Topic: Napoleon's Retreat From Moscow Rally?

I'm making a new topic because i think this suggestion is just too cool to die and I don't think it should be left to detract from an otherwise ALREADY epic thread about Spank's endeavors to PBIR. So, just a quick recap of what this Idea is; I'm going to quote Judge Phil's post in it's entirety.

Judge Phil wrote:

I've been trying to talk Jay into participating in a Napoleon's Retreat From Moscow Rally. Each contestant must drive a French car. The rally starts in Moscow, Idaho and goes to Paris, Texas. In winter. Diptheria and starvation optional.

I'd run a Peugeot 504.

Feedback so far has been suggestions for more rigorous routes, such as:

crazymike wrote:

Paris California to New London North Carolina?

I wrote:

psh, real challenge would be Moscow, Maine to Paris, California. only 3,200mi and 2 route options that have the same travel time!

and

cchampion wrote:

Forget Idaho.
I admit ME to CA would be epic, but I think Moscow MI to Paris TX is a more realistic goal for the amount of time off normal participants in cheap-car rallies can manage.

So far, if I had to concede to make this a realistic event, I like the Moscow, MI to Paris, TX idea. I think the ground rules would have to be that the car doesn't have to be caged, but must be street-legal in the team/builder/titled state, and we could open it to include pre-1983 cars that contain french engines (aka feel free to put a renault alliance motor in that chevy vega, It should sufficiently fulfill the spirit of the rally)

okay, discuss; Go!

Re: Napoleon's Retreat From Moscow Rally?

I think the best route would go between any American city named Moscow and any American city named Paris (many of each), with the distance as close to the Russian/French cities as possible. Got to be in winter and got to be in parts of the country that get snow.

3 (edited by Serj 2010-12-26 11:46 PM)

I found a renault Fuego... make it happen!

EDIT; so maybe Moscow, ME to Paris, TX could be pretty good? or Moscow, MI to Paris, CA?

An out and back would seem appropriate, as Napoleon went out with a big army and returned with not some much army. Attrition in this rally would be something like that.

Also, Dutch, Irish, Germans, Italian, Poles, and others were in Napoleon's army, especially the infantry. So should Polish cars be included in this retreat?

make the fastest/most reliable driver at the half-way point hitch-up/flat-tow the worst car back tongue

That's right, the infantry leaves no man (car) behind.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

7 (edited by DaveH 2010-12-27 07:50 AM)

If you really want to make it painful, go from Moscow, ID to Paris, IL.  The same distance as the Texas destination, and you have to drive across the entirety of Montana and South Dakota.

Edit: Does Montana still have no speed limit?

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

8 (edited by Serj 2010-12-27 08:20 AM)

DaveH wrote:

If you really want to make it painful, go from Moscow, ID to Paris, IL.  The same distance as the Texas destination, and you have to drive across the entirety of Montana and South Dakota.

Edit: Does Montana still have no speed limit?

unfortunately Montana re instituted their speed limits when they realized anyone with a 400hp+ car would flock there and make farmer joe herding his cattle across the road have a REALLY BAD DAY. Ever seen an Amish guy crap his pants AND lose his beard in 0.5sec? I don't think this route would be terribly interesting, and if done in january, could be downright scary as most of SD and Montana that we'd all be traveling on is downright desolate.

What about Moscow, ID to Paris, CA? about 1,100mi and depending on the route could potentially be non-stop mountain passes! this kind of rules out a lot of potential east coast people making the event though, as they probably wouldn't be able to make the car get to the startline!

Alternate idea; Paris, CA, to Paris, TX; right around 1,500mi one-way. Just make it an out and back race and call it "the french revolution"

How about an east-coast and west-coast event?  Moscow ID to Paris TX, and Moscow PA to Paris TX.  Time the starts so everyone gets to Texas about the same time.

DaveH wrote:

How about an east-coast and west-coast event?  Moscow ID to Paris TX, and Moscow PA to Paris TX.  Time the starts so everyone gets to Texas about the same time.

okay, this has the potential to be full of win. There would be a lot of debates about which-coast team had it worse, seeing as there's 500 more miles coming from ID than PA, however the PA trip looks like about 60% mountainous passes. oooh, Moscow, Maine actually pits them within 100mi travel distance of each route AND has the same total estimated travel time on google maps. What could possibly go wrong? I think by design, we're hoping EVERYTHING.

Even better, turn on the 'avoid highways' option.  It adds 10 hours to the Maine to Texas trip, and goes from 32 turns to 192 turns.  Only 6 extra hours from Idaho, and it goes from 25 to 73 turns.

I think the participants in the rally would need to subsist on frozen dead horses they found by the roadside.

Judge Phil wrote:

I'd run a Peugeot 504.

Here:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2121339743.html

or this:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2117313480.html

I'll bring an Alpine.

I like the Moscow, Idaho to Paris, Iowa - particularly if the route is mostly off the highway.
Goes right though Sturgis as well - American motorcycles vs French cars.

-Victor

on further thinking, I believe this should be a singular event, as  we'd probably get 20 nutjobs from the east coast and maybe 40 from out west. 2 seperate competing legs would be awesome on paper but the reality would stink. there's already the BABE rally along the east coast so something more central like Moscow, MI to Paris, TX would probably be better. is there a Moscow, WI?

Serj wrote:

there's already the BABE rally along the east coast so something more central like Moscow, MI to Paris, TX would probably be better. is there a Moscow, WI?

There is a Moscow MI, OH, IN, IL, WI, etc (according to Google Maps).  Maybe it should be Moscow anywhere (with a photo of your car by the sign) to Paris, TX.  My route could go through Paris, TN (and several Moscows).

dmoon wrote:

My route could go through Paris, TN (and several Moscows).

Paris Hilton?  smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Very intriguing.  I suggest teams use convertibles and drive barefoot.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Assuming I have time to find and road-legalize some piece of french shit before this goes down, I am SO IN.

Hell, I might just have my brother pick something up in California, have him park it, and put some transport tags on it just before the rally - and then be stuck trying to fix it at the starting line.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I've been itching for some kind of French ridiculousness.  In!

I finally have an excuse to import an Alpine/Renault A110, and I'm too broke. Ugh!

This rally alone would increase the value of French cars from everyone going out and snatching them up.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

we're gonna need a special Trophy related to Spank's journey. Maybe the "Utter Madman Bronze Breadbasket Award" the question would be should it be IoE-centric or Heroic fix related?

Another, better question would be, how do you determine IoE status when EVERYONE is racing french cars!

Not to go all academic on y'all or anything, but keep in mind what happened to Napoleon's army:
Minard graph of Napoleon's march
OTOH, maybe all teams should chart their "parts loss" along the way...

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

jkfoto wrote:

Not to go all academic on y'all or anything, but keep in mind what happened to Napoleon's army:
Minard graph of Napoleon's march

Yeah, that looks like a Lemons race.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"