Topic: airplane powered car, with the correct engine this time.

Alright guys, I've been doing lots of thinking and i just wasn't happy with the previous engines.

so i did some digging and found a better engine that i'll be using 100% within it's rated capacity.

It's a Boeing T50-8. it puts out 300HP with a maximum output speed of 6000RPM

This means there will not be a pony motor. The car will operate strictly on jet power routed through the wheels.

here's the new engine:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase4/IMG_0144.JPG

and the data plate:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase4/IMG_0146.JPG

it's got a throttlable mechanical fuel control already and it's rated for continuous use.

first order of business is to get it cleaned and fired up out of the chassis to do a quick systems check.

Re: airplane powered car, with the correct engine this time.

Oh, your neighbors are going to love this project.

Wow.  According to a bit of Wikipedia research, that engine is probably from a 60s Navy helicopter drone.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/QH-50_DD-692_1967.jpg

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Judge Phil wrote:

Oh, your neighbors are going to love this project.

Invite them over. Tell 'em to bring some coat hangers.
Buy a couple packs of hot dogs and marshmallows and have a neighborhood wienie roast.
Oh, that kerosine smell? No worries, just adds flavor...

yes, it's likely out of one of those helicopters. there is no hour meter on the engine so i have no idea how much service it's done. but based on the look of the thing, it could be a zero hour surplus engine. it should be more obvious as i get into it. i have to split the power stage off to check things so i'll see if the turbine blades have much use beyond a factory test fire when i get in there.

speaking of neighbours. new ones moved in last week. this should be a great way to introduce myself!

i picked up the engine from the guy that made this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2459/3651214389_5562e30e81.jpg

The bus has been clocked at 367mph apparently. and he says when he does shows it routinely hits 300+ on an 8000ft runway. the bus was there along with all sorts of other cool toys.

6 (edited by Marc 2013-01-20 05:30 AM)

here are some interesting specs from the rebuild manual:

gas producer speed:
maximum: 38,500RPM
ground idle: 23,000RPM
flight idle:27,000-31,000RPM

(ground idle is sluggish to pick up, flight idle can quickly go from there to full power)

output shaft speed:
Rated: 6000RPM
Maximum Continuous: 6900RPM
Maximum Transient: 7200RPM
ground idle: 2800RPM

here's the temperature and pressure profile:
http://frankensteinmotorworks.com/AirplaneMR2/phase4/T50TempAndPressureProfile.jpg

the parts i find perticularly inteteresting are the airflow speeds. the airflow inside the gas producer is way above supersonic (about 1100 feet per second) and the output stage is taking about 10psi of pressure drop to create 300hp!

there are also some interesting precautions:

"do not use lead pencils, grease pencils or inks containing carbon for marking hot section parts. graphite or lamp black particles deposited on stainless steel will carburize the steel at high temperatures, destroying the corrosion resisting properties. use chalk, soap-stone or approved inks"

"do not use zinc-plated tools on stainless steel parts, stainless steel components corrode rapidly at temperatures above 450C after being scraped or rubbed by zinc plated tools"

this should be fun!

Too friggin' cool!!!  I wish I had your engineering ability.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

8 (edited by Sparky Pete 2013-01-20 12:11 PM)

This is going to be glorious. One way or another...

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Which race are you aiming for?

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Marc wrote:

yes, it's likely out of one of those helicopters. there is no hour meter on the engine so i have no idea how much service it's done. but based on the look of the thing, it could be a zero hour surplus engine. it should be more obvious as i get into it. i have to split the power stage off to check things so i'll see if the turbine blades have much use beyond a factory test fire when i get in there.

speaking of neighbours. new ones moved in last week. this should be a great way to introduce myself!

i picked up the engine from the guy that made this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2459/3651214389_5562e30e81.jpg

The bus has been clocked at 367mph apparently. and he says when he does shows it routinely hits 300+ on an 8000ft runway. the bus was there along with all sorts of other cool toys.

That's the guy that was driving the video I posted in your previous thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1uwjmVrR6U

Was it one of his spares for the outhouse or is it from the outhouse?

Brett85p wrote:

Which race are you aiming for?

there's no specific race, but trying to get it racing within the 2013 season. probably towards the end.

