Topic: How To: Build your own cool suit system (with pictures)

OK all, here is all the info I can provide on our system.  Ours has kind of evolved as we have seen what worked and what didn't.  The first one worked, but the ice didn't last long enough, and since Jay wouldn't let us add ice in the hot pits, we had to engineer a solution.  Racing in South Carolina in the summer w/o a driver cooling system is just not an option for us.  Feel free to ask any questions.  I'll be glad to help.

For an overview, the basics of a good system IMO are:

1. More ice = longer cool time.

A bigger cooler holds more ice. Fit every bit of ice you can get into that cooler.   Our first cooler was a 20 quart, but we stepped up to a 48 quart.  Yes, it is heavy, but you have to sacrifice something to avoid heatstroke right?

2. Block ice > crushed ice because it takes longer to melt. 

Crushed ice is easy, but it melts pretty quick.  Old 2-liter and 20 oz plastic bottles work well for making the ice blocks.  Freeze water in them and leave them in a separate cooler until the morning of the race.  When you are ready to start the race cut the plastic bottles off an just leave the ice.  If you leave the plastic it will actually insulate the ice from the water giving you less of a cooling affect.

3. Decrease the run time of the system.

Cycling the pump on and off helps the ice last longer as well.  Our cycling is done via an automatic programmable 12V timer, but you can do it manually just using a toggle switch as well.  In other words, switch it off when you aren't working as hard in the car (like during caution laps) and the ice will last longer. 

4. Make An Overflow Provision.

As the ice melts, the water will want to slosh out the lid in the turns.  Lots of teams were black-flagged during race for leaking water out of their cool-suit coolers because understandably the flaggers couldn’t tell the difference between leaking water and leaking fuel.  Sealing the lid sounds like a simple solution, but as I discovered that isn't as easy at it sounds.  I tried to make a gasket and it just wouldn’t hold up to the constant opening/closing of the lid.  Therefore I added an overflow tube (see it in the pics) that purges the excess water underneath the car.  Wait, you can’t spill water on the track right?  Well the trick is to locate the exit of the overflow tube directly over the exhaust piping.  When the cold water hits the hot pipe it turns to steam...thus no leakage on the track. smile  To make sure the tube hits the “right spot” I welded a pipe coupling to the floor and drilled a hole through it.  The vinyl tube is inserted into the coupling loosely so it is aimed properly and the cooler is still easy to remove.  BTW, it doesn’t piss water out onto the exhaust the entire time.  Assuming you locate the overflow at reasonable level, once the excess water has been purged it will be sustained at that point until you add more ice.

OK, now for the construction.  I'll try to describe what I did as best I can.  Here are the materials I used:

1. Cooler

I used a 48-quart cooler called "The Cube" made by Igloo.  It's a square “cube” (hence the name) and fits the car well. Costs about $25.  I used angle brackets bolted thru the sides of the cooler and sealed the holes with silicone where the bolts pass through the cooler.  The brackets are then bolted to (not thru) the floor via nuts welded to the floorboard.  I also added small latches to the lid to keep it closed.  Some use a ratchet strap to hold the cooler and/or lid in place, but that I do not like that method.  To each his own, just keep the lid and cooler secure in your car.

2. Pump

I used a simple Atwood brand 12 volt bilge pump from Walmart.  Cost was approx. $25. I attached it directly to the bottom of the cooler with screws.  I used silicone around the screws to prevent leakage.  In the pictures you will notice a small “cage” around the pump.  This is to prevent the heavy ice blocks from bashing against that little plastic pump and rendering it useless.  I actually used a wire basket from the dollar store, cut it to fit, and secured it to the cooler with screws and plastic wire clips.

3. Pipe Fittings

This is where you will have to just "figure it out".  I used standard NPT 3/8" fittings from Lowes for most of the plumbing in/out of the cooler itself.  I used brass adapters (see the pics) to go from the large pipe elbows to the smaller vinyl tubing.  You may have to use adapters or whatever.  Just make sure you seal everything to prevent leakage.  I just used marine-grade silicone from Wal-mart, but RTV will work just as well.

4. Hoses/Dry-break fittings

I was lucky and I started with an old EB-Ice system we got from Ebay so I already had the hoses to go from the cooler to the shirt.  You can use standard (1/4" IIRC) vinyl tubing from Lowes,  just remember you need to insulate it.  You can use regular foam pipe insulation for that.  I already had the correct "dry-break" hose fittings already, but you can buy them from McMaster-Carr on-line.  Do a search and you will find the appropriate part number from MMC.  Make the hoses long enough so the driver has some slack in the line.  Also they need to be routed to the driver’s left side if you are using the official Cool Shirt brand shirt because that is the side their hoses exit the shirt.

5. Cool-Shirt

You can try to build your own if you want, but we decided to pony-up and just go and buy the official "Cool Shirt" and be done with it.  It ain't cheap (about $140) but you won't regret it.  Some folks have been able to score a used one on Ebay, so look around and maybe you can do the same.  Also remember to buy the shirt one size SMALLER than your normal shirt size.  The cooling works much better when it tighter to your body.

