Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

two spare goldwing boxes arrived last night.

the next thing on the list of questionable parts that may need replaced are the CV axle shafts. the joints on the ends are stock MKI MR2. CARDONE Part # 605028 I'll see if i can get one or two of these before the weekend.

the 3000GT box may also fail, but it's way too custom and there's no hope of fixing it if it goes.

Marc wrote:

the next thing on the list of questionable parts that may need replaced are the CV axle shafts. the joints on the ends are stock MKI MR2. CARDONE Part # 605028 I'll see if i can get one or two of these before the weekend.

the 3000GT box may also fail, but it's way too custom and there's no hope of fixing it if it goes.

I didn't have any luck with axles from Cardone for my MR2. They never had them in stock.

Had to finally bite the bullet and them from Toyota. Someone had put Camry axles in the car. They fit but were too long.

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:
Marc wrote:

I didn't have any luck with axles from Cardone for my MR2. They never had them in stock.

Had to finally bite the bullet and them from Toyota. Someone had put Camry axles in the car. They fit but were too long.

i just need the joints anyways. the shafts are a custom length already. which camry had the tripod bolted on inner joints like the MR2?

Marc wrote:
TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:
Marc wrote:

i just need the joints anyways. the shafts are a custom length already. which camry had the tripod bolted on inner joints like the MR2?

Late '90s with the V6 - 5spd. Used the same basic transmission as the MR2. They have the same ends but are about 1" too long.

If you were near by I still have one in perfect condition I could give ya.

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:
Marc wrote:

Marc, I'll check out back but I'm pretty sure I've got some spare MK1 axles. Lemme know what it is that you need from them -- I'm guessing the splined end that mates to the hub? -- and I'll see if I can get them stripped off and bring them with me. Just confirm for me what you need.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:
Marc wrote:

Marc, I'll check out back but I'm pretty sure I've got some spare MK1 axles. Lemme know what it is that you need from them -- I'm guessing the splined end that mates to the hub? -- and I'll see if I can get them stripped off and bring them with me. Just confirm for me what you need.

i just picked up a pair at the local parts store. but having extras is never a bad thing.

but you're coming to this race from texas? that's a bit of a long drive.

i'll likely just need the inner joints. the outers are designed for higher angularity.

Marc wrote:

i just picked up a pair at the local parts store. but having extras is never a bad thing.

but you're coming to this race from texas? that's a bit of a long drive.

i'll likely just need the inner joints. the outers are designed for higher angularity.

Ok, I'll check and see what I've got. I'm flying into MDW on Friday morning.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

for everyone that can't make it this weekend, i decided to see what i could do about giving everyone the best seat in the house. it's the 3rd person view go-pro mount!

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0545.jpg

hopefully it passes tech, but it's 4 bolts to remove if it does not. also i'll add a tether to it in case the glue fails.

I've been trying to talk a team into building one of those mounts for years! I'd also like to see a GoPro mount that uses a 20-foot vertical pole out of the roof, with the camera facing straight down: the You Are Here view!

Judge Phil wrote:

I've been trying to talk a team into building one of those mounts for years! I'd also like to see a GoPro mount that uses a 20-foot vertical pole out of the roof, with the camera facing straight down: the You Are Here view!

that was the other one i was thinking about today when i made this. but this setup could be loaded in the trailer so i figured it was easier.

we'll see how the footage turns out, i left extra space on the plate in case someone else wants to mount a rear facing one on the same mount.

That should be a great view with the motor right in front of it.  cant wait to see this one again!

Wisconsin Crap Racers #113 E36
I.O.E. Winners 2023 Gingerman
2016 and 2017 Cure for Gingivitis Champs!
30+ time Losers!

i just hope it's sturdy enough to keep judder to a viewable minimum.

i also hope the motor doesn't fail, making this camera somewhat irrelevant.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Love the camera angle, but how long before the lens is completely coated in oil from the exhaust?

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Love the camera angle, but how long before the lens is completely coated in oil from the exhaust?

it's on the pitting checklist: "clean camera lens"

also, i brought the equipment over to turn that go-pro into a live feed so we'll be able to see from the pits when it needs cleaned.

Marc wrote:

also, i brought the equipment over to turn that go-pro into a live feed so we'll be able to see from the pits when it needs cleaned.

How are you guys doing that? I'm trying to get that implemented on my car, but don't want to use cell networks. Just curious what you are using.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

1,341 (edited by Marc 2012-06-07 07:46 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:
Marc wrote:

How are you guys doing that? I'm trying to get that implemented on my car, but don't want to use cell networks. Just curious what you are using.

