Re: The gas turbine powered MR2 build begins

Marc, are you still thinking of using the turbines as "superchargers" to provide pressurized intake air to the piston engine?

discontinuuity wrote:

Marc, are you still thinking of using the turbines as "superchargers" to provide pressurized intake air to the piston engine?

probably not, i think i'm just going to a V6 instead. keeping it simple.

so a small update, i've been going back and forth on my drivetrain options and i ended up deciding for the 2 speed powerglide setup. it isn't perfect, it eats a bunch of power but it solves a *BUNCH* of issues.

after talking to a couple transmission experts it seems like i'll have to use a manual valve body, but i'll probably use the turbine computer to control the transmission's manual valve body. Park will be removed for safety and the valvebody will be adjusted to make it ideal for this application.

there are two paths i can go, i can get a super tight torque converter or maybe even no converter at all and just modulate the band pressure. keep in mind that i don't have to engage it till the car is moving. so there is no significant slipping/heat buildup. or the alternative which i will try first is a 'loose' converter that does not really drag much till about 4000-4500RPM  and then engages aggressively from there.

the loose converter has more chance of being simple, but i may just lose too much power and decide on the other method. but it will certainly work initially that way.

i'll also need to make some modifications to the valve body to be able to engage 1st gear at high RPM without making it feel like a neutral drop. modulating band pressures will fix that.

Sorry about the false start, I've started a new thread with the proper motor here: http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 94#p183794