Topic: ceramic or metallic brake pads??

Napa auto parts is my local hangout being a lemon racer and they were going to give me some pads . They only got to last 400-600 miles

they offer a non ferrous ceramic   and  a metallic pad
pros  and cons please

I was thinking if the pads don't work too good might be an advantage on coming in the corners faster

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Re: ceramic or metallic brake pads??

Another Newbie bites the dust!  Oh, of course, go with the ceramic pads!!!  Lots of heat!!!  Lots of friction!!!  Eat those rotors while they're still hot... pass the mustard, please?  Dive into those corners in a blaze of glory (and watch as everyone passes you in the exit).  Ever hear the term "Slow In - Fast Out"??? 

C'mon... it's Lemons for gawds sake!  First, what kind of car are you talking about?  Std or auto trans? What kind of rotors does your car have?  All 4 wheels disc?  Vehicle weight?  Engine HP?  Tires?  Yes, all that really does matter.  Why tires?  Great brakes mean nothing if the tires can't grip.  You need to match all the pieces of the puzzle. 

Ceramic pads are a waste of time and money (IMHO) regardless of what you've got... that is, IF YOU'RE LEGAL!  Got something hidden underneath that you don't want us to know about?  Hmmm? 

Even full metallic pads can be a terror on rotors.  Again, depends on what your car is, weighs, the rotors, what kind of speed your car can attain... and driving style.  Late braking is fine for those who know how to do it without tearing up the car.  I'm guessing out of 400 drivers at any Lemons race, there's probably 15-20 who know how to do it right.

Okay, enough.  Go and buy the ceramics.  Please.  Make some marketing person happy that you bought their sales line (hook-line-sinker).

John

"Age only matters if you're a cheese."  Helen Hayes

sarcasm is always hard to quote !the whole faster in the corners lol I loved when the 80's huey lewis car came up next to me before turn one and went right off the  course He did the whole in fast in and  not fast out!!!

this the caltrans/grinch 4dr honda  2k  102hp 4wheel disc All my rotors are warped and are too thin.Probably warp in 5 laps!!
So I was looking at 88 rotors on ebay had  4 rotors/vented and cross drilled with ceramic pads for $160 shipped

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

funny thing about brakes and pads and all that...

bear with me for a relatively short story.

The Saabs, like most cars, have a couple of different brake setups depending upon model and year.  We swapped in the 9000 front calipers, rotors, and pads to our 900s.  A direct bolt up and $45 at pick a part on half off days for everything.   The rears, as it turns out are the same between them the models.  The 900s older than 1988 use a completely different setup front and rear, smaller calipers, pads, rotors AND the front rotors are solid.  The 88 and newer are vented rotors.  I shared all of this my partner in crime Rob at rbankracing (we teamed up in 2008) , he drove back from Thunder Hill 2007 with a rear axle and items to upgrade his car, I later sent a complete set of calipers, rotors, and pads (front and rear) to them before Ohio 2008.  Rob told me that at CMP 2007 they melted pads off the backing plates, or something like that (they were running the older solid rotor, smaller caliper/pad setup then).

We had "upgraded" our rotors to Zimmerman cross drilled front and back, and swapped in PBR deluxe pads front and rear.

We've run that setup since the beginning for us (Altamont 2007-1) and now, seven races later we have changed the pads once and may do it again.

At Houston we had some "hired guns" since most of our regulars were unavailable, very fast and great guys (and a gal too!), and they asked what color the pads we used were?  Orange, Green, Yellow, and other colors of the rainbow too...  I know I gave them the deer in headlights look...  umm... Black I think?  We've run them for several races was my reply.  The look of horror was both priceless and bothersome.  Had I screwed up (again...)?  After a turn in the car, Jason, Steven, Jessica,  and Alex never asked about the brakes again.  Fish already knew how well they work. Rob, Sam, Justin (and even ScottLTD) do too.   If you follow any of the in-car videos from other cars you can see they worked well, plus Jason and Steven's laptimes support that too.

Now if we could have stayed out of the penalty box... ha ha ha!

I suspect we could run the stock not cross drilled rotors (and I bring them as spares) but we would be running those $30 pads either way.

In closing, I learned about the 9K caliper setup from Justin on Boxwrench, and have shared this information with all of the Saab teams.   It seems to work.

After all, we need all the help we can get, we are only racing Saabs after all...

Moe.

The pads on before were napa pads free from local store and were on the car for 5 races of front metallic  and 4 races on rear  now all 4 corners are on the sensors after thill

chris

As a general rule of thumb semi-metallics are a little more forgiving of imperfections on rotors.  Ceramics will chew up your rotors if they are not turned and have adequate ventillation for the higher heat that ceramics generate.

Stuntman Mike
I Wanna Roc

7 (edited by Ottobon 2009-05-06 09:03 PM)

Were the hell did you get shoes!!! I'm still looking at ceramic pads big_smile

<3 impossibility of rotor warp!

got discs on rear from pick n pull off 98 integra  straight bolt on

fabtoys wrote:

sarcasm is always hard to quote !the whole faster in the corners lol I loved when the 80's huey lewis car came up next to me before turn one and went right off the  course He did the whole in fast in and  not fast out!!!

This is a video of the only off we had. Fast forward to :39 and you can see the Bimmer (Camera Car) dive bombs us, locks up the front tires, and understeers into our rear quarter panel.

-Weston
-Huey Newis & the Lose Captain

Huey Newis and the Lose
Don't Start Believin'

Yes, sarcasm is always hard to quote... but video evidence is always hard to beat!

Yeah!!!  Way to go Weston!

