Topic: Firewall question

I have a question of how much firewall/metal protection we will need with our new fuel and radiator setup for this year.
This is what the general setup will be like, tank is mounted, still need to build frame for radiator.
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs150.snc1/5573_101615122969_711217969_1996091_4545800_n.jpg

I was planning on putting metal firewall up to the horizontal tube on the cage, but above that I would really perfer to leave open for max visiblity.
I would also like to put a access cover over both the tank and radiator so that should effectly seal the driver from any major spillable or exploding radiator hose behind the backwall and under an upper cover.
Does that sound like an acceptable solution? Or if I wanted rear visiblity would I need to install a piece of Lexan for the upper part of the wall?

Re: Firewall question

WOW.  Where are you racing?  I'd like to see this when you're done with it.

We are the people your parents warned you about.

In a T-bone, couldn't you be cooked by your choice of method: grilled or steamed?

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

yum yum steamed steak

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!

Yes indeed we have been having that grilled/steamed conversation thus why we are asking some outsiders as to other posesible firewall ideas.

We sure hope we are going to be getting in for the Lamest Day @ Nelson race since it is the closest to us (less then an hour away). We ran last year at Toledo (2 Slow Racing: Flying Brick)

Our car was a rust bucket before, and took a bit more of a beating then we thought after the race was done. Gas tank needed relocated cause it honestly almost fell out last year after somebody gave us a love tap directly into the tank. This years mounting location and bracketry is much improved.
We are also trying to make a couple cage improvements mainly because the rear unibody was/is starting to fail.
As for in the main cabin area we are only planning on mounting the battery in passanger seat. We have a 2" EMT tube running as a firewall tube for the fuel, brake, and electrical to the back. And there is another 2" EMT that has out water lines running thru it that will also pass thru cabin (figured we should double wall that as we don't want to be sprayed with hot coolent if something does go bad)

Your idea is on track, you will want to put some kind of side protection along with the front and top. If your car was to flip on it's side the driver might end up swimming in a puddle of something nasty. Hence some side protection might be in order. IMO

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

I don't know, that looks a little scary to me. I mean, the fuel cell is next to the driver, the radiator is in back of the driver, and is that the exhaust system over the fuel cell? The way it is currently configured, I doubt it will pass any sort of inspection.

What kind of a vehicle is this thing anyway? I have witnessed a lot of radiator relocations lately,  and it never seems to work out in the end (except for Nick's craptastic Alfa!)

Here's what we did with our fuel cell....

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3287/1481/33215740092_large.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3287/1481/33215740091_large.jpg

Wow, damn, wow.  A fuel cell right beside me?  No way!  A radiator right behind me?  No way!  Where will the radiator get its air flow BTW?  An electric fan will not provide enough air flow to keep the engine from overheating at race speeds.  Besides, are you TRYING to make the insde of the car as hot as possible?  most of us are fabbing cool suits,ducting air to the cockpit etc trying to keep the driver from passing out from heat stroke and you are trying to steam him!

Seriously man, re-think that WHOLE plan.  I can't believe it would pass tech anyway, but who knows.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I have no worries about overheating with this radiator and an electric fan. Honestly its so oversized in a front mount position it would never even require a fan, if anything cardboard to restrict flow.
The setup isn't for everyone, we feel it will work out much better for us and honestly believe our car will be safer then last year (of which we had zero issues going thru tech).
The fun part about the Lemons race is we can try some goofy and interesting things with the car.
The car started its life as a '86 325es. As you can see we have been abusing it for a while
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs130.snc1/5573_101897027969_711217969_2002411_2649184_n.jpg

10 (edited by saabsgonewild 2009-07-17 10:31 AM)

maybe...

just put the radiator above the top sticking out in the airflow?  You are going to have to put some serious plumbing in anyway...  just mount it rear-wards a bit so any leaks don't get the driver.

wait... no, DON'T do that....  I have to go now... just thought of something.... where is that copper pipe left over from the last waterheater installation...

Why exactly are you moving the radiator in the first place? We've run a 325 E with the radiator in the stock position for 5 races including 2 of the Altamont demo-derbys with no issues.

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

Also is the fuel cell an FIA certified one?

From the rules:

If the fuel tank can't be completely separated from the cockpit by metal panels, a metal-encased, FIA- certified fuel cell with all related compliant fittings must be used.

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

rnr wrote:

Why exactly are you moving the radiator in the first place? We've run a 325 E with the radiator in the stock position for 5 races including 2 of the Altamont demo-derbys with no issues.

Kinda what I was wonderign as well.  We ran a 325e too at CMP (twice) and it never overheated.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

14 (edited by SharkBait 2009-07-17 10:55 AM)

In the old school, anything goes Lemons, it was probably a good idea to relocate the radiator but today, contact is pretty limited thanks to longer tracks and tougher rules. However, the stock bumpers on the E30 are so beefy, they ought to keep the stock radiator position perfectly safe regardless.

We toyed with this idea for our E28 a while back but figured the extra plumbing, extra load put on the water pump, and lack of clean airflow would outweigh the benefits of relocating the radiator.

You've obviously already put a lot of work into your current setup so I'd suggest going through the rules word by word and if you're still not sure pinging Jay and asking him. If I were in your position, I'd run the stock radiator location and keep the cabin radiator as a contingency should the worst happen.

The Sharks
Home of the E28 Turbo Tuner Fish and the Hammered Head 944 Turbo

Just because we thought it would be fun. We also have had zero issues with the radiator in the front mount location. Also we figured we are locating some more weight in the center of the car for better handling.
The hoses and such for radiator shall be in rearward position so if they do pop it will at least be directed initially away from driver.

