Re: **Good cautionary tale** Don't let this happen to you -- blood & gore

dculberson wrote:

Next time I go to clean a chain, I'll probably think "huh, I seem to remember someone talking about doing it with the chain moving ..."

Excellent!   That is exactly the reason I started this thread -- to get everyone to think twice before doing something that might get them hurt.   Thank you.

In other news, I get the stitches taken out today.   There's no sign of infection, but it still hurts if I move the finger in certain ways or stretch my arm.   This puts a severe crimp in my shop work.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Its not stupid to clean your chain or oil it while its "moving", it is beyond stupid to do it with the motor running and the bike in gear.  There is a reason the transmission has a neutral.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

i roll the wheel backwards to clean the inside of the chain on the bottom side, and then run the wheel forwards to clean the outside of the chain on the top side.

i'd rather stub my fingers into the drive housing than put them in line to feed into the sprocket.

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

54 (edited by Dr Danger 2012-02-21 11:54 AM)

Great thread! Lots of good advice, too.I have patched up MORE THAN A FEW of you at the track. I agree w the trephining of the nail w a heated paperclip. if it happens at the track, I'll do it for a craft beer. If it takes more than steri strips to put things back together  I'm sending you to town... Some things I see a lot that need to change, tho...

1. Eye protection   I always have extra sets in the truck/ambulance. Ask the Diplomatic Immunity Mercedes guy where he got the yellow ones...
2. Ear protection   Use with ALL high pitched and loud noises. I have good hearing after 10 years w the USMC as a Navy Doc.
3. Gloves.   THey USUALLY help, unless you do something really stupid.. (like what we are doing isn't stupid enough)
4. Stop and THINK about what you are doing. Do you have the right tool? if not, someone else has one that you can break.

I had a similar incident at work last month of so ago, but on the opposite side of the finger. As a funny fact I was working on my own car doing some exhaust work.

though black rubber gloves don't provide a whole heck of a lot of protection. the fact the wheel snagged a little bit of the rubber and slung my finger away may have saved my finger from far worse.

It wasn't as badly hurt as I thought it was going to be thanks to first-aide stuff my work has and determination to get it cleaned/sanitized, it has healed up well. The nail has grown out to the point where you can see the damage it did to the nail.

needless to say I share your pain if not the shock of the incident. good to see most of us have manged to maintain our digits through our accidents.

Now, roughly a month later, the wound has healed nicely.   There is a non-obvious scar, of course, but the doctor did a pretty good job of sewing it up.   The problem is the loss of feeling in the end joint of my index finger.   There is a tiny bit of feeling, but only on the top side (down to the base of the nail) and a little bit along the side that faces my thumb.

One big effect on my life is how it affects my typing.   Since I make my living at a keyboard, this is a big deal to me.   I now have to go much slower and must look at my fingers often -- exactly what my typing teacher told me to never do.   Otherwise, I hit either the wrong key or two keys at once: "r" and "t", "e" and "r", and so forth.   The command to exit my editor is Control-Z, and I often find the adjacent key in the file, right where I did the exit command.   Code doesn't compile too well with things like that.   smile

The other big effect is how much more careful I have become in my shop work.   I find myself thinking two or three times about what might go wrong.   This is good, and I hope the rest of you are now doing the same.   Please work safely.

Your problem isn't your finger, it's your editor.  Much better to hit ESC :wq

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

Over time you should get most or all of the feeling back. If I recall correctly, myelinated nerve fibers can regenerate at about an inch a month but there are some factors that play into it. Lets hope for a quick recovery.

Daniel Sycks

solman244 wrote:

Your problem isn't your finger, it's your editor.  Much better to hit ESC :wq

I don't fight religious wars on the internet.   smile   smile   smile

Actually, I do use vi (or vim) when working on those systems, but VMS systems are my big love -- and where I make my money.   Of course, there is also the universal editor: TECO.   smile

EMACS WAR!!

Maybe an ergo keyboard would help.  My Kinesis is awesome since the control key is hit by the thumb you can hit the "z" key with your pinky.

http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/images/kb_adv-blk720x471.jpg

Obviously mine does not have the windows/apple key, just two control keys.  It ships with the extra key caps.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

As much as I hate to admit it, emacs keystrokes are less destructive on average when you are in another editor.  vi keystrokes tend to close windows or otherwise destroy hours of work.  The ESC key does some funky stuff at times.

And to think, this is almost on topic.  Emacs vs. vi debates tend to end up with blood and gore...

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

I should start one of these cautionary tale threads about how Lemons can (almost) ruin a marriage...

Don't let this happen to you, kids:

If you're lucky enough to get your wife interested enough to drive your Lemons car, put someone else on the radio spotter position. Apparently "@$&!%* Why don't you go faster!" isn't a supportive way to interact with a spouse.

Auto Lemon Union www.facebook.com/autolemonunion     
'11 - Point, Sweat, Skank; '12 - Point, Sweat, Vodden, Freeze, '13 Point (+even), Turrible, Vodden, Freeze, '14 Problem, Point, Turrible, Vodden, Freeze, '15 Point, Lemonites, Freeze.

Never ever try to take a picture with your iPhone while using a drill....when the hole saw catches in the UMHW, you will torque your hand all the way around and break your ring finger down low. Guess Fiasco Rallysport may need a fourth for Loudon Annoying...f@#$%

Spank and I can help with the cautiinary marriage write up! Lol!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

I did end up having to take off most of the nail before the race at Sears point. It was a precaution to avoid ripping it off with my Nomex gloves.  Then at the race I managed to hacksaw the fleshy part of my index finger on the same hand.