Wade.Moeller wrote:

That's the guy that was driving the video I posted in your previous thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1uwjmVrR6U

Was it one of his spares for the outhouse or is it from the outhouse?

i think the outhouse is JFS100 powered. i did not look at it closely. it was there with the bus and all sorts of other cool toys.

this was just one of a half dozen T50's he had laying around. certainly contact him if you want a jet engine.

I asked him what it was when he was at Airsho he said it was a Boeing 502 which is the company designation for the engine vs. the military T50 designation.

This Ford was put together by a Boeing engineer using a 502-8B.  It's in the LeMay collection but I've never seen them run it:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3237/3061603972_90a529a7ff.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Ahh, then if he said it was a 502 then that's what it was. i had not looked at it very closely. the only thing that sticks out is the exhaust nozzle and that isn't a specific part to any jet.

Subscribed!

'00 Volvo XC - DD
'11 Volvo XC90 V8 - Wife's, V8 go Vroom
'12 Mazda5 - Work Thingy
'05 E450 Ambulance - Work Thingy

Marc wrote:

Alright guys, I've been doing lots of thinking and i just wasn't happy with the previous engines.

So what was the straw that broke the camel's back?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
Marc wrote:

So what was the straw that broke the camel's back?

Mostly, I decided that having a pony motor was "cheating". if i was going to build a jet engine'd car, it better only go on jet power. though i may make an exception for a bit of electric power (10hp or so) to be able to move the vehicle in areas where jet blast isn't safe (on/off the trailer, in a garage, getting out of the neighbourhood, and so on)

the other big factor was the cost. using a more expensive engine saves a bunch of money and reduces the potential failure modes. the fancy transmission assembly was not going to be cheap in both cost and time.

this way, i can flip the rotation direction with a z drive (about $500) and put it in an automatic transmission (say $200?) get some custom bits to hold everything together. the mechanical fuel control's throttle can be directly linked to the driver's foot. honestly the whole thing becomes a simple 4-6 weekends worth of work. add another weekend for a cage and we're in business!

So, what's the car gonna be? I was assuming you would reuse the MR2, but now you speak of caging...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Only logical step I can see from here is speedy cop and marc become

SPEEDYMARC

and combine the speedycop plane car with marcs jet car
Wal lah
Extreme and total
AWESOMENESS.

12. Gingerman , Heroic Fix award
10/12 Autobahn, 51st overall.
Team Apocalyptic Racing
1978 Ecotec Celica.

gullzjr wrote:

Only logical step I can see from here is speedy cop and marc become

SPEEDYMARC

and combine the speedycop plane car with marcs jet car
Wal lah
Extreme and total
AWESOMENESS.

that's just silly. everyone knows cessna 310s were poopeller powered. IF speedycop donates a car to this, I BEG that the geo stretchro be involved.

dead rabbit society: cultured 'n shit.

Well if a new car is required
http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/1962-1963-oldsmobile-f85-jetfire-1.jpg

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

if SpeedyCop and I were closer i'm sure there would have been a joint car by now. but he's way on the east coast and i'm in the mid-west.

I am looking at options for a standard front engine/rwd chassis. it comes down to whatever i can get for lemonish money. I'm looking at E28, E30, FoxBody Mustang, Miata, old celica, supra... that kind of car. i don't have an explicit ok, but i believe this car is budget exempt. so even if the chassis is $800-1000 it's fine but i don't want to overdo it either.

this car won't be competitive over the length of the race. it will probably need about 30gal/hr of fuel so we will have way too many pit stops. but while it's on the track it should be pretty fast.

I don't want a crazy body because i want to plate the car for the street also. you want a decent looking car if you don't want the police targeting you too much in a jet powered car.

I am working with the evil one to see what i can do about the exhaust. essentially i have two exhaust ducts that are 6.5" in diameter each flowing about 800CFM of 1200F air. if i go in a front engine configuration the exhaust routing gets more complicated.

Is the MR2 engine bay shaped wrong?

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

folding the engine on top of the transmission is more complication than i need for this.

i haven't counted it entirely out yet. but i want a more reliable car.

plus the MR2 leaves an issue with where to put the larger fuel tank. it isn't really conducive to a 23-24gal tank.

this could be fun
Was rear engined
Dunno how much space up from for a fuel cell....

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ct … 52102.html

12. Gingerman , Heroic Fix award
10/12 Autobahn, 51st overall.
Team Apocalyptic Racing
1978 Ecotec Celica.