Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

http://www.instablogsimages.com/1/2012/04/13/jet_powered_vw_beetle_image_title_jtosk.jpg

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

http://www.instablogsimages.com/1/2012/04/13/jet_powered_vw_beetle_image_title_jtosk.jpg

kinda except only 300HP and the exhaust will likely be directed upwards with without afterburner.

http://images.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/07/t-bucket11-700x468.jpg

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Marc wrote:

sorry, it's just not reliable enough. and besides, TURBOSHAFT!!!! (assuming i can get the blessing from the judges)

Good luck on getting that through Jay and company.  I'd love to see one on track.  We submitted a plan and questions for safety related issues to John and Jay about a year ago and it just died.  I suspect that was intentional.
We were planning on mating a surplus KC130 APU to an automatic tranny through a hydrostatic drive unit.  Noise, heat and high pressure hydraulic fluids were our primary concerns.  We designed for slow and safe and John wanted to think about it.  Since then the APU has moved on to a different project and the rolling shell was cut up for scrap value.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

Marc wrote:

kinda except only 300HP and the exhaust will likely be directed upwards with without afterburner.

No afterburner?!?!?!    Whimper.   sad

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

1,306 (edited by Evil Genius 2012-06-01 11:20 AM)

I didn't say no, (at least I think I didn't) 

What Jay and I want is a concise written/drawn plan addressing mounting, fuel storage,  plumbing, etc.   We will look at it and let you know...   Yes, the bar is high, but we haven't said 'NO'

-John

PS, this has been done before, for the electric car and some other builds.. We like unique cars and will work with you guys to get them in the race, IF THEY'RE SAFE.

solman244 wrote:
Marc wrote:

sorry, it's just not reliable enough. and besides, TURBOSHAFT!!!! (assuming i can get the blessing from the judges)

Good luck on getting that through Jay and company.  I'd love to see one on track.  We submitted a plan and questions for safety related issues to John and Jay about a year ago and it just died.  I suspect that was intentional.
We were planning on mating a surplus KC130 APU to an automatic tranny through a hydrostatic drive unit.  Noise, heat and high pressure hydraulic fluids were our primary concerns.  We designed for slow and safe and John wanted to think about it.  Since then the APU has moved on to a different project and the rolling shell was cut up for scrap value.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Evil Genius wrote:

I didn't say no, (at least I think I didn't) 

What Jay and I want is a concise written/drawn plan addressing mounting, fuel storage,  plumbing, etc.   We will look at it and let you know...   Yes, the bar is high, but we haven't said 'NO'

-John

PS, this has been done before, for the electric car and some other builds.. We like unique cars and will work with you guys to get them in the race, IF THEY'RE SAFE.

yup, i understand all that.

I'm sure having access to someone that can weld inconel properly will help getting this thing approved. but that's a discussion for another thread. I'll start that thread after the june race and put a link to it in here.

i finished the modifications for the bigger driveshaft and the better mounting on the goldwing box.

here's a compairaison shot between the 1310 and the 1350 joints. it's pretty significant:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0535.jpg

and here you can see how i mounted the shaft to the goldwing box. there's a relatively large area inside the box that isn't doing anything, i took the flange off and added a 1.5" x 16spline socket in there and then bolted the goldwing flange back on with it's modification. the driveshaft then slides in there.
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0536.jpg

i have to go get a small file tomorrow, mine are too big so i can tweak the splines slightly, but mostly i just need to do reassembly at this point.

1,309 (edited by Marc 2012-06-02 06:24 PM)

This evening was fun. 3 hours with a file and some dykem to get the 3000GT driveshaft spline perfected. the issue was that i am using the spline a bit further than spicer intended and it looks like the finish cutter wasn't programmed to go as far as the rough cutter. there was probably about 4-10thou too much that needed to be shaved off.

but anyways, the spline fits very nicely now. i threw on a bit of teflon grease since it's just steel on steel.

then, the good news is, it's all back together!
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0538.jpg

i just have to spend about another 30-40 minutes out there yet today to get the new oil lines bundled up with the rest of the wiring/plumbing so it does not vibrate into harm's way.

tomorrow i test fire since it's too late tonight and load it on the trailer.

(yes, that is an exon valdez sized spill underneath, i should have bought stock in an oil dry factory before starting this project)

Nothing like frantic last minute wrenching. Best of luck!!!

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Junkyard Dog wrote:

Nothing like frantic last minute wrenching. Best of luck!!!

last minute? heck, last time i showed up to the track with this i did not get the transmission in until sundown Friday night. this is *WAY* ahead of schedule smile

of course, i could still break something loading it on the trailer.