One tip for people with one-piece fire suits, cut a slot slit inside your left pocket (assuming you have pockets) to route the cool shirt’s tubing outside your suit.  Obviously if you wear a two-piece fire suit routing the tubing won’t be an issue.

Build Pictures

Here are links to the pics of our setup.  Some are shown from the first version, but the only difference in the newer version is the cooler is larger.  Also you'll see the “cage” I added around the pump. 

Making the fittings

In/Out fittings to shirt for vinyl tubing

Sealing fittings inside the cooler

Another pic showing wiring to pump

Brackets to attach cooler to floorboard

Inside showing pump, in/out fittings, and overflow (top)

Cage to protect pump

Overflow tube

Overall view (version 1.0)

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Re: How To: Build your own cool suit system (with pictures)

Very nice.

I wish it was easier to find fittings to go through the cooler.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

3 (edited by VKZ24 2011-04-21 08:48 AM)

Troy wrote:

Very nice.

They aren't hard to find, they are hard to find cheap.  They are called "bulkhead" fittings because they are mainly used on boats.  You can buy them at www.iboats.com, but they are damn pricey especially when you add the shipping charges.

As you can see in this pic I just made my own by welding a flat washer to a standard NPT pipe nippple.

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:
Troy wrote:

Very nice.

They aren't hard to find, they are hard to find cheap.  They are called "bulkhead" fittings because they are mainly used on boats.  ... I just made my own by welding a flat washer to a standard NPT pipe nippple.

I welded a simple NPT pipe coupler/reducer to a large washer.  Worked great at $1.12.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Wow.  If that cooler is full, that's 100 lbs worth of liquid/ice.  Nice setup, but I'd go with a smaller container.  The standard coolsuit box size with a block of ice the size of a 1 gallon jug of mild provided enough cooling power for a 2 hour session at MAM last year in 90F temps.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Wow.  If that cooler is full, that's 100 lbs worth of liquid/ice.  Nice setup, but I'd go with a smaller container.  The standard coolsuit box size with a block of ice the size of a 1 gallon jug of mild provided enough cooling power for a 2 hour session at MAM last year in 90F temps.

You can't actually fill it, but it does hold about five or six 2-liter sized ice blocks.  If you read the first post you will notice where I said Jay would NOT let us add ice during a pit stop (in the hot pits) so 2-hours won't cut it for us.  With our current setup the ice will last 7 hours with no additional ice.

Captain

Check homebrew supply, or places that sell beer tap fittings. That's what ours is made from.

"Chief Idiot" - Italian Stallions Rotary X1/9
Class Win (Bad) / IOE Win (Guzzi Fiat 600) / We Got Screwed / GRM Most from Least

You guys drive for longer than 2 hours?  You guys are animals.  smile  The longest stint we've tried has been 3hrs, and we start getting fuzzy headed after 2 1/2 hrs...

VKZ24 wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

You can't actually fill it, but it does hold about five or six 2-liter sized ice blocks.  If you read the first post you will notice where I said Jay would NOT let us add ice during a pit stop (in the hot pits) so 2-hours won't cut it for us.  With our current setup the ice will last 7 hours with no additional ice.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

You guys drive for longer than 2 hours?  You guys are animals.  smile  The longest stint we've tried has been 3hrs, and we start getting fuzzy headed after 2 1/2 hrs...

You misunderstood.  We drive two hours, then do a driver change and re-fuel.  During that change we are NOT allowed to add ice to the cooler (we do changes in the hot pits NOT the paddock) so we have to start with enough ice to last the entire day.

Captain

Jay will let you fuel in the hot pits, but not put ice in your cooler?  Hmmm.  I've never seen anyone refuel in the hotpits.  Where do you guys race?

Now I understand why you need the UBER-cooler.

VKZ24 wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

You misunderstood.  We drive two hours, then do a driver change and re-fuel.  During that change we are NOT allowed to add ice to the cooler (we do changes in the hot pits NOT the paddock) so we have to start with enough ice to last the entire day.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Jay will let you fuel in the hot pits, but not put ice in your cooler?  Hmmm.  I've never seen anyone refuel in the hotpits.  Where do you guys race?

CMP in South Carolina.  We cannot do ANYTHING other than change drivers and re-fuel in the hot pits.  No adding ice, no checking tire pressure, no lifting the hood, etc.

Captain

Excellent write-up! We will use this for the Northworst race in June.

VKZ24 wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

CMP in South Carolina.  We cannot do ANYTHING other than change drivers and re-fuel in the hot pits.  No adding ice, no checking tire pressure, no lifting the hood, etc.

I'm pretty sure I remember last fall that the icing restriction was lifted. Everything else still stood, though.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Has anyone thought of rigging up a cool suit system based on the car's A/C? Replace the refrigerant/air heat exchanger with a refrigerant/water heat exchanger and voila, cold water for your cool suit.

