Re: Got the Go-ahead from HQ for my IoE idea

Frank and Dana came over and we got most of the low voltage wiring finished. I even hooked up my speed resistor.
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/534373_435014076534424_1606947295_n.jpg

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

erich wrote:
NSF wrote:

Easy pie -

Isolate the shield of the alt. ie no common ground.  Pick your favorite battery.  Measure the battery from Positive (+) to Negitive (-).   Even connected to your 72V system the potential between the two is 12VDC.  Hook your alt to these two poles.   using the Neg side to the shield and the positive to the output.  You will gain a 12 VDC trickle charger w/ 170 amps.

You're going electric and making a new 72v regulator for the alternator isn't your first thought?

Well, I thought about it, now I am drunk and it sounds plausible. 

The limitations of the windings will not easily overcome.  I guess he could use the brake energy to close up a a group of 5 alternators w/o regulation.  Grounding will become a puzzle though.   

What about wind power?  Drag & loss might  negate the benefit.  Now, we're back to the leaf blower.

This space for rent.

Did you ever talk to Mike Bream of EV West about helping with advice/parts/etc?

Don't I recall reading something about this needing to pass tech through some other organization first  (like EV drag racers or some such) before it can go to Lemons? How on earth are you going to be able to get it finished plus do that prior to the race? If I missed that explanation on page 6 or something, sorry to bring it up again.

Judge Phil wrote:

Did you ever talk to Mike Bream of EV West about helping with advice/parts/etc?

i send him a message, but never got a reply

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Spank wrote:

Don't I recall reading something about this needing to pass tech through some other organization first  (like EV drag racers or some such) before it can go to Lemons? How on earth are you going to be able to get it finished plus do that prior to the race? If I missed that explanation on page 6 or something, sorry to bring it up again.

the regional NEDRA rep lives in Houston. i've been in close contact with him throughout the build. He is going to inspect it for me at the track.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Frank and Dana came over and we got most of the low voltage wiring finished. I even hooked up my speed resistor.

It's a LeMon... I thought they came with speed resistance already built-in.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

NSF wrote:
erich wrote:
NSF wrote:

Easy pie -

Isolate the shield of the alt. ie no common ground.  Pick your favorite battery.  Measure the battery from Positive (+) to Negitive (-).   Even connected to your 72V system the potential between the two is 12VDC.  Hook your alt to these two poles.   using the Neg side to the shield and the positive to the output.  You will gain a 12 VDC trickle charger w/ 170 amps.

You're going electric and making a new 72v regulator for the alternator isn't your first thought?

Well, I thought about it, now I am drunk and it sounds plausible. 

The limitations of the windings will not easily overcome.  I guess he could use the brake energy to close up a a group of 5 alternators w/o regulation.  Grounding will become a puzzle though.   

What about wind power?  Drag & loss might  negate the benefit.  Now, we're back to the leaf blower.

All this stuff might be plausible, if we had more than two days before the race and a dark wizard (electrical engineer) on the team.

We are having a problem with the Open ReVolt controller....
I'm going to call the creator in the morning, but it is locking us out with a throttle voltage error.
I think it has to do with the settings, but hopefully i didnt damage the controller.

235 (edited by MPaulHolmes 2012-09-30 09:31 PM)

Now that I'm thinking about it, I would add an aluminum heat sink too if you are going to really push it.  It's hard to remove the heat from the aluminum baseplate without any fins.

edit:  Never mind.  There's no room in there!  Nice job fitting all that stuff in such tight quarters.

John is still at the track, but I came home tonight for a dry change of clothes and a bed more comfortable than the driver's seat of a Grand Marquis, so I guess I'll drop some updates.

Bill [forgot last name], who is one of those genius/black magic EE types, came by on Friday and reprogrammed the motor controller. Apparently the throttle was also hooked up wrong. Big thanks to him, as he got us from totally hosed to practically functional. We spent all day and much of the night Friday wrenching on various things, and managed to take the car on a victory lap of the paddock at 2:00 Saturday morning.

Most of the day Saturday we spent getting last minute stuff straightened out: windshield, cage padding, fender flares, front suspension, and especially steering, which had been frighteningly terrible due to negative caster from the front subframe being put on backwards for RHD. Finally got everything tech-ready about 5:30 PM. The rain had even been stopped for a few hours. The three of us threw our suits on to hopefully each take a lap around the track.

John took the car out and managed the slowest lap of the day (around 9:30), during which the skies opened up again. Luckily, nothing on the car short-circuited OR exploded despite being subjected to several minutes of torrent. After he got back from one lap, the batteries were mostly dead. We plugged it back in to charge overnight. The current plan is for me to take the car out for another lap after the green flag drops tomorrow morning, then we'll plug it back in for Dana to do a lap. Hopefully we'll have enough time to juice it up for one last lap at the checkered flag.

