Re: **Good cautionary tale** Don't let this happen to you -- blood & gore

Man, so much stuff happens at Jeff's... I almost got run over by a backyard-spec Isuzu Rodeo a couple years ago, fortunately I was able to move enough out of the way that it just pinned me between its open passenger door and the fender of a junker Country Squire wagon. I was on the phone with Jeff (who was at work, many miles from the house) at the time, and had to muscle (read: bend off the hinges) the door off me so I could breathe.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

77 (edited by LowFlyin 2012-10-25 12:18 PM)

Not automotive related, but power tool related.

I was helping my dad and uncle cut down a dead tree at my grandma's house.

Dad and I were up on 15ft scaffolding cutting down the taller portion of the trunk.  Dad was most of the way through the trunk and I saw that it was leaning our way.

I reached up and pushed the trunk away at the time he raised the chainsaw to do the same.  I'm very lucky I still have a wrist and hand on my left arm and that the damage was all superficial.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/LowFlyinOK/ChainsawPrestitch.jpg

10 stitches in one and 2 in another.  6 total lacerations.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/LowFlyinOK/ChainsawPoststitch.jpg

Team OK-Speed : Civic Tape-R and Spec Piñata (RIP)
2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - I Got Screwed || 2012 Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas - Judges Choice
2012 North Dallas Hooptie - Personal Scolding from Jay "Award" || 2012 Heaps in the Heart of Texas - Judges Choice
2014 Shine Country Classic - Heroic Fix || 2015 Doing Time in Joliet - Class B Win!

You are sooooooooooo lucky. That one has me twitching a little bit.

Next time you're helping, do it with a rope from the ground, or hire the James the narcoleptic tree cutter.

I seem to be good at stories for this thread.

Short version: during my unsuccessful attempts at building a spare turbocharger from the remains of three junk ones, I was removing an O2 sensor with a 7/8" wrench and leaning my whole 200 lb. frame into it. The sensor's "bolt head" rounded off, and I managed to get a turbo downpipe elbow and wrench to the ribcage with the resulting "pop" noise from my body. I'm on an ice, ibuprofen, and bourbon with ice therapy regimen so I can drive this weekend.

Guess I shouldn't be allowed near hand tools, either. Next time, I put the torch to it first so it loosens up like butter.

I had a similar experience with a Dremel and a cut off wheel.  I was upside down under the dash of my truck enlarging a hole for a new stereo.  Without warning (is there ever a warning?) the cut off wheel shattered.  Thankfully I was wearing safety glasses, because there was a deep gouge in one lens.  I'm sure I'd be wearing glass eye if I hadn't had those safety glasses on.  When I'm working on cars I wear safety glasses religiously.

Regarding the crushing of old cars, FDWheelMan says:

This makes Baby Jesus cry...

No matter how thick the callouses are on your hands, when the grinder finds the backside of your knuckle it's going deep. Wear your leather gloves.

CowDriver wrote:

One lesson from this, in the immortal words of Mae West, "Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."

Like driving? smile

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Just today while helping RichVS start the newest engine for the Checker cab, while at about 2500 rpm the rad cap came off and hit the fan which blasted pieces all around me. Scared all hell outta me. Blew the cap into multiple pieces. None of the large bits actually hit me. Felt a few small pieces bounce off me. Put a Hella nice dent in the fan blade.

Captain of the Speedholes Wrenching #365 1965 Rambler Marlin and owner of the "Cockroach 454 Chevy Bigblock". Collector Emeritus of awful crapcans.
Earned every finish with Blood, Sweat, Tears,  Smoked brakes,dead wheelbearings, two blower explosions, and a never-ending thirst for more fuel. Finished em all! Currently hiding in a secret base in the shadow of the "Race to the Clouds".

Literally thinking about this thread while in the shop this afternoon.