Topic: Cage clearance and driver vision question/ advice seeking

We're trying to mount our seat. Right now we have the seat on the floor, it can't go any lower, and we are just barely inside the 2" rule. The trouble is we can't really see anything close to us being that low. Short of cutting the roof and building a new cage, is there anything we can do to gain some clearance?

I didn't know if it would be allowed to add a second set of bars above the current loop in the cage to get some added "enclosed area" (i'll take some pictures to show what i mean)

any other ideas? I"m trying to avoid driving blind at the race.

the car is a dodge daytona (yes i know, spectator excitement waiting to happen)

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: Cage clearance and driver vision question/ advice seeking

How close is the cage to the roof?  The 2" rule is from your helmet to the TOP of the roof hoop.

Did you remove the dash?

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/trekkor/car%20photo%20dump/P1110403.jpg

Maybe add a center tube?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

4 (edited by TheEngineer 2011-04-30 12:48 PM)

trekkor wrote:

Maybe add a center tube?

KT

we were actually wondering about this. If that is legal, and you can use the top of that bar as a measuring point, we'd be saved.

This shows something we were looking at. side bars are lower than front to back, so can we measure off the front and back? Tallest driver is hitting the string/taller than it on the side ones right now. (1.75" tube means we need to be .25" below the string.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w116/cegan09/2011-04-30_16-50-47_965.jpg

ignore the alien driver, he's really friendly.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

The outermost plane described by your cage is what you need to be inside - so main hoop to front of halo in most cases.

The outward-bent center bar is actually Evil John's usual recommendation in these threads.

Also note that the measurement is helmet-on.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Just an observation- it appears your halo is a fair bit under the roof.  Was there a reason it was done this way?  Looks like you could have gotten a lot more headroom (probably 2") by having the bars closer to the roof of the car.

The point of the 2" rule is to prevent your noggin from hitting something hard in the unlikely event of a rollover.  So adding structral members above what you've got now should be OK.  Of course, Evil's the real say on this.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LDTX11/LDTX11-UG-298.jpg

Or put the cage outside the roof.

We are struggling with the same issue. What about welding an additional crescent shaped section to the top of the rear roll cage bar, which would effectively raise the height of the rear bar enough for drivers to clear the 2" requirement.

Team Miagra
11 races. 7 finishes, 4 DNFs, 4 Top 10s, 1 win, countless good times...

Judge Phil wrote:

NO!!! you can't do that, I suggested that several times to my teammates, and they said no.

"If the top of the cage is 2" above the roof, and your head is under the roof, then the cage will be more than 2" above your head." Was too difficult of a concept to get through their heads.

Drive more, type less.

mechimike wrote:

Just an observation- it appears your halo is a fair bit under the roof.  Was there a reason it was done this way?  Looks like you could have gotten a lot more headroom (probably 2") by having the bars closer to the roof of the car.

The point of the 2" rule is to prevent your noggin from hitting something hard in the unlikely event of a rollover.  So adding structral members above what you've got now should be OK.  Of course, Evil's the real say on this.

The tube is tucked as close as possibly to the structural portions of the roof. The guy that built our cage is well versed in the various cage rules for different racing organizations, and built it that way on purpose. We added a bent roof bar that just about touches the roof, and we have the needed clearance now. Thanks for the help guys. Next time we're picking a taller car. Rumor is a relative has a previa that is free to me if i want it. Now to dream up a good engine for it.....

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

fairgentleman Z wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

"If the top of the cage is 2" above the roof, and your head is under the roof, then the cage will be more than 2" above your head." Was too difficult of a concept to get through their heads.

That looks mean as hell.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

My work is done here, you guys have it sorted out.   

Sorry, I cannot be on line all the time, in fact, its likely that I will not be available on weekends...   

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'