I believe John is currently welding up a rear bumper from our last remaining metal stock, on which will be painted "PLEASE PUSH ME". Maybe that'll improve our range.

237 (edited by MPaulHolmes 2012-09-30 09:32 PM)

Congratulations on getting it running!  It was highlighted on Car & Driver's Blog!!

http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons-tex … more-93468

238 (edited by Hoonatic Racing 2012-10-02 08:10 PM)

Big thanks to Ben Nelson and Paul Holmes for providing tech support on such short notice. Bill Heckel was invaluable, even though he helped for less than an hour. He always came in at the right time with the right advice.

I took the car for a painfully slow lap and could not figure out why it would not go faster than 19MPH. It had the acceleration, but felt like it was throttling itself. The sky was clear when I got on track, but 47 minutes later and still 4 turns to track exit, it started raining. I don't remember the last time i was so religious.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/199435_10151106874794495_20604040_n.jpg

That night I let a bunch of people drive it and the reoccurring comment was "why did you put a roll cage in a golf cart"?

Yes the car was butt-terrible, but hella-sweet at the same time. Everyone had a smile after driving it. Even DJ, the 1/4 mile racer, who was pissed he couldn't get the tires to smoke had a half smile.

Bill suggested saturday night that i recheck the setting on the controller, and sure enough, we accidentally limited the motor to only 100 amps. After upping it to 380 amps, we sent Frank out sunday morning. I could tell right away that we tripled our hoursepower, put when he came to a stop in the carrousel i knew all that power had a price. Luckily, we didn't kill Frank.
Jeff came down from control to personally tell us we could not go back out. There was too much of a speed difference. Good thing, cause Dana was too scared to go on track, so he got to putz around the paddock.

We got Organizers Choice for bringing a knife to a nuke fight.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/230518_436244653078033_639832448_n.jpg

I'm already working on a sponsorship deal for some lithium batteries to increase speed and range. The upgrades should even put us in contention for a class win... provided all other class C cars have some mechanical mishap that sets them back an hour or so.

This is only the beginning of the Lemons EV.

for those of you not following me on facebook www.hoonaticracing.com here are a couple of updates

1) im entered in the race this weekend in Houston. Headlights don't draw much power, right?
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1263777_569083893127441_174095228_o.jpg

2) I have all new batteries
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/621961_568641143171716_931967960_o.jpg

3) the race is this weekend and I just cut out the entire front end
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1238036_573832865985877_374288042_n.jpg

4) I should have the front end aligned a little bit better this time to be able to achieve top speed
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1267993_995975671634_2124078449_o.jpg

if you cant tell, I removed about 10º of caster

Don't you need more battery?  Have you considered electric forklift batteries?  They are heavy, like 2k, but 36v and huge amp hour ratings.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

You're doing it all wrong.
If you're going to go green, do it right:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/ninechaos/null_zpsa06e1863.jpg

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

I still think you should have swappable battery packs.

I have access to two 50hp electric motors if they would be of any use.

specs (going from memory)
~1200rpm, rated for continuous usage
-50hp
-480v 3-phase input (however I believe they have a rectifier built in so you could strip that out and run them DC from batteries)
-about 700lbs (each) according to the spec sheet I found

Derek

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

derekste wrote:

I have access to two 50hp electric motors if they would be of any use.

specs (going from memory)
~1200rpm, rated for continuous usage
-50hp
-480v 3-phase input (however I believe they have a rectifier built in so you could strip that out and run them DC from batteries)
-about 700lbs (each) according to the spec sheet I found

Derek

Holy crap! thanks, but no
my motor works fine at 68lbs
we are making about 25-30 HP we will throw it on the dyno next month

It ran all weekend with only one breakdown and that was the cheap cast battery terminal that was a little undersized. I replaced it with a heavier duty connector and cut out about 3 feet of 4/0 wire to reduce the resistance

The car topped out at 50 MPH with a range of 4 laps with 80% charge (although the last time out I pushed it to 5 laps just to say I passed the dead Buick). With a distance of 2.3 miles around the track, that means I have a range of 14 miles at full throttle. It took us 3 hours to bring the charge back up to 80% where we could do another 4 laps.

Right now i'm planning on changing the transmission to a T5 which will have a nice over drive, and some taller rear tires which should help us get a better max speed.

The next race it will have hot swap batteries

Thanks again for letting the couple 'lump team members who stuck around have a ride in it. I was very glad to see them at least get some laps in something this weekend!