John

Westyside wrote:
fabtoys wrote:

This is a video of the only off we had. Fast forward to :39 and you can see the Bimmer (Camera Car) dive bombs us, locks up the front tires, and understeers into our rear quarter panel.

-Weston
-Huey Newis & the Lose Captain

Oh snap! Impending Lemons forum rumble

Stuntman Mike
I Wanna Roc

Rumble?  Did he say... RUMBLE?

(Sing-along)

RIFF
The Jets are gonna have their day
Tonight.

BERNARDO
The Sharks are gonna have their way
Tonight.

RIFF
The Puerto Ricans grumble: "Fair fight."
But if they start a rumble,
We'll rumble 'em right.

BERNARDO
We're gonna hand 'em a surprise
Tonight.

RIFF AND JETS
We're gonna cut 'em down to size
Tonight.

BERNARDO AND SHARKS
We said, "O.K., no rumpus,
No tricks."
But just in case they jump us,
We're ready to mix
Tonight.

ALL
We're gonna rock it tonight,
We're gonna jazz it up and have us a ball!
They're gonna get it tonight;
The more they turn it on the harder they'll fall!

RIFF AND JETS
Well, they began it!

BERNARDO AND SHARKS
Well, they began it!

ALL
And we're the ones to stop 'em once and for all,
Tonight!

ANITA
Anita's gonna get her kicks
Tonight.
We'll have our private little mix
Tonight.
He'll walk in hot and tired,
So what?
Don't matter if he's tired,
As long as he's hot
Tonight!

TONY
Tonight, tonight,
Won't be just any night,
Tonight there will be no morning star.
Tonight, tonight, I'll see my love tonight.
And for us, stars will stop where they are.
Today
The minutes seem like hours,
The hours go so slowly,
And still the sky is light . . .
Oh moon, grow bright,
And make this endless day endless night!

RIFF
I'm counting on you to be there
Tonight.
When Diesel wins it fair and square
Tonight.
That Puerto Rican punk'll
Go down.
And when he's hollered "Uncle"
We'll tear up the town!

(RIFF, TONY, and MARIA sing simultaneously)

RIFF
So I can count on you, boy?

TONY
All right.

RIFF
We're gonna have us a ball.

TONY
All right.

RIFF
Womb to tomb!

TONY
Sperm to worm!

RIFF
I'll see you there about eight.

TONY
Tonight . . .

MARIA
Tonight, tonight
Won't be just any night,
Tonight there will be no morning star,

(JETS, SHARKS, MARIA, TONY, and ANITA sing simultaneously)

SHARKS
We're gonna rock it tonight!
They're gonna get it tonight,
They began it,
They began it,
The began it.
We'll stop 'em once and for all.
The Sharks are gonna have their way,
The Sharks are gonna have their day,
We're gonna rock it tonight.
Tonight!

JETS
We're gonna jazz it tonight!
Tonight!
They began it,
And we're the ones to stop 'em once and for all!
The Jets are gonna have their way,
The Jets are gonna have their day.
We're gonna rock it tonight.
Tonight!

ANITA
Tonight, tonight,
Late tonight,
We're gonna mix it tonight.
Anita's gonna have her day,
Anita's gonna have her day,
Bernardo's gonna have his way
Tonight, tonight,
Tonight, this very night,
We're gonna rock it tonight!

MARIA
Tonight, tonight,
I'll see my love tonight.
And for us, stars will stop where they are.

MARIA AND TONY
Today the minutes seem like hours.
The hours go so slowly,
And still the skiy is light.
Oh moon, grow bright,
And make this endless day endless night,

ALL
Tonight!

Brakes are one area where we go all out, brakes and suspension are the most important pieces of the Lemons puzzle (horsepower is last BTW for any of those who don't know).  Since brakes are safety items we run full race Porterfield pads and they work awesome once they get warm.  We also have the luxury of being able to run stock C-Body Mopar front rotors that interchange with 1/2 ton Dodge vans through the 70's so they are cheap and tough.  We never even had to turn the rotors after 4 Lemons races and they never warped.  I doubt you could get away with that on most cars however.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

rocketresto wrote:

... brakes and suspension are the most important pieces of the Lemons puzzle.

Put a poor driver in great car (with all the best brake and suspension components you can find) and you'll still have a POS on the track.

John

We are having a brake problem ourselves.  It seems that not every car has great options when it comes to aftermarket/high performance brake parts.  Stuck with the OEM junk, we warped our solid front rotors within a few laps.  We also used cheap pads and after 3 hours they were worn down to the wear tabs.

Short of swapping on different front end components we figure the best we can do is go with ceramic pads and change out the rotors and the pads on Saturday night.

Basically, bring lots of spare parts!

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

professional.dreamer wrote:
rocketresto wrote:

... brakes and suspension are the most important pieces of the Lemons puzzle.

Put a poor driver in great car (with all the best brake and suspension components you can find) and you'll still have a POS on the track.

John

I bet that poor driver would do worse in a car without brakes and suspension.  At least it would give you the tools to get the hell out of the way if needed.

professional.dreamer wrote:

John

Aren't all the cars POS's on the track?

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury

Every racecar is a POS one time or another doesn't matter if Lemons.

I like Porterfield R4 pads. Then a little H2O spray on the front rotors helps keep  everything from warping.

So basically if I rub ceramics get drilled rotors

We run the stock rotors with no drilling or slotting with our Porterfield pads.

Team Oly Express

We use Yellowstuff pads with our Chinese $17/ea little bitty rotors. We use up/replace from paranoia a set of pads every race/2 races depending on the track. They've worked great. We were going to upgrade to the later J-car knuckles to get .5 inch bigger brakes, but they've been fine so far. I'm amazed that the rotors are still holding up after 6(ish) races, no cracks or warping yet...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24