1 (edited by f263u 2012-12-19 11:11 AM)

Topic: Team Merch Sales?

I'm trying to shoe-horn in a fuel cell into our car, over the objections of some (probably rightfully so) cost-averse members of the team.

To push us over the edge, I was thinking of printing up a box of our super-stellar, already-oil-and-grease-colored-so-you-can-wrench-with-them-on team shirts and putting them out there at our next race for $20 each to help offset costs. You know, by having YOU pay for it. Sort of like a "Save our Fuel Cell" campaign.

Good idea for grass-roots sponsorship? Capitalist d-bag move? Need 10 for your family? Wish you thought of it first?

Auto Lemon Union www.facebook.com/autolemonunion     
'11 - Point, Sweat, Skank; '12 - Point, Sweat, Vodden, Freeze, '13 Point (+even), Turrible, Vodden, Freeze, '14 Problem, Point, Turrible, Vodden, Freeze, '15 Point, Lemonites, Freeze.

Re: Team Merch Sales?

Having seen other teams travel down this same road, don't count on this being a big moneymaker. Your potential customers are all just as cash-strapped as you are. Even super-cool team t-shirts have a hard time getting sold, it seems.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

^What he said...most shirts are done on a trade basis.  I still have some leftovers from the Wartburg and we didn't even order a lot of them.   People are broke smile

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

4 (edited by BoB 2012-12-19 02:04 PM)

You could try one of the online ones that print on demand.  They cost more so you don't make as much, but you don't have to put any money out and aren't stuck with a bunch of shirts.  Of course we have it set to not make money (although our lack of graphic skills I believe are making them more expensive) and sold 1 shirt to not team or family member of the team, possibly due to the person buying it have head trauma at the time of purchase.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

You could try one of the online ones that print on demand.  They cost more so you don't make as much, but you don't have to put any money out and aren't stuck with a bunch of shirts.  Of course we have it set to not make money (although our lack of graphic skills I believe are making them more expensive) and sold 1 shirt to not team or family member of the team, possibly due to the person buying it have head trauma at the time of purchase.

Lolz!  I rock that thing EVERYWHERE!  big_smile

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Dead Rabbit Society shirt's sold at every car show I went to. only trouble was, everyone else quit working towards "build racecar"

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

I made a bunch of team t-shirts to sell after hearing other teams were selling t-shirts. I got a really good deal from a cousin-in-law who owns a screen printing company. I barely broke even, and I still have a huge box of t-shirts at home. They make good rags.

If you're going to make shirts, make them for your team and a few extras to hand out to the judges or the team that coughs up a spare part you desperately need.

If you still decide you want to sell shirts, make a shirt that kids like and parents are willing to buy them. Putting "The Rusty Nuts" across the top of our shirt was probably a mistake - my son was told to never wear his to school again (apparently middle school boys have the same humor as middle-aged men who think up team names like "The Rusty Nuts"). Also, don't put a date on the shirt - I put the date we were planning on racing at ECR, and selling the shirts after the fact was difficult, especially when we missed ECR and were at MAM.

Well the Pabst Blue Racing team seemed to do ok selling their shirts at the end of Road America.  It helps that everyone really liked their car (Nissan Maxima with a northstar in the back, had to be one of the best sounding cars in Lemons) and wanted to help get it fixed.  It also may of helped that they had pretty women selling the shirts.

So stick a northstar in the back of your car
get pretty women to sell your shirts
get money for a fuel cell

Not sure how you will get the money to do the first 2 steps, which probably cost more than the fuel cell but I'm sure that is just a minor detail for you.

Facebook Page

Thats it, Ive decided!

The Sensory Assault™ Banana Hammock is gonna happen. 

Should be way cheaper to produce and hella cheaper than a ratty T-shirt.

Not to mention that it would make a SWEET gift idea, I'd be surprised if I couldn't quit my day job once the sales money starts rolling in!

Dangerous Banned Technology (NOLA 09), Judges Choice (Houston 2010), Organizers Choice (NOLA 2010), Most Heroic Fix (Dallas 2010), $100 from Jay's Pocket (Dallas 2010), Dangerous Homemade Technology (NOLA 2010), Ununhexium Legends of Lemons Status,  Index of Effluency (Dallas 2011), Most Heroic Fix - (Houston 2011), Index of Effluency (TWS - 2012), Organizers Choice (Dallas 2013)

Just make sure its nomex so it will be safe to wear while racing.

Facebook Page

Bringing the kids to the races does have its share of awkward moments, explaining (or avoiding) the sexual aids that are strapped to some of the race cars...

We've got a family friendly design, though. Anyway, might bring a few extra to the race, since we'll have a second printing for some of our team members, anyway. Look for us at the West Coast races if you're interested.

PunBB bbcode test

Auto Lemon Union www.facebook.com/autolemonunion     
'11 - Point, Sweat, Skank; '12 - Point, Sweat, Vodden, Freeze, '13 Point (+even), Turrible, Vodden, Freeze, '14 Problem, Point, Turrible, Vodden, Freeze, '15 Point, Lemonites, Freeze.