxle transaxles will live very long with that engine in front of them, especially if you install the engine up front and flip the ring gear.

944 is definitely your best bet, though I still think we'll end up seeing the ring gear explode if the engine lasts long enough... big_smile

Only other thing might be a van, since it'd be tall enough and you could make it mid engine.

BTW, how much does this thing weigh?

We don't have an exact weight but it's a little under 300lbs.

if the ring gear explodes, I'll wear it like a crown (after welding it back together)

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Can't wait to see one of these on track.  Good luck with it.  Of course youtube has a how to vid already there for ya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2V7B7-gdRA

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Marc wrote:
rockwood wrote:

Problem with any VW is getting the transmission to live with that torque.  No way any of the 112 (IIRC) or swingaxle transaxles will live very long with that engine in front of them, especially if you install the engine up front and flip the ring gear.

944 is definitely your best bet, though I still think we'll end up seeing the ring gear explode if the engine lasts long enough... big_smile

Only other thing might be a van, since it'd be tall enough and you could make it mid engine.

BTW, how much does this thing weigh?

We don't have an exact weight but it's a little under 300lbs.

if the ring gear explodes, I'll wear it like a crown (after welding it back together)

Damn, 300lbs isn't bad for that many inches. 

I guess the only important thing left to figure out is how to make your helmet look like the leather cap and goggles pilots used to wear...

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Wikipedia page for this engine, as mentioned by someone earlier:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinner_R-5

Specs on here say dry weight is 330 lbs.

I can't wait to see/hear this at Autobahn.

Eric Rood
LeMons Contributor for www.roadkill.com
"Like" my page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheRustyHub
Follow me on Twitter: @therustyhub

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

rockwood wrote:

Damn, 300lbs isn't bad for that many inches. 

I guess the only important thing left to figure out is how to make your helmet look like the leather cap and goggles pilots used to wear...

my wife rocks, she's already gotten me the leather cap, aviator goggles and even the white scarf to go with it.

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Seen at a local car show

http://ifgpf1.com/wik/images/c/c0/DSCN1963.jpg

http://ifgpf1.com/wik/images/5/5f/DSCN1962.jpg

Know any good airbrush artists?

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Just make sure to use helmet paint.  I think I saw somewhere that some paints will weaken the helmet.

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Needs updraft carbs!

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Judge Phil wrote:

Needs updraft carbs!

And Down-draft!

And side-draft!

And another side-draft!

And.. uh, draft at curious angles...?

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

And Down-draft!

And side-draft!

And another side-draft!

And.. uh, draft at curious angles...?

If only the makers of the Wonkavator made intake systems...

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

well, looks like a few cylinder liners will need to be refinished to eliminate a little surface rust. but after sitting for 2 days with transmission fluid in all the cylinders, the motor turns freely.

I've started disassembly and i don't think this motor was ever run more than a few minutes since it has been initially assembled. i doubt it was ever on a plane.

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

found on hooniverse.... http://hooniverse.com/blog/2010/05/18/r … inda-sexy/

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

RichVS wrote:
Marc wrote:

I want to stay away from collector's items. even though the judges said that they would not penalize a car with this motor because of the cost of the motor I otherwise want to stay as close to the budget/spirit as I can.

That's just crazy talk.  There are dirt cheap "classics" out there that are way beyond restoration and can be purchased/parted to keep it under budget

Please don't squander the opportunity to build one of the coolest hot wheels that ever was.

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resour … i_haha.jpg

Team Bean seems to have some sort of supernatural dowsing ability to find cheap minis... talk to them?  You could probably use a Chevette in a pinch.

Yea, not sure exactly why but I keep coming across some killer deals. I'm anticipating 4-5 minis at Buttonwillow 2010. Would be AWESOME to see miniHaha recreated.