Hey, Marc:

I'll send you a message offline with my cell number.

If you end up needing something Saturday morning, give me a ring.  I'm planning on coming down with my son and will pass about eleventy-seven auto part shops on my way.

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

Racin_G73 wrote:

Hey, Marc:

I'll send you a message offline with my cell number.

If you end up needing something Saturday morning, give me a ring.  I'm planning on coming down with my son and will pass about eleventy-seven auto part shops on my way.

oh, i appreciate that! thanks

i just checked the weather and realized that i have a bit more work to do. I'm going to be sweating in the car if i don't get ventilation in there. the MR2's aren't known for flowing air well with just the windows down.

i just need to make some diverters to get some air inside the cabin and all should be good. it's not like i care about the extra drag they will add.

Marc wrote:

i just checked the weather and realized that i have a bit more work to do. I'm going to be sweating in the car if i don't get ventilation in there. the MR2's aren't known for flowing air well with just the windows down.

i just need to make some diverters to get some air inside the cabin and all should be good. it's not like i care about the extra drag they will add.

Should have kept the propeller smile

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Marc, I'll be up for the Joliet race next weekend. I'll bring an extra video camera and mount if you want so that you can have multiple videos of this in operation. Actually, I have 2 extras that I can bring with me, a GoPro and a Sony. Glass mount or cage mount for either/both. I know that Phil's bringing at least 1 camera but I figure for a project this exceptional, more video is better. Lemme know and I'll pack them. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

Marc, I'll be up for the Joliet race next weekend. I'll bring an extra video camera and mount if you want so that you can have multiple videos of this in operation. Actually, I have 2 extras that I can bring with me, a GoPro and a Sony. Glass mount or cage mount for either/both. I know that Phil's bringing at least 1 camera but I figure for a project this exceptional, more video is better. Lemme know and I'll pack them. Cheers.

everyone that wants to put cameras on this thing is encouraged to do so. i might request some of the footage though smile

i suggest using sticky mounts or roll cage mounts, this thing vibrates quite a bit. the roll cage is 1.75"

i'll be at the track on Thursday evening so you guys can have all Friday to mount whatever you want on it.

cleaned up the harnesses, still a bit of work to do there but i'll bring the stuff to the track with me to do that. also, i found out why cylinder #3 was misfiring and why my idle was 900RPM. it turns out the #3 throttle plate was out of sync and holding the 4 other ones open. i can now idle the motor smoothly down to about 280RPM but i settled on about 450RPM so it has some torque without giving it gas.

the new drivetrain has been tested and it's good enough for loading it on the trailer
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0540.jpg

I'm so stoked about this, i feel good about all the mechanics of it all. but that said, i could really use contact info if anyone up in chicago owns a machine shop with some manual machines i can use (or have someone else use) over the weekend if something goes wrong. also, access to a TIG welder would be fantastic.

Thanks everyone! we've finished the sprint in 1320 feet.... i mean posts. see you guys at the track!

Motorsports history is being made here. I hope everyone realizes this. (I'll contact the Smithsonian. wink )

m610 wrote:

Motorsports history is being made here. I hope everyone realizes this. (I'll contact the Smithsonian. wink )

they already have one there: http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/a … 0060083000

my shop is 35 minutes from the track if stuff that doesn't need a full machine shop breaks.

we'll be racing.....but I'll give you the garage code. Lol

1,322 (edited by Marc 2012-06-03 03:43 PM)

adamjabaay wrote:

my shop is 35 minutes from the track if stuff that doesn't need a full machine shop breaks.

we'll be racing.....but I'll give you the garage code. Lol

That's Awesome!

can i ask what's available there? the location is perfect and the big item more likely to be necessary than anything else is a TIG welder in case one of my fancy shaft welds break. I'll grab a few lengths of the fancy filler rod.

can you e-mail me your phone number so i can get a hold of you at the track?

1,323 (edited by adamjabaay 2012-06-03 04:36 PM)

we've got a lift, nice tig/mig/plasma cutter/random saws/grinders/etc.    No lathes....etc....but we build  lotta crap..lol

708 dash269dot5646

1,324 (edited by Marc 2012-06-03 04:19 PM)

adamjabaay wrote:

we've got a lift, nice tig/mig/plasma cutter/random saws/grinders/etc.    No lathes....etc....but we build  lotta crap..lol

oh that's perfect! if i need more than that, it likely can't be fixed in a few hours.

Saving the phone number right now. you just might be a life saver next weekend.  I'll throw some fancy alloy filler rod in the trailer so i have the stuff i'm used to working with.

No problem.  Ill have our orange /grey crx there.... and youll be seeing me. Cannot wait to hear this legend in real life.