As I read the rules as I don't have a roof behind the rollcage hoop I don't really see that as the cabin anymore. The fuel cell is just a Summit aluminum one with safety foam installed.
I guess that is the root of the issue, what type of walls must I build to make sure it is not longer part of the "cabin"

I'm not interesting in changing how things are working, just wanna make sure it makes the tech guys happy.

I would have just sent Jay the question directly but figured I'd use the forum figured some of  Lemons safety/tech guys could just set me straight on what I must do without having to bug Jay directly. Sure he gets enough dumb questions every day as it is.

17 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-07-17 11:33 AM)

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/12/2008/05/340x_RR-FanShroudSide.JPG

Way back when I was involved with building a Lemons car, we were focused on making it stay alive in the bash-n-crash environment of Altamont, so a rear radiator seemed like a fine idea. It was actually a lot of fun rigging up a big ol' truck radiator and some BMW 7 series cooling fans in the back, with Toyota MR2 side scoops on the doors and a big duct coming out of the trunk... but it didn't work. We had a hurricane of air blowing out the back, we fixed all the leaks in the steel piping going from the radiator to the engine, we bled the hell out of the system to solve the air-bubble problem, and we tried a half-dozen junkyard water pumps in hopes of finding one that flowed better than the others, but the car still overheated like crazy when we took it to a Volvo track day at Thunderhill. Was the problem caused by airflow weirdness at speed? Crappy Ford water pumps that couldn't move water 10' and back, plus a 12" elevation change? Cosmic rays? So, with less than a week to go before the race, we put a Mercedes 450SEL radiator in front (tip: excellent junkyard radiator, very easy to find and cheap during Half Price Weekend sales).

Not saying your setup won't work, because I can think of several Lemons cars with rear-mounted radiator conversions that worked fine (and a few more that didn't work), but you should be doing it entirely because it's fun to solve such engineering challenges on a shoestring budget and not for demolition-derby-style invulnerability.

SharkBait wrote:

In the old school, anything goes Lemons, it was probably a good idea to relocate the radiator but today, contact is pretty limited thanks to longer tracks and tougher rules.

It wasn't so much the old school, anything goes Lemons as it was the old school, anything goes Altamont that caused the early Lemons races to be so full of bent metal and busted control arms. The races are way more fun now, in my opinion.

Yes we are doing it for engineering challenge factor. We like the fact that we will now have crush room just in case someone loses control and smashes into us. We found Toledo 08 to be very civil but we still did get some hits. With our solution we have a good couple feet of crush in the rear and about 1ft of crush in the front. We aren't planning on hitting anybody or anything, but we know sh*t happens so its a nice side benifit.

So now that we are clear on its a stupid idea but we accept this will our firewall plans be acceptable? I should hopefully have some pictures of that once we get to it in next week or so. Still have other more pressing engineering issues to work on before we tackle the firewalls.

You'll need to email Jay and/or Nick about the acceptability of your design.

rsafier wrote:

We like the fact that we will now have crush room just in case someone loses control and smashes into us.

Unless they T-bone you behind the door, then its flamed or steamed

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

22 (edited by Mulry 2009-07-17 12:39 PM)

Dude, that is insane. I love the ingenuity, but it is insane. And even with the metal fab that you're going to have to do to bring it even close to being in compliance with the rules, it still won't get there unless that fuel cell is FIA certified. I strongly suspect that is set out in the insurance policy, and thus why it is so specifically set out in the rules.

I hope this works for you, but be warned, here's the response I think you can expect from El Lammo: at MSR-Houston, one of our Ichabod Crane impersonator drivers accidentally turned off the car twice with his knee. When I installed and wired up the switch panel (including the ignition switch), I never in a million years imagined that one of our tall-ass guys would be able to even reach the switch with his knee, no less flip it off with said bony knee. But it happened. When we were pulled into the penalty box, and I was having a calm and interesting discussion with Senor Lamm, his point to me was this: when he dies in a ball of flame caused by him hitting that switch and causing a crash, how am I going to explain to the widow and orphaned children of this driver that I knew about this switch being in the wrong place and did not force you to correct the problem?

I had no savvy response other than, yes sir, we will move the switch right away.

Now I'm not a very clever guy, so maybe you have a better response in mind when Jay asks you that same question in regard to this setup. But I see about a jillion things that can go wrong with that setup, any one of which results in a permanently disfigured driver.

That said, I love the creative thinking. But if I wanted to make sure that my car passed tech the first time, I'd move both of those devices far, far from the driver. Cheers and good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

MurileeMartin wrote:

You'll need to email Jay and/or Nick about the acceptability of your design.

Okay will do that ASAP. Thanks.

We've set up the same deal as you... nice to know we're not the only odd-ball out there.  The radiator shown is NOT the primary radiator.  It's up front, where it should be.  Anybody notice the large tubing coming through the firewall?  That's a water line to the second radiator which becomes a back-up and/or second heat dissipation unit... like for Buttonwillow... like 110 degrees.

Now, the fuel cell... that's a different matter, but if it's FIA-SFI, you should be okay with it anywhere.

John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

professional.dreamer wrote:

Anybody notice the large tubing coming through the firewall?  That's a water line to the second radiator which becomes a back-up and/or second heat dissipation unit... like for Buttonwillow... like 110 degrees.
John

ah, so thats not the muffler then

arse-sweat-apalosa thunderhill 2011 : team killer zomBee!