Admittedly, ice in a cooler is probably the more reliable solution.

ATTENTION DIY Cool Shirt guys: Ultra Chiller

http://www.ultrachiller.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

Ultra Chiller sells complete systems, Shirt & Cooler for $229.00!!!

DIY Cooler Kits: $189.00
You supply your own cooler.

Shirts: $89.00
Uses same connectors as Cool Shirt.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

Very nice.

I used 1/4"ID vinyl tubing on mine like most people do. The OD is about .375. so what I did was drill two holes near the top of the cooler (like 1" below the lid) but I drilled the holes to a diameter of about .360 (.015 smaller than the tube). then I just stuffed the tubes through the holes and they sealed up great. I may get a drop or two here and there, but when I tested it I filled it with water, turned it up side down, and it did not leak. Note that I used one of those orange rubbermaid drink coolers with the round screw on lid, which also doesn't leak. I did the same basic thing for the pump wires. I just drilled them a little small and stuffed them through. hope this helps someone.

John

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

The other recent thread on DIY cool systems... thoughts on build/buy decisions:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 122#p93122

Thanks again to VKZ24 on tips for my build!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

18 (edited by Troy 2011-05-14 05:10 AM)

Apparently I wasn't specific enough and few people checked out the Ultra Chiller link.

They offer a DIY Cooler kit with shirt for $189.00 .

Complete systems with cooler are $229.00 with a shirt.

Finally shirts are $89.

These are damn near DIY prices that will give you a quality product in the end.

Check it out for yourself: ultrachiller.com

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

19 (edited by FJ40Jim 2011-05-16 10:04 AM)

Ultrachiller site is gone?

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

We actually just drilled holes in the top of the cooler and sealed them with silicone for the tubes.  That way in an emergency you just get the eff out of the car and the tubes come with.

I got referred to UltraChiller by a driver on my team who has their shirt.

I called and Chris said the server went down this morning.  Should be back up soon.

I orginally called them just to make sure their shirt works with the connectors on our cooler.  Cool Shirt and UltraChiller use compatible connectors.

During the first conversation we had about shirt compatibility, he brought up a variety of stumbling blocks.  While connectors are difficult if you do not buy CPC fittings.  Pump cavitation can be another issue, which we have experienced.

Since so many of us are DIY guys, I thought his DIY system where you provide the cooler, eliminated the trouble of finding the right connectors and things.  We can run as large of a cooler as we want and it includes a shirt, all for $189!

Cool Shirts are $140 now, add $50 and UltraChiller gets you a shirt and DIY cooler kit.

I am sure he will sell a DIY cooler kit separately.  I spent over $100 building my cooler because I bought extra connectors.  You could save a little money doing all this yourself but you are not saving that much. 

Additionally, Chris modifies the pumps to prevent cavitation.

So while I haven't bought anything from UltraChiller, it looks like a great resource for our community so I posted it on all the threads we have had about Cool Shirt systems.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

Not being a smart ass here, just trying to learn something, but how does a pump that is totally submerged cavitate?  We have had few intermittant problems with our setup, but I'm not sure what the issue is...maybe cavitation?

Explain please.

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:
Troy wrote:

Not being a smart ass here, just trying to learn something, but how does a pump that is totally submerged cavitate?  We have had few intermittant problems with our setup, but I'm not sure what the issue is...maybe cavitation?

Explain please.

The problem would be discharge cavitation (not suction cavitation):

Discharge cavitation occurs when the pump discharge pressure is extremely high, normally occurring in a pump that is running at less than 10% of its best efficiency point. The high discharge pressure causes the majority of the fluid to circulate inside the pump instead of being allowed to flow out the discharge. As the liquid flows around the impeller, it must pass through the small clearance between the impeller and the pump housing at extremely high velocity. This velocity causes a vacuum to develop at the housing wall (similar to what occurs in a venturi), which turns the liquid into a vapor. A pump that has been operating under these conditions shows premature wear of the impeller vane tips and the pump housing. In addition, due to the high pressure conditions, premature failure of the pump's mechanical seal and bearings can be expected. Under extreme conditions, this can break the impeller shaft.
Discharge cavitation in joint fluid is thought to cause the popping sound produced by bone joint cracking, for example by deliberately cracking one's knuckles.

-Victor

OK, thanks for the explanation. 

Reading between the lines I *think* in our situation we are going from the 3/8" outlet of the pump directly into the 1/4" barbed fitting creating a pressure increase at the point of discharge.  So basically the pump is trying to force the water into the smaller opening and when it is unable to do so (at the higher pressure) it cavitates?

Next question, how do we prevent it?  What if the pump was able to run at a lower RPM via something like a rheostat?

Captain

An easy thing to try would be a bypass line that goes from the pump output back to the cooler with a valve.
Open the valve all the way and most of the water will bypass the shirt.  As you close off the valve more water will be forced through the shirt and you can find the sweet spot with the maximum cooling before cavitation occurs.

-Victor