Topic: 5 point seat belt harness attachment points

I'm getting the 5-point seat belt harness from the Lemons store and need to know now many eye bolts to get.  I'm guessing that I only need 3 correct?  1 for each side and 1 for the middle belt.  The top two belts attach to the roll cage right?

Re: 5 point seat belt harness attachment points

You'll need two mounting locations for the shoulder belts and one for the submarine belt.  Make sure to mount your shoulder belt as close to horizontal as possible directly to the rollcage with large, grade 8 hardware.  The submarine belt should be vertical and mounted as securely as the shoulder belts.

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

Make sure to check if you need backing plates for any bolts that go through the floorpan too.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

CaptainRat wrote:

You'll need two mounting locations for the shoulder belts and one for the submarine belt.

I think you mean lap belts instead of shoulder belts. The shoulder belts are normally attached to teh cage.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:
CaptainRat wrote:

You'll need two mounting locations for the shoulder belts and one for the submarine belt.

I think you mean lap belts instead of shoulder belts. The shoulder belts are normally attached to teh cage.

That makes sense.  So it looks like I only need to get 3 eye hooks/washer setups, and 3 harness snap plates.

LTDScott wrote:
CaptainRat wrote:

That would be true if you looped the belts around the cage, but some people anchor the belts to the cage.  So actually, you would need 5 anchors for that configuration, or three if you loop the belts.

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

7 (edited by VKZ24 2009-07-08 05:58 AM)

CaptainRat wrote:

Make sure to mount your shoulder belt as close to horizontal as possible

Be careful here.  Mike is right that they should be as close to horizontal as possible, but  they can go as high as 5 degrees (toward vertical) max.  They CANNOT be lower than your shoulders!  If they are too low it can cause compression of the spine in a roll-over situation.

The reason I say be careful is that the horizontal member most use for their shoulder belts on the main hoop can be too low depending on the height of your drivers.  Ours was two low in the cage we bought for our E30 last year, so we added another bar on top of it to make sure the angle of the shoulder belts was correct.

Another safety related item that is overlooked is correct placement of the fire extinguisher.  Mount it somewhere you can EASILY reach it in case you need to use it.  Behind you on the diagonal of the main hoop is NOT a good place.  IMO, the optimal place is right beside you on the tranny tunnel.  You can reach it easily without even un-doing your harness.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Install the harness with Zip ties... don't worry they will hold!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners