1,376 (edited by adamjabaay 2012-06-11 05:45 PM)

Re: Never before has so little power been made from so much displacement!

Why not connect the flywheels with regular gears rather than a bunch of gearboxes?

Or a gigantic timing chain like setup ?

Or badass belt?

I know you've probably thought of this already .....curious

adamjabaay wrote:

Why not connect the flywheels with regular gears rather than a bunch of gearboxes?

Or a gigantic timing chain like setup ?

Or badass belt?

I know you've probably thought of this already .....curious

mostly because of the direction reversal and the 3:1 gear ratio need.

oh, here's the other thing. if i were to do it again from scratch, i'd just tilt the motor down a bit, use a single v-drive and a transmission geared for a diesel

Yeah...... ok..lol

II figured youd thought these things through ...

2 idler gears in between the engine /trans gears though? Would keep em spinning same way...like "gear drive" v8 timing setups...

adamjabaay wrote:

Yeah...... ok..lol

II figured youd thought these things through ...

2 idler gears in between the engine /trans gears though? Would keep em spinning same way...like "gear drive" v8 timing setups...

there is nothing wrong with the idea, but unless you want to make custom gears, you really need to find something with the existing gears needed already. you could possibly do it with a couple FWD ring gears and output shafts. not entirely sure.

well, Jay has provisionally approved my turboshaft Lemons build so the motor is getting traded.

This wasn't a blanket approval for the motor style. You'll have to work out your own project with him if you want to do one.

Time to move this car up a few decades worth of technology!

T-55?
1500 rpm's were fun. What you gonna do with 15000?

jiggermyster wrote:

T-55?
1500 rpm's were fun. What you gonna do with 15000?

Tiernay TT10. it's a single shaft stationary power generation unit rated at about 110kW that can be upgraded to it's bigger brother by adding injectors (it was downsized for the military application that only needed 25kW or so)

12,000RPM output but it's silky smooth and 1/2 the torque at peak of the previous motor.

i think i'll breakdown this time and use an automatic trans.

Oh heck yes

just a heads up everyone, the turbine discussion thread has been created here: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 79#p153279

and i have my own epic build forum now smile

Seems like an appropriate time to lock this thread then, and move on to spinnier, louder, hotter things!

jiggermyster wrote:

Seems like an appropriate time to lock this thread then, and move on to spinnier, louder, hotter things!

not quite. i still have videos to post  and goldwing box internal pictures (as soon as i open it)

1,388 (edited by psychoboy 2012-06-13 02:59 PM)

besides, whoever gets this subframe and bits will need to continue the madness.

(and, as far as the concentric shafts go, it's just one: the output of the hydrodrive center section. outboard pump driven by the starter ring loses the need for the third shaft, and the non-existence of planets/sun loses the need for the first.)

Team OK-Speed
Regularly losing in Class A
Soon to start losing in Class C

Marc, be sure to get me the busted-innards drivetrain photos after you take everything apart.

1,390 (edited by Marc 2012-06-14 05:27 PM)

sorry it took a few days to get around to this guys, but here's the vomit cam video:

*edit* the video encoding screwed up, gotta re-render it.

obviously the camera angle idea needs a bit of work.

alright, it took a long time to re-render the video. apparently starting with 28gb of data is too much for my video editor. youtube is just working on optimizing it now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8InG6T9 … e=youtu.be

It's 11minutes of 1080p so i don't know how long it will take to optimize.

Enjoy the vomit cam!

That worked great. Any of the CMOS cameras are going to look like that due to the rolling shutters.

I may rig something like that for our car to put on the webcast for the Fall CMP race.

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

That worked great. Any of the CMOS cameras are going to look like that due to the rolling shutters.

I may rig something like that for our car to put on the webcast for the Fall CMP race.

yeah, i love the angle. and the mount could be made more steady. on an engine that does not try to shake apart the car it would be really neat. I'll definitely be trying it again.

Time for the final summary.

first up us the goldwing box. i figured this thing would look like it was on it's last leg. much to my surprise, it is showing absolutely zero signs of abnormal wear. the oil came out nice and clean and the tooth faces are still perfect.

this is pretty impressive considering the components were spinning what they would be at about 190mph and more torque than a 1st gear launch in the original application. these cheap gearboxes definitely have a future in my toolbox of fun bits to build stuff out of.

the images are huge so i'm just linking them:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Airpl … G_0020.jpg
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Airpl … G_0021.jpg

2nd i suspect is the reason for many of my engine issues. i took off a head when pulling the engine and this is what i found:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/Airpl … G_0022.jpg

i needed to run this motor way hotter to burn that stuff up.

If i were to continue this (i'm not, the motor is already sold) i'd do the following:
1)replace the 3000GT box with something else
2)spend time on a dyno to get the motor to run much better
3)better shift linkage

That's it. I suspect with those three changes, it would have raced all weekend at about 3mpg. but certainly if i were to do it from scratch i'd avoid the two 90degree boxes entirely.

Wow real cold, so it was fouled plugs?
How was the other box?

Is there any technical  reason for red silicone? I am firmly stuck in the belief  black or gray work for everything. (blue for nothing)

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

it did not feel like the plugs were fouling. but it sure looks like it. i suspect the dual LS1 coils per cylinder were able to punch through that grime without issue.

the other box looked like hell. the face of the gears was not so slowly wearing away. the oil looked like high dollar metallic paint.

the red silicone is just because  it's what i stock at home. the gray/black aren't rated high enough in temperature to be used everywhere, the red stuff is. plus i get it from a buddy that is a lawson distributor in a pressurized bottle: http://www.lawsonproducts.com/webapp/wc … FSILICONES

in short "it's easier".

No doubt a little dyno time and a different box and your epic creation would have bankrupt you in fuel consumption.

I have to say those are fouled and will fire but buck, way too much crud for the run time,  if you check all of them you will likely find evidence where the spark had detoured down the center electrode.

Pics of the other box?

Gotya, easier.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

the other box is now in the great junkyard in the sky. i threw it out before leaving joliet.

but picture what bevel gears would look like if you replaced the oil with a polishing compound and then put a ton of torque through it.

It wasn't pretty and even if the welds hadn't failed, the gears would have failed within 50 laps.

you're more than likely correct about the spark detour. but with 5.5:1 compression ratio and no swirl/squish to speak of, it's not like we're hunting for the last 1-2% of performance here.

Tossed? I would have figured it  part of the next IOE trophy!

Not looking for 2%, sure those coils would have fired through most anything, just thinking that could have been part of the bucking, cant wait to see what you create next!

Team Infinniti wrote:

Tossed? I would have figured it  part of the next IOE trophy!

Not looking for 2%, sure those coils would have fired through most anything, just thinking that could have been part of the bucking, cant wait to see what you create next!

oh! that's what you're getting at. i did figure out what the bucking was about lunchtime on sunday. it was the major part of why i had to come in on the strap.

what happened is that megasquirt won't run without a coolant temp sensor. so, given the conspicuous absence of coolant, i placed it in the oil instead. since i had 5 gal of oil and the motor cooled it rather efficiently, it spent most of it's time around 140F and that leaned out my maps only about 10-15% which wasn't bad. but then when i managed to give it the beans a bit more it warmed up the oil a bit more which leaned out the motor and warmed the oil further until it just lean misfired repeately. the kicker was the compression ratio. it masked the lean detonation down to a simple misfire. and since my cylinders weren't perfectly balanced, it would misfire on certain cylinders before others.

when i figured it out, i just changed the cold enrichment table to a flat line and it ran great for 3 laps and then busted the shaft for the 2nd time. maybe because it was finally making proper power.

while i threw out the box, i did keep the guibo flange/broken shaft to potentially make a trophy from it. who do i send it to?