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Update: fourth metacarpal on my right hand snapped... but the doc says he thinks it'll be healed enough top have a removable cast by the time of the race. Of course, now we're down a wrench turner for a car that is very yes apart. Going to have to be a bad patient and try to work one handed.

http://lemonsfiasco.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/splint.jpg?w=717

Never get cocky around power tools...

I made my original post to get you guys to stop and think before you do something stupid.   Yet I see you still getting hurt.   Come on now, slow down and THINK!    Please.

And another thing I can no longer do because of no feeling in the tip of my index finger: put a nut on a bolt in a blind location.   I'm trying to learn to do with it my middle finger, but old habits die hard.

I'll have you know i even put on my safety glasses when drilling brass today.  BRASS!  I are safe.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

So this weekend I was angle grinding a bit of metal in the car.  Someone distracted me, I turned off the grinder, looked up and proceeded to slice the top of my thumb open.  Now, we we out of town and it was Friday night.  There was no way I was going into urgent care.  It throbbed all night, but stopped by midday Sat.  So my moral is, wear your damn work gloves!  I was abl to race on Sat, but barely.  I should have been wearing my work gloves!

Putting the "dirty" in Dirty Little Freaks Racing
~stalk us on facebook

disarrae wrote:

So this weekend I was angle grinding a bit of metal in the car.  Someone distracted me, I turned off the grinder, looked up and proceeded to slice the top of my thumb open.  Now, we we out of town and it was Friday night.  There was no way I was going into urgent care.  It throbbed all night, but stopped by midday Sat.  So my moral is, wear your damn work gloves!  I was able to race on Sat, but barely.  I should have been wearing my work gloves!

Oh, Rae, I'm so sorry that you got hurt too.   My original post was to try and prevent more of these injuries.   While the work gloves might have saved you, the real cause was not paying attention to the tool and what you were doing.   That was my mistake too.   I won't make it again, and I know that you won't either.   We have learned.

THE PROBLEM IS THE PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T LEARNED FROM OUR INJURIES!

Please, people, think carefully about safety every time you pick up a tool.   Think about all the things that could go wrong, and protect yourself from them.   That flake of rust or speck of greasy dirt is just waiting for a chance to fall into your eye.   That drill is lusting for the taste of your blood.   Even your best wrench wants nothing better than to bust your knuckles against the frame.   Every tool you own will turn on you if you let it.   Please don't let it happen to you.   Think!

I totally agree, the odd thing is . . . I always wear my gloves and goggles at home.  It was being on the road that pushed me to be stupid.  Just because you've made it to the track, doesn't mean you should be stupid!  And further more we saw a guy jack his car up from the center and work on it, fully under the car, NO JACKSTANDS!!! Again, don't do stupid things just because you made it to the track!

~stalk us on facebook

CowDriver wrote:

I made my original post to get you guys to stop and think before you do something stupid.   Yet I see you still getting hurt.   Come on now, slow down and THINK!    Please.

And another thing I can no longer do because of no feeling in the tip of my index finger: put a nut on a bolt in a blind location.   I'm trying to learn to do with it my middle finger, but old habits die hard.

You know if you stop to think, you'll think to stop. And then I'd probably be watching TV instead of breaking bones trying to build something. wink

I should be good and careful for another decade or so now.

disarrae wrote:

I totally agree, the odd thing is . . . I always wear my gloves and goggles at home.  It was being on the road that pushed me to be stupid.  Just because you've made it to the track, doesn't mean you should be stupid!  And further more we saw a guy jack his car up from the center and work on it, fully under the car, NO JACKSTANDS!!! Again, don't do stupid things just because you made it to the track!

I'm a lot better about goggles than I used to be, but other than for welding, I can't feel anything with gloves on [insert condom double entendre here]!

When the doc sees my splint on Tuesday, I'm probably going to get an ass chewing....fortunately we have a genuine 50 years in the industry retired mechanic and Modified driver (and father of my partner in this foolishness) coming to get the suspension and brakes in shape...or he'll just push the car out of the garage and torch it for us.

Here's a pic (hopefully) of my thumb a week after the incident.
thumb
https://www.dropbox.com/lightbox/home/Public

~stalk us on facebook

Why we call him Frankenphil:

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 … lshead.jpg

We were pulling motor from a 280Z at Speedycops'. rather than using the cherry picker, we dropped the subfram out from the bottom with the car on the lift. Engine came out, front of car got light, and slid off the lift. Rear hatch wacked Phil. Did not knock him out, or even down. Jamie took him to the ER, we kept working on the car. I'll let Phil recall how many stiches and staples.

Best line of the day: Jeff was worried Phils wife would be mad, we all started laughing. Oh no, we said, this happens all the time!

Fritz

Dahlinboysracing W/Frankenphil  '11 Crown Royal Vic SPWV 73 '12 Tom Sellecka Toyota NJMP 75 SPWV 43 NHMS 65, '13  Toylaren Monticello 120, Daytona 102, SPWV  83 HF! NJMP 41 NHMS 48th '14 Fireball  Integra NJMP 24th NJMP 18th NHMS 90th '15 NJMP 54th Daytona 33RD SPWV 4th Thompson  79th CMP 13th '16 NJMP 43 Thompson 21 CMP 32nd NHMS 24 '17 FB Integra NJMP 68 Cledus Snow Eldorado IGS 118, NCM 24