POV transmiters for DIY drones. it's not perfect, but it's good enough for this. our next upgrade will be a 50' antenna mast for the base station to be able to gain a few DB in received signal.

all in you'll be in for a couple hundreed dollars. but it makes the pits way more entertaining. there will be a frequency issue is too many teams use them though.

also, getting your amateur radio licence opens up higher transmit powers but after some trial and error the antenna location makes way more of a difference than power. the 100mW allowed by the FCC is enough with a tall antenna

Marc wrote:

POV transmiters for DIY drones. it's not perfect, but it's good enough for this. our next upgrade will be a 50' antenna mast for the base station to be able to gain a few DB in received signal.

all in you'll be in for a couple hundreed dollars. but it makes the pits way more entertaining. there will be a frequency issue is too many teams use them though.

also, getting your amateur radio licence opens up higher transmit powers but after some trial and error the antenna location makes way more of a difference than power. the 100mW allowed by the FCC is enough with a tall antenna

Awesome, thank you. There was only one other team in NH doing this, and they were on 5.8GHz, so we should be ok on 2.4GHz. I'm going the tall mast high gain antenna on a router path.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

1,343 (edited by Marc 2012-06-07 08:13 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:
Marc wrote:

Awesome, thank you. There was only one other team in NH doing this, and they were on 5.8GHz, so we should be ok on 2.4GHz. I'm going the tall mast high gain antenna on a router path.

oh, another tip. lower frequencies travel better through obstacles. the trade-off is a lower resolution signal. 900Mhz works better than 2.4.

psychoboy wrote:

Have you seen how good YouTube's image stabilization is these days? It's pretty amazing what it can do as long as it has some object to reference in the shot that is fairly static.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Marc wrote:

oh, another tip. lower frequencies travel better through obstacles. the trade-off is a lower resolution signal. 900Mhz works better than 2.4.

Yup. If i wasn't trying to use off the shelf router stuff i'd by using 900MHz.

Can't wait to see the video of this thing. I can no longer make it out unfortunately. Good luck, and i hope you get more than a handful of laps.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Parkwod60 wrote:
psychoboy wrote:

Have you seen how good YouTube's image stabilization is these days? It's pretty amazing what it can do as long as it has some object to reference in the shot that is fairly static.

nope. i've not uploaded squat to youtube in a couple years, and certainly nothing that was moving in the frame.

i figured stabilization would be built into the camera (within limits, of course), i never figured a hosting site like youtube would add another layer of processing.  good to know.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Marc, I'm not finding what I did with those MK1 axles. I thought I knew where they went, but they might have gone to the great scrapyard in the sky. Sorry.

But I will bring additional cameras. If you want to (and have time on your hands) and want to build Phil's eye in the sky mount, I have a Sony camcorder that mounts with a standard 1/4-20 bolt that would be perfect for that view that I'll pack in my kit.

See you tomorrow.

Marc wrote:

for everyone that can't make it this weekend, i decided to see what i could do about giving everyone the best seat in the house. it's the 3rd person view go-pro mount!

http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase2/IMG_0545.jpg

hopefully it passes tech, but it's 4 bolts to remove if it does not. also i'll add a tether to it in case the glue fails.

We did a mount like that for a car during the One Lap a few years back. The footage was awesome. Up till the mount broke.

You can see a clip of what it looked like in the middle of this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEQdj2gJ … ature=plcp

Parkwod60 wrote:
psychoboy wrote:

Does it automagically do that?  Or do you have to check a box or run your video through some trick?

A&D: 2011 Autobahn, 2012 Gingerman, 2012 Road America, 2012 Autobahn II, 2013 Gator-O-Rama (True 24!)
Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse Racing
2013 Chubba Cheddar Enduro - Organizer's Choice, 2014 Doing Time in Joliet
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SirJackieSte … urseRacing

1,350 (edited by Parkwod60 2012-06-08 11:28 PM)

psychoboy wrote:
Parkwod60 wrote:
psychoboy wrote:

nope. i've not uploaded squat to youtube in a couple years, and certainly nothing that was moving in the frame.

i figured stabilization would be built into the camera (within limits, of course), i never figured a hosting site like youtube would add another layer of processing.  good to know.

After you upload a video to YouTube these days it give you a few editing options. One of them is Image Stabilization (and another is exposure correction). What is does is zoom in the video a certain percentage (10%? or less, depending on how shaky it is) and blow it up. Then it finds something in the frame that is fairly constant and locks into it, moving the image to cut off a little at the edges.

I found a before and after - http://www.webpronews.com/youtube-image … ol-2011-03

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura